Picky Eater..... HELP

ecattau
ecattau Posts: 6
edited September 23 in Recipes
Ok, so I wish I could say that I have a child that is a picky eater, but it's totally me. I love all the foods that are cheap and bad for you. I my not a big fan of veggie (especially cooked). I have been eating a ton of fruit and I don't mind tuna. We also don't have a ton of money to spend of food too! I'm really excited about living a healthier life, but I just need help getting there. Does anyone have any good tips, recipes, or words of wisdom to help?

Replies

• bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    well. what other types of food do you like?
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Oh boy, I don't think there is an easy answer for you. If you crave the cheap starchy stuff, changes are going to have to happen. Perhaps you could start by adding small amounts of good stuff to the bad stuff and gradually wean yourself off the carbs.

For instance, you could start with mac & cheese (I assume you like this?) and add cooked all white meat ground turkey and a green veggie of choice - maybe green beans or chopped broccoli, add some seasonings. That kind of thing would be a start. Try weaning yourself off the white carbs and chemical foods and I think you will learn to like the good stuff.

It really is true that you have to try a new food many times before you become used to it and for some people many more times before you like it. You can do this if you try hard enough - baby steps!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    I used to be the same way, hated anything healthy, loved processed food etc. All I can say is that your body will eventually not crave any of that junk anymore! The thought of McDonalds or pizza grosses me out now.:sick: I cant and wont eat it. It's like your body is addicted to it and with time (a few weeks or so), you will have broken that addiction. I do still crave some chocolate every once in a while hehe
    Just start trying new things, you'll be surprised at what you like.
    Spaghetti squash, sugar snap peas, vita tops, artichokes, cabbage, bok choy...
    Try making a stir-fry with lots of good fresh veggies!
    Good luck! Just give it a few weeks and you will see a big change!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    I read that it can take kids 15 times trying a vegetable before developing a taste for it... I'd have to imagine it's the same or even more for adults.

So I guess my advice would be to try, try, try again and eventually veggies won't seem so bad.

This recipe converted my hubby... he freely admits that he totally hated broccoli before I made it:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/broccoli-and-bow-ties-recipe/index.html

Soups are also a great way to get lots of veggies in
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    I have the same issue. I'm a super taster so I have really hard time with things because they taste really bitter to me.
    Tip #1 Chinese food. As long as he stuff isn't fried the combo of sauce and a bite of chicken covers the veggie taste and it's very healthy and easy to make at home. Just skip the fried rice and put it on 1/2 cup of brown rice.
    Tip#2 Italian foods. I buy the super veggie pasta sauce. I never notice the extras in there but it really helps. Put 3/4 of that sauce (you can even add a little bit of frozen carrot or zucchini to it if you are feeling brave) over a sauteed chicken breast with 1 cup of whole wheat penne and top with a sprinkle of skim mozzarella. You'll be stuffed, happy and have a serving of veggies.
    Tip#3 Fruitables or V8splash. I use these at times to replace a snack since they have calories in them but they are delicious and have a serving of veggies.

Other than that, try to find the things you like. For me it's a baked sweet potato with faux butter and cinnamon instead of brown sugar or even SP fries. Baked and dipped in ketchup, I swear they taste good!! I also like steam in the bag peas with butter and garlic and grilled asparagus and I like carrots/celery in something like a roast or soup. You just have to work around it. And be happy about fruit. Fruit is delicious.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    I used to be the same way, hated anything healthy, loved processed food etc. All I can say is that your body will eventually not crave any of that junk anymore! The thought of McDonalds or pizza grosses me out now.:sick: I cant and wont eat it.

The same thing happened to me. I did a carb fast to start me out on this journey because I heard it can help break cravings. After it was over I went on a trip for Thanksgiving and so I tried to eat McDonalds. I almost threw up. After a month of only lean meats and veggies it was one of the most disgusting things I have ever had. I now have zero desire to eat fast food. It really doesn't even taste good, we have just taught our bodies that that kind of things is food.
  • gamommy2
    gamommy2 Posts: 117 Member
    I have 2 kids that are picky eaters! My daughter who is now 9 is now eating brussel sprouts of all things! My son is still picky but adding a little more veggies and he's 6, seems like it takes forever. I grab for the junkfood from time to time and realize it just makes mine whiny for more. I have to keep looking for new recipes allrecipes.com (annies fruit salsa is really good) and keep talking to them about how important it is to eat healthy; physically, smarts, heart. We all learn by repitition , they'll eventually get it. Try not to give up no matter how hard it is.
  • Well if you prefer your veggies raw, they're healthier that way so eat them raw. Try dipping them. Carrots and broccoli in fat free ranch (if you don't like fat free, try low fat for a while then try fat free). Sliced bell peppers dipped in fat free catalina dressing. Try a new veggie every week or something. Or stir fry them with some chicken and some light dressing. Then put a veggie and chicken together in each bite. Low Sodium V-8 is good. Even if you don't like it, you can drink it down fast lol. Also, eat the fruits that are high in vitamins and stuff. Here is a link that shows the content of a lot of fruits.

http://www.healthalternatives2000.com/fruit-nutrition-chart.html
  • Do you have a scratch & dent type of grocery store near you? We have one that stocks a LOT of healthier types of foods. And it's CHEAP. If you can find a store like that, you could buy different types of foods to try and it would give you some experimental elbow room money-wise. Good luck.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    I close my eyes when I see fast food commercials! Checkers and Burger King are the WORST!! lol
    I used to be the same way, hated anything healthy, loved processed food etc. All I can say is that your body will eventually not crave any of that junk anymore! The thought of McDonalds or pizza grosses me out now.:sick: I cant and wont eat it.

The same thing happened to me. I did a carb fast to start me out on this journey because I heard it can help break cravings. After it was over I went on a trip for Thanksgiving and so I tried to eat McDonalds. I almost threw up. After a month of only lean meats and veggies it was one of the most disgusting things I have ever had. I now have zero desire to eat fast food. It really doesn't even taste good, we have just taught our bodies that that kind of things is food.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Not all veggies are healthier raw. Some actually have more of their beneficial nutrients when cooked.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier

If you can stand to eat them more if they're raw, go for it though. You're treating your body well either way!
  • Well if you prefer your veggies raw, they're healthier that way so eat them raw. Try dipping them. Carrots and broccoli in fat free ranch (if you don't like fat free, try low fat for a while then try fat free). Sliced bell peppers dipped in fat free catalina dressing. Try a new veggie every week or something. Or stir fry them with some chicken and some light dressing. Then put a veggie and chicken together in each bite. Low Sodium V-8 is good. Even if you don't like it, you can drink it down fast lol. Also, eat the fruits that are high in vitamins and stuff. Here is a link that shows the content of a lot of fruits.

That sounds great! The veggies and fat free dressing would be great at work! Thank you! :)
  • I used to be the same way, hated anything healthy, loved processed food etc. All I can say is that your body will eventually not crave any of that junk anymore! The thought of McDonalds or pizza grosses me out now.:sick: I cant and wont eat it.

Thank you, it gives me hope! :)
This discussion has been closed.