I am losing my hair:'(

Options
It is amazing how people around you do not get at all what this weight loss journey is about! why I bring my own food to family dinners,why I still want to lose another 11 pounds at least,why I must go to gym on days off and get on a bike when I get back from work,why I am not drinking right now...etc....only on here can I feel understood and uplifted!!! I just want to cry right now...I am obsessive about my hair.If I cut 1/2 an inch I want to cry.....and I don't cut more than twice a year. I went today and she confirmed what I thought. I am losing my hair. I had Diana Ross like hair until my first child. By the third I had lost most of the curl and thickness. Everywhere we go people comment on my hair (I have 2 red streaks within the dark black) or my kids (they are mixed) and their massive and well maintained fro's. and now my hair is going (I am sure my anemia doesn't help)...she says it will grow back but how long will that take?My hair is just at my waist and it feels short as it is! and then I think about my best friend that lost all her hair during cancer treatment and it is just growing back in now...I really need to shut up and get over it. It's just kinda hard you know? and I just need to be upset right now about it...I'm sure I will get over it....thanks for listening.

Replies

• janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Get a check-up to make sure there isn't anything really wrong and get the doctors advice ... maybe you need some vitamins. We all get overwhelmed sometimes ... glad you felt you could reach out to the MFP community. The support here is what gets me through the day.
  • cinabard
    Options
    Has your thyroid been checked? I had the same problem last year and starting to again, I as well have really long hair. It could be several different things, stress, throid or from the diet. I was advised to take omega fish oil vitamins to help, just because you diet doesn't mean you dont need more nutrients. Good luck and I hope it gets better.
  • katebcastro
    Options
    Yup, multivitamins might help..with Omega..
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    thank you :) I will try the vitamins and I am due for my physical in March.I will be sure to tell the Dr....thank you:)
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I lost hair by the handful after too extreme a diet for too long. It was horrible! Doctor recommended adding a biotin supplement and getting more healthy fats into my diet with raw salt-free nuts and avocados. It took months for it to get better but now, a couple of years later, my hair is beautiful and healthy again. Check your biotin and mono/poly unsaturated fat levels in case you're facing a similar situation.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    it could be stress, vitamin issue or even just age. I started losing my hair in my early 30's. I even had a hair stylist ask me if I had a thyroid problem (it's fine). It could be lack of protein. I have also heard about biotin. I'm eating so much healthier than I used to and I still lose hair. I was taking Fish Oil pills then slacked off. I need to get back into them because they do wonderful things to the skin too. I didn't know about the hair thing.
  • mimibasma
    mimibasma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a dietitian, so this is a common compliant I hear all the time;
    first thing to do is get a medical checkup;
    I have talked to several dermatologists about what to recommend if everything else is fine, so here goes:
    1. enough protein (and sources of iron & zinc)
    2. omega-3 esp from fatty fish and/or fish oil
    3. Biotin (they recommended as high as 5000mcg (or 5mg)
    4. Biosil (an oral supplement you can get from amazon in a liquid/drop form or capsule form; couldn't find it anywhere other than internet).

Having said all the above, they stressed that the above only works for thinning hair resulting from "vegetarian" diets, stress, childbirth, etc.., not from medical conditions.
    Good luck!
  • lots2live4
    lots2live4 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had a friend that totally cut protein out and within a few months she started losing her hair, so she started adding back in fish and chicken. Now her hair is back to normal.
  • rore1
    Options
    I am anemic because I don't like meat (since the age of 6) and don't replace it well enough. And yes this is the most stressful my life has ever been. I guess I have some research to do!!!thank you SO much for taking the time to reply!!!!!!
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I noticed I was losing hair a year or so ago, I have been on the weightloss journey for 2 years now (lost 80lbs) Unfortunately I am hit on many sides with this (stress, thryroid, and just from losing weight). And like others have said make sure you are getting enough protein and iron. I have been taking biotin and it is coming back (I have all these little short hairs to prove it lol). Hope it helps!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I feel for you! I had super thick hair, too thick really, until after my third child it started to thin. It is a good thickness now, but my mom has female-pattern-baldness that started to thin her hair in her thirties and by her sixtieth, had her very thin in front. I feel like I will be facing the same thing, so I understand your stress. I just hope my better diet and supplements keep me from her plight. It is normal for women to stress about their hair, so don't feel bad about it. Everyone has given good advice, so I won't add anything, just that I understand.
  • MissMessVaness
    MissMessVaness Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    don't feel bad... I'm having the same problem. I just thought it was my thyroid acting up lately but reading the others comments makes me think I too need some biotin and other vitamins? I do agree though with one of the past comments about thyroid problems. When I first found out I have hypothyroidism I knew something was wrong because I would pull out handfuls of hair while washing it in the shower. I was sooooo sad too All I did was ask the dr for a blood test and it was confirmed. The thyroid gland being off balance can mess with your hair... so do check it out if it continues? Good post... your question is gonna help me too. I'm sure once you figure out what your body is lacking your hair will be just as long and beautiful as ever! Have a good day.....
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Weightloss can cause our head to shed. There is a vitamin you can get thats for your hair, skin & nails. The active ingredient is biotin. If you are located in the states you can get it from GNC. Its called GNC 5000. Usually the organic type health food stores carry them also. As long as you aren't suffering from any form of alopecia your hair will grown back. I'm a licensed cosmetologist and when I was working as a hair stylist this is what I had my clients taking that were suffering from hair loss.
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi Rore1,

I am a licensed cosmetologist. Hair is like a plant you have to take care of it in order for it to grow. You will need to have youe ends cut every 6 to 8 weeks the longer you wait the more the dead hair strands travel up the hair. Also sometimes if your hair is too long and heavy it can cause thinning around the hairline and crown so you can start by cutting a couple of inches. You will also need to drink plenty of water and try vitamins as well. I am currently taking Centrum Ultra Women's it is a multivitamin that includes hair, skin, and nails. If you have any addition hair questions feel free to send me a message. It will get better your doing great :happy:
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Are you on an iron supplement? Iron deficiency is bad in many ways. Also, thyroid disease, hormone imbalances, nutrient deficiencies etc can cause that too. I hear ya, I am a big baby with my hair. I cut it once a year, maybe twice. You need to be getting checked out and on some kind of supplement if it's that bad. Force feeding meat isn't the answer. Spinach, and dark leafy green veggies are good for iron. Go online and look for iron rich foods. Do you have a cast iron skillet? The old ones our grandmother used to make things in? They are still available & you can make stuff in them & still get a minimal amount of iron added to your food because of it. :flowerforyou: Take care my friend!
  • autumn5gabby
    Options
    I went through the same thing . My hair was thinning from a skin condition. I thought I was going bald and was very stressed out! I figured the stress wasnt helping and that things could be much worse. I figured if I go bald I will buy a really nice scarf and then I will be thankful Im alive. Try not to worry and talk to your Dr. Good Luck!
  • rore1
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND!!! I am due for my physical next month and will have it all checked out and I def need to take supplements,will look into that this week. thank you!!!!!!!!!!!