I just need a break from CHICKEN!

Options
So I have been doing really well salads every day for lunch, changing things up like, one day i'll have some corn with it, or some sunflower seeds, or a diff dressing, or this week I bought baby shrimps and I have put some hot sauce on them to spice the veggie taste up a bit... Then dinner, I have been sticking to Grilled or baked Chicken with veggies and sometimes fish with veggies, well I need a Change!!! And I know the boyfriend is prob. craving something different too since he's been really good about eating what I have been even though he never gains weight! hahah - and yesterday he cleaned the whole house before I got home from work - so I was trying to think of a good compromise

So Here is my idea -

Portebella-Hamburgers w/ baked sweet potato fries

I am going to take the leanest Ground Beef -93% and patty out the burgers - inbetween each I am going to put a measured out portion of a flavor of low fat cheeze I was thinking Mozzerella - fat free prob. & sauteed green peppers. So it's like a stuffed burger. Then I will grill the large portebella Mushroom slices and stick the burger inbetween two slices. (no bread for me!)

Then baked sweet pot. fries... cut the sweet potatos a little salt and pepper to taste maybe some fresh rosemary and garlic and bake those.

Thoughts??? I am going to add up the calories and see what I get. I am thinking it won't be too terribly much... Maybe I'll do an extra workout before dinner just in case!

-Manda

Replies

• bigskinner
    Options
    lean pork is good, i use tesco lean pork strips at times. turkey mince is the best if you are bored of chicken, or plain old lean mince.

how can you get bored of chicken the varieties of how to cook are endless lol
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    i found turkey brots theyre huge 220 calories a pop i put them in a pita also i bought some cheap um sirloin ish meat i plan on making fajita pitas :)
  • eanerllij1973
    eanerllij1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How are you with fish? A great cut of fish is wonderful, and as far as beef, a good lean steak is better than hamburger. And soups are awesome! I have a great Thai Soup that is not much calorie-wise and tastes yummy- You take 2 can vegetable broth, 2 cans light coconut milk, a package of sliced mushrooms, handful of cilantro, 1 tbsp. minced garlic, 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger & juice from 2 limes. Heat it to bubbly & let it simmer for about 10 minutes. You can also add red pepper flakes to make it spicy. My hubby likes it over rice noodles, but I just like it plain.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    it sounds nice, i cant eat mushrooms though they make me ill, even though i love them..isnt it always the way!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You can eat shrimp.

“Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it.:happy:
  • eanerllij1973
    eanerllij1973 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could always take them out and substitute something else, like maybe tofu?
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You can eat shrimp.

“Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich... That's, that's about it.:happy:

Nice.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    93% isn't the leanest GB look for 96%. Also try bison, it's not super super lean but it's mentioned a lot in the Eat Clean Diet books.
    shrimp, fish, 99% fat free ground turkey
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    How about ground turkey instead of ground beef? The possibilities are endless... tacos, burgers, casseroles, etc. Anything you can do with ground beef you can do with ground turkey and it's SO much leaner!

And seafood is a great option, too!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    When I need a break from chicken, my GO-TO is pork tenderloin. It cooks quickly pan-seared and then in the oven for 15 mins, and it tastes great with just a little sauce, rub or marinade. It is quite lean, high protein, and you can usually find it on sale for around $2.99CA per pound.
  • mandalina23
    Options
    Mmm Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions!! I'll let you know the ending results... but at least I have plenty of ideas for a more colorful diet with variety when the normal go to diet foods start getting to me. Thanks again everyone!!
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious! What time is dinner?! lol

I make "Chipotle" rip-off salads at home and they are very good. (Chipotle, if you don't know, is a restraunt where you get these enormous build-your-own-type burritos. They also make "bowls"). You can start at the bottom layer and add rice and/or black beans or another bean of your choice, followed by grilled onions and bell peppers, then your meat -- I love this with chopped up steak meat -, followed by optional toppings such as: guacamole, corn, sour cream. Then you add hot sauce and top it off with lettuce and cheese.

It is fabulous! And you can make it pretty low cal by using ff sour cream or low fat cheese, etc. I make my own salsa with canned tomatoes, jalepeno, garlic cloves, cilantro, and a touch of garlic salt and run it all through the blender. This type of salsa works perfect for the bowl.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You can eat shrimp.

LMAO - Love me some Bubba Gump!
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Watch out for ground turkey some brands are really fatty so read the labels. I try to find ground turkey breast instead. I like to make whole wheat spaghetti and add ground turkey breast to like Trader Joe's Vodka sauce or something similar that's organic and does not have high fructose corn syrup.

Don't forget that turkey bacon can be worse for you than regular center cut pork bacon.

Last night I cooked two turkey breast tenderloins. I think they were the Applewood flavor Jennie-O brand. It was a nice change from pork tenderloin and chicken. I usually have left-overs to dice up in a green salad for lunch the next day.

Tonight I'm serving White Bean Chicken Chili.....can't wait!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    So I have been doing really well salads every day for lunch, changing things up like, one day i'll have some corn with it, or some sunflower seeds, or a diff dressing, or this week I bought baby shrimps and I have put some hot sauce on them to spice the veggie taste up a bit... Then dinner, I have been sticking to Grilled or baked Chicken with veggies and sometimes fish with veggies, well I need a Change!!! And I know the boyfriend is prob. craving something different too since he's been really good about eating what I have been even though he never gains weight! hahah - and yesterday he cleaned the whole house before I got home from work - so I was trying to think of a good compromise

So Here is my idea -

Portebella-Hamburgers w/ baked sweet potato fries

I am going to take the leanest Ground Beef -93% and patty out the burgers - inbetween each I am going to put a measured out portion of a flavor of low fat cheeze I was thinking Mozzerella - fat free prob. & sauteed green peppers. So it's like a stuffed burger. Then I will grill the large portebella Mushroom slices and stick the burger inbetween two slices. (no bread for me!)

Then baked sweet pot. fries... cut the sweet potatos a little salt and pepper to taste maybe some fresh rosemary and garlic and bake those.

Thoughts??? I am going to add up the calories and see what I get. I am thinking it won't be too terribly much... Maybe I'll do an extra workout before dinner just in case!

-Manda

That sounds good! I'm coming to your house for supper!
    I like to hollow out my patties and cram'em full of spinach and mozzarella.

I'm getting hungry... what time are we eating?
  • mandalina23
    Options
    Ok I did the ground beef... I made the burgers and I used two pieces of lettuce as my "bun" - - total 278 Cals for the burger mushrooms and all! :) Oh my, it was def def def Goooooood! hahah I'll post the recipe!

The entire meal if you include the baked sweet potato fries it's just over 400 cal's for the meal... I couldn't finish the whole meal though. It was a deeeelish meal. Back to grilled poultry and fresh veggies now!!!

Good night all!