Friend : good advice?

Options
Advice from my friend today : " Just eat half. Cut all of your portions in half"

She said that this was all she did when she started her weight loss programme and since November 2010 she has managed to drop 39lbs.

What do you guys think about it????

Replies

• sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i would personally find it difficult!

My boyfriends mum eats really small portions...its a bit like she has a child portion....but then she is really slim.....so i guess that works!
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    My aunt used to do that and she was always slim. I don't know if I could. I always make a point of leaving something on my plate, even if it's just a mouthful, but I don't know about half!
  • CobraBubbles
    Options
    This can work for some people but what is a 'portion'? An actual serving? Some people just consider a portion what they would typically eat which could be too little or too much for some when cut in half.
  • Leia81
    Leia81 Posts: 26
    Options
    Cutting calories definitely helps but it might be hard if you are eating a little to begin with.
  • tsherb
    Options
    To be honest I think my success so far can be accredited to not eating out and cooking fresh on a daily basis. What I did was go out and find a couple of good eating healthy/ low calorie cookbooks as well as look online to find recipes for dinners under 350 calories. I then usually had the leftover for lunch the next day. I supplemented my day with small low calorie snacks (usually veggies or a bowl of cereal). You'd be surprised how much you can eat in a day when you cook to keep calories down. :) Good Luck
  • CarolynGSilva
    CarolynGSilva Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It works for restaurants, too. If you have someone to split entrees with, it's great. Otherwise, get a take-home container and put half of everything on the plate in the container to take home. Then enjoy what's left on the plate. "Free" lunch next day.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    If you just so happen to be eating exactly twice as much of everything that you should be, then this is excellent advice. However, I doubt that's the case for many, so it's not so great.
  • newmommy2cash
    Options
    I honestly would rather not tease myself. I have to have to get stronger at resisting temptation and over eating before I can start cutting my potions in half....
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    If you just so happen to be eating exactly twice as much of everything that you should be, then this is excellent advice. However, I doubt that's the case for many, so it's not so great.

Agree. I think if you try to stick to recommended portion sizes of food that is HEALTHY, and pay attention to macro ratios (protein/fat/carbs), it's not too difficult to meet cal goals AND stay satisfied. It can take a little bit of time for your stomach and brain to adjust to a decrease or increase in cals, but after that it becomes habit - and that's the most effective way of losing weight. :)