Pickles vs cucumbers

Options
Why is it that pickles have 0 calories and cucumbers have 8 calories per 0.5 cup? Does the pickeling process some how take out the calories? I know pickles are high in sodium, but I was just curious about pickles vs cucumbers and the calorie count of them......:huh:

Replies

• vseifert
    Options
    Not sure why on this. Def. bread and butter have cals. as there is a lot of sugar in them. I'll have to check this out. Not sure if I could eat pickles all day long, even though I love them and even if they are 0 cals. haha
  • pdarg
    pdarg Posts: 2
    Options
    From what I understand, the lime used in the pickeling process changes the structure of the natural sugars in the fruit (yes it's a fruit) to become "un-absorbable"... You are however, correct - very very high in sodium.

I, like anyone else, may be wrong at any given time.

Cheers!

PD
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    Interesting.... id have to take the cucumber over the pickle though...
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    I have all ways wondered the same thing. My boyfriend is an analytical chemist. I should ask him but, the above post sounds about right.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love them both. hehe But try for pickles only on occasions because of sodium. Even worse I have an strong affinity for sweet pickles. EEK
  • lmclaine
    lmclaine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I looked this up a long time ago hoping and hoping that dill pickles would have some nutritional value since I was addicted to them. I used to eat one before I went to bed every night rather than dessert! Unfortunately, all they have is a boatload of sodium and about 5-10 calories per pickle. I have weaned myself off of the daily comsumption but I would still rather have a nice big Mt. Olive pickle than a cookie or cupcake!