Too much water???

Options
I live in TX and with almost 2 hours of exercise daily is it bad to drink more than the standard 64oz. of water? I'm sweating most of it out right? I'll drink about 84oz. in a day. How much is too much?

Replies

• Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I live in TX and with almost 2 hours of exercise daily is it bad to drink more than the standard 64oz. of water? I'm sweating most of it out right? I'll drink about 84oz. in a day. How much is too much?
  • liltwynkl1
    liltwynkl1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to take your weight and divide it by 2 and that's ATLEAST how many ounces you need daily
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    It takes A LOT of water drinking to end up with a problem. If you are concerned your electrolytes are off you can substittue with a sports drink or sports water (careful lots of sugars and sodium in those). Again, it does take a massive amount of water to get out of whack.

64oz is the minimum you are supposed to get a day to help with bodily functions.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that is what i heard also. I also read that you should drink enough water to make your urine clear.

I did that for the 1st time last week and it was 6 x 16 oz bottles of water.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I've always heard to take your weight and divide it by 2 and that's ATLEAST how many ounces you need daily
    I've been told the same thing! Seems to work for me. Doesn't seem like you are overdoing it. :flowerforyou:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yah...and I've heard that you're supposed to drink an extra 8 oz. for every 1/2 hour of exercise you have, so if you workout for 1 hour every day you should be drinking 80 oz. of water. Sounds like a lot but I drink at least that most days. So...I wouldn't worry about "over-drinking" especially if you are active AND with the heat, dehydrated. No worries!
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    It is really hard to drink to much water. Usually you will be fine unless you drink 1 or 2 gallons in 1 sitting.
    I usually end up drinking 120 - 140 oz of water in a day and I've never had a problem with it.
    But like Bunny said, if you are worried about it drink a sports drink to balance your electrolytes - and make sure if you don't get much sodium in your diet you find a drink that includes it.
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    I live in Texas as well and you can never drink enough here. I don't know what part you are in, but most of the state is pretty humid. As long as your urine stays clear, that's always a good sign you are hydrated!:laugh: