Potassium

Options
So I learned yesterday that potassium helps with sodium. I know there are some foods that naturally contain it, but I was wondering about supplements. Do they work? And, if they do, what kind? They have a variety of kinds of potassium, such as potassium gluconate, potassium citrate, potassium iodide, etc. What kind is best?

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a Potassium supplement with very much potassium in it. If anyone knows of one, let me know.

BUMP
  • miriamcpweg
    miriamcpweg Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had a similar question. The amount of potassium that i need is never reached.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    checkout this website:

nutritiondata.self.com

You can find just about any food (prepared in different ways) and get the potassium content for it. They have a complete nutritional breakdown and the bottom of each food page.

I've also heard that you don't get very high amounts in supplements. I have learned that there is potassium in almost all foods. I have some cans of Campbell's Healthy Request soups that have 1000mg of potassium per serving. (a can has 2000mg). that's not bad.

A lot of the foods in this database have no potassium content added because you don't find it on labels that much. I think since sodium is required then potassium should be too since there is a direct connection.
  • scarterrn
    scarterrn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would first go to food sources since it is a more natural way to get potassium. Avocado, bananas, cantaloupe, carrots, fish, mushrooms, oranges, potatoes, pork, beef, raisins, spinach, strawberries, and tomatoes are some common sources.
    But, if you choose to take an oral potassium supplement, don't on an empty stomach. It can make you nauseated.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I recently just started eating more banannas hoping to get rid of my calve cramps when running. Its so strange I was brainwashed into believing they were bad for me.. Carbs and high on the G. Index
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have medically low potassium from time to time and no matter how many potassium rich foods I eat, it does not correct this problem. I have also tried taking the supplements but in order to reach the strength of prescription level, you would have to take several a day which gets very expensive.

I know beans are a great source of potassium and I have actually found them to be much more helpful than bannanas (another good source for potassium). There are others as well which I cannot remember but I do recall beans being the highest of all.

Having truly low potassium is miserable. I have severe, charlie-horse type cramps all over my entire body. My fingers, toes, sides, stomach, neck -- you name it -- just will cramp up and it is excruciatingly painful.