PMS - weight gain....

Options
So...ladies, I am sure I am not the only one that sees the scale rise a tad before TOM. My question is...how much do you gain?? Me, I notice that the few days before, I can be like 1 pound heavier...and usually the day before it can be almost two pounds. I SLAM the water down during those days too.

Just curious what everyone else's experiences are...I don't want to think I am actually gaining weight!!! YIKES! :sad:

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Before my surgery for ovarian cysts and uteran polyps, I would gain anywhere from 6 to 10 pounds in a week. OMG!

This time (2nd cycle post surgery) I actually lost weight during. So I don't know.

I DO know that it's just water bloat and if you cut caffeine during TOM, and drink TONS of water, you won't bloat so badly.

The good news is, on your next weigh in (when TOM is over) you'll look like you lost a TON!

:)
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Same here. If I continue on in spite of the gain, I an actually lose more after. It all even out in the wash. BUT that's assuming I can control my cravings!!!!
  • angelinah
    Options
    During our TOM we women tend to retain a lot of water due to hormonal changes. I have the same problem and it worried me just as it worries you. Bloating is also extremely common.

To avoid water retention it's helpful to reduce your sodium intake (because that always retains water), or try taking some calcium supplements. Keep exercising, regardless of whether or not your want to. Also, try limiting your caffeine intake if you drink a lot of coffee.

Hope this helps!
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i gained 5-7 lbs this month before TOM and im still waiting for it to show up.....should be any day now :grumble:
  • rdy2begin
    Options
    I do as well ..have finally stopped weighing in as often ,because it was becoming obsessive and discouraging ...:)
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think everybody is different in regards to home much weight they gain during TOM. My remedy for this problem is not to way yourself while your on. I never do, and I wait at least 3 days after it's over before I weigh in. Cuts down on unnecessary disappointments.
  • petchonka82
    Options
    I'll usually drop a pounds or two and then BAM! gain like 4. :( You can try taking a low dose OTC diuretic the week leading up to help reduce water retention and bloating. Don't overstress about it though, it's usually just water weight. My major problem is I get crazy hungry the first few days, bottomless pit hungry, so fighting the urges is war. :)
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I generally gain 2-5 lbs. I can usually keep it at bay by watching sodium, not giving into sweets, keeping up with exercise (which helps with cramps), and drinking lots of water. My Mom has a friend who gained 10 lbs when it was her TOM. OUCH!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I actually tracked it for the first time. Start: 124.4. The week before I popped up to 125 even a stayed that for 3 days. It crept up over the weekend and by Day 1 I was about 128. I have dropped a pound each day I have been on it. I am now back under 125 (Was 124.8 this morning).

As long as I keep my mind off of watching the numbers go up it was interesting to watch. And I do eat more carbs and sugars right before it but it didn't affect my weight because once it starts I lose interest in food for a couple of days.

NOTE: since I started eating healthy and cutting out crap foods and junk foods I don't get the PMS symptoms as bad and my cramps are nowhere near like they used to be.
  • breeze83
    Options
    the last week i've been bloated and just felt like crap...i gained 3-4 pounds but i kept with the cardio and the calorie counting...only gave in to cravings twice...had three cookies one day and another day i had one dark chocolate kiss, lol...but today i finally started and i weighed this morning and i was down .08 pounds...so now i don't feel bloated anymore and i think by the time aunt flow is gone i'll probably lose a couple more...just stick with it!! i was late for work this morning cuz i hade a wardrobe crisis---none of my pants fit, they were all too baggy! so.....i just threw on the least baggy ones and hauled my *kitten* to work, haha...hang in there!!
  • trudypickles
    Options
    That sounds very sensible, I was very dissapointed and disheartened :sad: this month when my TOM came around...... Not weighing next month, Im Just going to keep up with the diet and exercise xx
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I gain atleast 4 lbs. Hopefully that same 4 falls back off plus some more.
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I gained almost 4 lbs this time around - waiting for it any day now. I don't let it bother me cause I know its just the water weight. In fact it usually makes me watch my foods a little more and push a little harder with the cardio so when Aunt Flo leaves town I'm down a pound or so overall. I still weigh myself everyday despite the gain because it helps me track it better.
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Try to avoid the scale. I get depressed when i get on the scale during TOM... I usually gain 4 to 8 lbs but about 2 days after I am all better (if i dont emotionally eat from the weight jump) I did not realize the my TOM was causing this. Try not to stress about it and most importantly keep up the exercising and eating healthy... I feel an inner war waging when i get my TOM... I cant even see chocolate or else I will have the urge to stuff my face until its all gone... -_- i am trying to work on that...
  • BuddhaBelly79
    Options
    i gained 5-7 lbs this month before TOM and im still waiting for it to show up.....should be any day now :grumble:

Amen sister, I feel your pain - 5 pound gain here as well, and anytime in the next 5 days. I am SO relieved to know that it's PMS water gain......thank goodness. I was totally stressing, lol.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I came cross this thread this morning! I'm doing a community weight loss program (started last week)...and this week the scales have not budged at all! I've been working out every night and meticulously counting my calories! I hope I can chalk it up to PMS since it's going to start any day now! Grrrr....note to self to stay off the scales next month!
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This time I was up 6 lbs and then it finally came down a week later. Yeah, for me usually 3-6 lbs of water weight...puffy, horrible, water weight. ; )
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm suddenly aware of why I've been eating so much lately...lmao. ;) Too funny.
  • anfmusicgrl
    anfmusicgrl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Always gain, between 1-4lbs. The day it's over it instantly goes down. I take in A LOT of water, exercise as normal, and watch sodium, still have the gain. I'd say it's somewhat unavoidable for some people, either that or I don't know the magical trick. :)
  • l2rell
    l2rell Posts: 88
    Options

Amen sister, I feel your pain - 5 pound gain here as well, and anytime in the next 5 days. I am SO relieved to know that it's PMS water gain......thank goodness. I was totally stressing, lol.

I feel you too I've gained approx 4-5ib had symptoms since saturday waiting or it too show up and then hopefully quickly does one!!totally stressing here!!