The Carb Lover's Survival Guide

Options
12 ways to satisfy your cravings without the calories.

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100185421&GT1=10807

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    12 ways to satisfy your cravings without the calories.

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100185421&GT1=10807
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti-carb, but some of the ideas were good - always try to add veggies to your diet. I've tried the cauliflower "mashed potatoes" - maybe it's because I hate cauliflower and I was trying to eat them anyway - I couldn't stand it.

For the portabello pizza - this is wonderful. I take portabellos, scoop out the inside a bit, fill with a spinach, low-fat ricotta and mozzarella mixture, then make a bread crumb/parmesan crust. Spray crust with cooking spray and bake at 350 or so for 30 minutes. Serve in warm marinara sauce. This is adapted from a very popular spa I used to work at.
  • rperr30
    rperr30 Posts: 35
    Options
    What are these 12 ways to satisfy your cravings without calories? Sounds Great!

I cant get on the website link from here!!

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    Just copy and then paste the link on your browser.

It's just ideas of replacing some of your fave foods with healthier ones.
    Here are a few ideas:

Hash browns

Substitute: Squash for potatoes

Summer squash (the football-shaped yellow kind) tastes similar to potatoes when cooked—but has just a fraction of the carbs. Grate the squash, mix in an egg as binder, make patties, and fry them in olive oil, says Mary Dan Eades, M.D., co-author of The Low-Carb Comfort Food Cookbook.

Carbs eliminated: About 15 grams (g) per hash-brown patty

The taste: "Not as firm and crispy as regular hash browns, but the potato flavor is there."
    Mashed potatoes

Substitute: Cauliflower for potatoes

One of Dr. Agatston's favorites: Steam some fresh or frozen cauliflower in the microwave. Then spray the cauliflower with butter substitute, add a little nonfat half-and-half substitute, and puree in a food processor or blender. "Salt and pepper to taste and you've got something that quite honestly can compete with the real thing any day," says Dr. Agatston. To make it even better, try adding roasted garlic, cheese, or sour cream to the mixture.

Carbs eliminated: 30 g per cup

The taste: "After a couple of bites, you forget it's not potatoes."
    Lasagna

Substitute: Zucchini slices for noodles

Slice four to five medium-size zukes lengthwise into 3/4-inch-thick strips, instructs Lise Battaglia, a New Jersey chef whose past clients include Jon Bon Jovi. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on the strips, place them in a single layer on a nonstick cookie sheet, and bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes. You want them firm, not crisp. "Then simply make the lasagna as you normally would, replacing lasagna noodles with the baked zucchini," she says.

Carbs eliminated: 36 g per serving

The taste: "Delicious. The zucchini provides texture that you don't get from noodles alone."
    Pancakes

Substitute: Oatmeal and cottage cheese for pancake mix

Here's a can't-fail recipe from The South Beach Diet. Mix together half a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal, a quarter cup of low-fat cottage cheese, two eggs, and a dash each of vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Process in a blender until smooth. Cook the mixture like a regular pancake.

Carbs eliminated: 45 g per pancake

The taste: "With syrup, you could never tell the difference."
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi Heathier_Me, I've had the same problem trying to get to the site too, I don't know why though. I copied and pasted and it won't come up.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Thats strange :ohwell:
    Well, this is the info:

More of us would become citizens of Low-Carb Nation if it weren't for the daunting loyalty oath. We're asked to renounce allegiance to such potentates as bagels, pasta, and potatoes. And even though we know that low-carbohydrate dieting works, giving up your favorite carbs can be tough.

"The best way to cut carbs from your diet is to make creative substitutions," says Arthur Agatston, M.D., author of The South Beach Diet. "That way you can still eat the foods you love, without busting your diet." Dr. Agatston told us how to make cauliflower taste like mashed potatoes.

Other nutrition experts gave us tricks for cutting white flour, pasta, and potatoes and replacing them with lower-carb alternatives that taste nearly identical. We then had some loyal carbo-cravers taste-test these dishes. Turns out some of them are so good, you'll wonder why you weren't eating them in the first place.

Hash browns

Substitute: Squash for potatoes

Summer squash (the football-shaped yellow kind) tastes similar to potatoes when cooked—but has just a fraction of the carbs. Grate the squash, mix in an egg as binder, make patties, and fry them in olive oil, says Mary Dan Eades, M.D., co-author of The Low-Carb Comfort Food Cookbook.

Carbs eliminated: About 15 grams (g) per hash-brown patty

The taste: "Not as firm and crispy as regular hash browns, but the potato flavor is there."

Mashed potatoes

Substitute: Cauliflower for potatoes

One of Dr. Agatston's favorites: Steam some fresh or frozen cauliflower in the microwave. Then spray the cauliflower with butter substitute, add a little nonfat half-and-half substitute, and puree in a food processor or blender. "Salt and pepper to taste and you've got something that quite honestly can compete with the real thing any day," says Dr. Agatston. To make it even better, try adding roasted garlic, cheese, or sour cream to the mixture.

The taste: "After a couple of bites, you forget it's not potatoes."

Lasagna

Substitute: Zucchini slices for noodles

Slice four to five medium-size zukes lengthwise into 3/4-inch-thick strips, instructs Lise Battaglia, a New Jersey chef whose past clients include Jon Bon Jovi. Sprinkle Italian seasoning on the strips, place them in a single layer on a nonstick cookie sheet, and bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes. You want them firm, not crisp. "Then simply make the lasagna as you normally would, replacing lasagna noodles with the baked zucchini," she says.

Carbs eliminated: 36 g per serving

The taste: "Delicious. The zucchini provides texture that you don't get from noodles alone."

Spaghetti

Substitute: Spaghetti squash for spaghetti

A cooked spaghetti squash is like Mother Nature's automatic spaghetti maker — the flesh becomes noodle-like strands. "All you have to do is cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Then place each half — cut side down — on a plate with a quarter cup of water," says Elizabeth Perreault, a chef at Colorado's Culinary School of the Rockies. Nuke the squash for 10 minutes or until it's soft to the touch. Let it cool, then scrape out the "spaghetti" strands and top with pasta sauce and cheese.

The taste: "Great. Spaghetti squash has exactly the same consistency as real pasta."

Pancakes

Here's a can't-fail recipe from The South Beach Diet. Mix together half a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal, a quarter cup of low-fat cottage cheese, two eggs, and a dash each of vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Process in a blender until smooth. Cook the mixture like a regular pancake.

Scalloped potatoes

Substitute: Tempeh for potatoes

You may think you don't like soy-based foods, but that could be because you don't cook them right, says Beckette Williams, R.D., a San Diego-based personal chef. "Tempeh can be really bland, but if you jazz it up with herbs and spices, it's a great substitute for potatoes." Her recommendation: Saute a couple of cups of thinly diced tempeh with garlic and onions. Then pour a cheese sauce (sharper is better) over the tempeh cubes and bake for half an hour.

Carbs eliminated: 11 g per cup

The taste: "Just like a slightly nutty baked potato."

Macaroni and Cheese

Substitute: Diced vegetables for macaroni

Even instant mac and cheese can go lower-carb; use only half the pasta in the box and bulk it up with a couple of cups of frozen mixed vegetables, says Sandra Woodruff, R.D., co-author of The Good Carb Cookbook.

Carbs eliminated: 13 g per cup

The taste: "I hate broccoli, but I wouldn't mind eating this."

Pasta salad

Substitute: Mixed vegetables or black beans for half the pasta

Same idea as the mac and cheese, but try black beans, diced tomatoes, and chunks of ham, tuna, chicken, or hard-boiled eggs, suggests Richard Ruben, an instructor at the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City. "These kinds of salads are a blank slate, so you can top them with anything from a creamy blue-cheese dressing to vinaigrette, or even lime juice and slices of avocado," Ruben says.

Carbs eliminated: 10 g per cup

The taste: "Awesome. I don't miss the extra pasta at all."

Cheese-flavored chips

Substitute: Low-fat string cheese for chips

Just crazy enough to work: Cut sticks of string cheese into quarter-inch-thick slices and scatter the rounds on a cookie sheet coated with nonstick spray, leaving them an inch or two apart. Bake at 375 degrees F for 4 to 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. Let them cool, then peel the chips off the tray.

Carbs eliminated: Up to 90 g per serving

The taste: "Like the cheese you pull off the top of a pizza."

Pizza

Substitute: Portobello mushrooms for pizza crust

Cut the gills out of the inside of the mushroom, says Ruben, "then place the mushroom on an oiled cookie sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes so it dries out slightly." Add tomato sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni or other toppings and broil until the cheese begins to melt.

Carbs eliminated: About 20 g per slice

The taste: "Like pizza, but moister. Give me a fork!"

Beef-a-Roni

Substitute: Eggplant for pasta

Mixing diced eggplant with ground beef is healthier and more highbrow than this old skillet special — call it moussaka American style. You have to soften the eggplant first, says Williams. Cut it in half, brush it with olive oil, and then broil for 10 to 20 minutes. "Let it cool, dice it up, and mix with hamburger, tomato sauce, and spices," she says.

Carbs eliminated: 26 g per cup

The taste: "Exactly like Hamburger Helper, in a good way."

Sandwiches

Substitute: Napa or Chinese cabbage for bread

Slap your turkey and Swiss onto a leaf of cabbage and roll it up. "I've made some great-tasting BLTs using cabbage instead of bread," Battaglia says. Dip the roll in low-fat mayonnaise or mustard.

Carbs eliminated: 29 g per sandwich

The taste: "Better than eating plain cold cuts."
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Pancakes

Hey, those are almost protein pancakes! The recipe I use also has protein powder in it. Awesome, I love that recipe. :smile:
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I love how it says, "with syrup, you could never tell the difference"

If you are going to put syrup on it, why bother? :noway:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I love how it says, "with syrup, you could never tell the difference"

If you are going to put syrup on it, why bother? :noway:

Haha you can buy sugar free syrup at any grocery store :smile:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Pancake without syrup??
    *icck!!*
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I've made the lazagna before, that one I know, I think I would like the Portabello mushroom, I know I love the cauliflower potatos, it's a favorite when I go out to eat, but what is Tempeh and where would I find it. I can't wait to try the pancakes, I have to get some cottage cheese. I have used spaghetti squash for pasta before. These are really good ideas, sorry i couldn't make the link work and thanks for taking the time to post this. ~Karen
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I have to try the squash spaghetti & mashed cauliflower for my girls.
    They love spisghetti:laugh:

I have no idea what Tempeh is.
    I wanna try the pancakes too!!:bigsmile:
    I'm going food shopping tomorrow so I'll pick the ingredients up.

It was my pleasure Karen:smile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    Options

I have no idea what Tempeh is.
    I wanna try the pancakes too!!:bigsmile:
    I'm going food shopping tomorrow so I'll pick the ingredients up.

Tempeh is a type of soy protein. It's got more of a steak like texture than tofu, so it's usually used in "fake red meat" substitutes. Makes a great BLT.
  • rperr30
    rperr30 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thankyou for your help i will definately try some of these recipes!

I f you find any more let me know!

:flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    You are very welcome.
    I will look for more substitutes and will post if I find anymore.

~Joanna
  • pecksun8
    Options
    bump*
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Wow, the pancake recipe and cauliflower mashed "potatoes" both sound like really good choices!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    :happy:
  • lesszmore
    Options
    oh these sound really good.. i LOVE pancakes and sure will give these a try. THANKS!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Chubby Bunny, and I LOVE CARBS!

I have tried the lasagna, I loved it, family wasn't so thrilled....pansies.
    I wish they had some awesome lower carb bread recipes that were practical.....cause I LOVE bread!