Driving... How Many Calories?

Options
Has anyone else measured the calories burned whilst driving? When Ez and I were going up to Da Yew Pee (the Upper Peninsula for you non-Midwesterners) I clocked in 1430 cal for 3 hours of driving, according to my HRM. That means that for our 9 hour trip (straight drive time, not including gas, food, or stretch our legs breaks) I would have burned 4290 calories?! Is that even possible? Does anyone else have any experience with trying to determine how many calories are burned when on the road?

o_mXgKCUfpz92Cp6O.jpg

Replies

• jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else measured the calories burned whilst driving? When Ez and I were going up to Da Yew Pee (the Upper Peninsula for you non-Midwesterners) I clocked in 1430 cal for 3 hours of driving, according to my HRM. That means that for our 9 hour trip (straight drive time, not including gas, food, or stretch our legs breaks) I would have burned 4290 calories?! Is that even possible? Does anyone else have any experience with trying to determine how many calories are burned when on the road?

o_mXgKCUfpz92Cp6O.jpg
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are doing while driving. :devil:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine it would burn that many, and even if it did, it must be about the same as just sitting around or being at your desk at work.....driving on the freeway with or without cruise control is basically just sitting there, it's not like your actively turning the wheel a lot. I personally wouldn't count it for anything.
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Wow then when I drove 24 hours to Da UP I must have burned a huge bunch of calories. Love the UP. Did you stop at the Yoopers Tourist Trap?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LUCY AND RICKY!!!!

I guess how many calories burned would depend on your driving style.
    Curvy backroads would burn more calories than highways, logically. More arm work turning the wheels, more keeping your legs and feet engaged with the gas/brakes.
    Also dependent on your driving style would be the number of calories Ezzie burned, especially if you had her scared of your fast lane changes, racing other drivers, and general rabble-rousing on the highways!!:laugh:

(I think your calorie count sounds really high myself, but I have no idea what I'm talking about! :tongue: )
  • jamerz3294
    Options
    Wow then when I drove 24 hours to Da UP I must have burned a huge bunch of calories. Love the UP. Did you stop at the Yoopers Tourist Trap?

:laugh: :bigsmile: :tongue: We abso luv'd the Yoopers Tourist Trap! With all the technologial marvels of Da Yew Pee on display, it's hard to understand why they haven't taken over the world.... oh, that's right, 'cause they don't wanna! :laugh: :wink: Ezzie took a a pic of me with my head coming up thru the seat of the outhouse, and I snapped one of her in front of the Deer Camp building, hehehe...

But yeah, it seems like a really high calorie count to me too?
  • curlhair
    Options
    MFP already takes into acccount the calories you use up just to exist (Go to tools, BMR - that's how much you burn just by living, breathing, and sitting around)- sitting and driving doesn't really require much of you. Did you add it to your Exercise log as exercise? That's not right. It sounds to me like normal day to day stuff, so I wouldn't count it for anything.

:smile: Hope this helps!
  • Kitn76
    Options
    Be careful with the amount of time driving straight through. Anything over 8 hours without a leg stretch is a possible cause forr a DVT and those are NOT fun.
  • jamerz3294
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't add it to my Exercise log, as it just didn't seem to make sense? :huh: And yeah, we took plenty of gas, food, walk the dog, and stretch our legs breaks as well. Plus we switched offf drivers periodically as well. :wink:
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options

:laugh: :bigsmile: :tongue: We abso luv'd the Yoopers Tourist Trap! With all the technologial marvels of Da Yew Pee on display, it's hard to understand why they haven't taken over the world.... oh, that's right, 'cause they don't wanna! :laugh: :wink: Ezzie took a a pic of me with my head coming up thru the seat of the outhouse, and I snapped one of her in front of the Deer Camp building, hehehe...

But yeah, it seems like a really high calorie count to me too?
    It was hilarious. We took my little 1 1/2 year to the UP this summer for the first time and we stopped there. There is the little cigar smoking guy sitting in a chair (fake of course) and my daughter waves to him and says HI! I about died laughing. I got a lot of great retirement gifts for my stepfather there. We always come home with soemthing. Oh but if you go to the UP, you Have to have a PASTY. Particularly Lawry's Pastys. OMG we brought home 18 frozen ones for the freezer. I make them occasionally too.
  • curlhair
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't add it to my Exercise log, as it just didn't seem to make sense? :huh: And yeah, we took plenty of gas, food, walk the dog, and stretch our legs breaks as well. Plus we switched offf drivers periodically as well. :wink:

hahah, sorry, i didn't understand your question! :bigsmile: