Gettin up at 2am to STUFF my face..

Options
I need some DEFINATE HARD CORE advice and words of wisdom...

EVERY NIGHT I wake up between 2-4am and eat....not healthy either..mostly breads, cereals, nuts, etc. Ill TRY and eat veggies but my body craaveeees bready things. Like I look at the veggies and they do not even look appitizing...

My question is how do i control these late night carb binges>?!?!? :( it is making me gain weight and I hate it. :noway:

My body almost seems to just WAKE up on its own and tell me im hungry......grrrrrr :grumble:

I try and eat before bed to stop this but it doesnt seem to help any...AND I keep water by my bed....I can drink the water but still have this craving and urge to go and eat.......ahhhh!!!!:explode:

Replies

• chuckanderson
    Options
    What are you eating before bed? Lemme see your diary.

Edit: I'm an idiot I can already see it. Eat more protein girl! First off you need to to keep that muscle! Second it will keep you full longer.... to be honest I'm not even hungry till lunch the next day because I eat a chicken breast or so at about 8pm....... and it's only 220 calories. Check mine out if you want!

Also.... you're not eating much at night :( and what you do eat is all carbs! You're probably having an insulin spike and then a crash which is leaving you starving 5-8 hours after you eat (depending on the matrix).
  • shanamalena
    Options
    lol I would so easily do this too!!! I wake up to go to the bathroom, because of drinking so much water. Then I have to take the dogs outside to pee. So Im walking close to the kitchen!! And my head is not thinking straight and I want to eat!! Dang dogs!! I was bad about eating the blueberry muffin pop tarts!! yummy....But I no longer buy them. Then my granola bars and such are the victims now at night. lol

It seems as if I wake up every morning around 230-400. So I have been trying to tell myself when I do get up is Not to eat!! Since I know it is a bad habit now. lol
  • Malinsfeet
    Malinsfeet Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For the past few days it looks like you havent been eating enough protein (which keeps you full longer) and have been way over on your sugar (which makes me crave more sugar likes breads etc). Id would try eating more protein for dinner and slowing down on the sugar throughout the day. Good luck!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Hello to a fellow Greek!

I see you're APhi... I'm AOII (alumnae) from EWU.

Alphalove always!
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Not to be left out I'm a Sigep from Missouri :p
  • antipholous
    Options
    Overall you're wasting a lot of calories on food stuffs that won't keep you full. Try to eliminate empty calories (or eat them as a treat occasionally outside your food allowance, by occasionally I really mean that) so that you can use your calories for food that will keep your belly full.

If your calorie limit is set correctly and you're hungry you're either...
    a) not drinking enough water
    b) not eating enough protein
    c) not eating enough fiber
    d) any or all of the above

Stay away from chips, crackers, popcorn, sweets, liquid calories (unless dense like milk or smoothies), donuts, rice cakes, etc. Their only purpose is to help you with your snack cravings, which is an instinct you've learned over time. It's forgotten in 30 days or so...so just hold out until then with the good stuff.

You're eating some really great things, just not in big enough portions to get the effect. Foods like Kashi Go Lean Crunch, Oatmeal, Yogurt, Whole Grains, Eggs, Milk, etc. will help you keep your hunger under control. At first you'll just have a dull hunger that can typically be curbed with water, and eventually your stomach will shrink a little and start to feel full faster and easier. Most American stomachs are stretched to intake more food than they actually need ^_^

Hope that helps. In the end, though, you're just gonna have to show that craving that you're stronger than it. Good luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your cortisol levels are out of balance. I'd try getting a supplement for your adrenals. There is a great book on Adrenal Fatigue by Wilson. Also, try taking magnesium at bed time - up to 1200mg per day as your body can tolerate it, too much will make you run to the bathroom. This will help your sleep cycles, a time released melatonin may be a good idea to try too.
  • Skinny100
    Options
    I had the same problem. I got "Extra dessert gum" in different flavors and chew that and the craving usually passes.
    I think if you got your body used to eating at a certain time, it will crave food at that time. Try your best to retrain yourself.
    Try an herbal tea - maybe that will help.
    Good luck!!
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    PB on one piece of whole wheat bread usually does the trick for me then I'm back to bed...also eating meals more toward 7pm helps too so it's not a million hours before bedtime. GL!
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    ocds : No Way!!! :) Glad you commented!

ChuckAnderson: Love Sig Eps! and thank you for the advice. MORE protien here I come!!
  • karissastephens
    Options
    Overall you're wasting a lot of calories on food stuffs that won't keep you full. Try to eliminate empty calories (or eat them as a treat occasionally outside your food allowance, by occasionally I really mean that) so that you can use your calories for food that will keep your belly full.

If your calorie limit is set correctly and you're hungry you're either...
    a) not drinking enough water
    b) not eating enough protein
    c) not eating enough fiber
    d) any or all of the above

Stay away from chips, crackers, popcorn, sweets, liquid calories (unless dense like milk or smoothies), donuts, rice cakes, etc. Their only purpose is to help you with your snack cravings, which is an instinct you've learned over time. It's forgotten in 30 days or so...so just hold out until then with the good stuff.

You're eating some really great things, just not in big enough portions to get the effect. Foods like Kashi Go Lean Crunch, Oatmeal, Yogurt, Whole Grains, Eggs, Milk, etc. will help you keep your hunger under control. At first you'll just have a dull hunger that can typically be curbed with water, and eventually your stomach will shrink a little and start to feel full faster and easier. Most American stomachs are stretched to intake more food than they actually need ^_^

Hope that helps. In the end, though, you're just gonna have to show that craving that you're stronger than it. Good luck!

Ahhh so true. I know...cravings suck.....grrr.
  • karissastephens
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do know I need more protein and less sugar. just LOVE sugary / carby foods and hate it ha
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i would try and train yourself out of it. I used to get hungry in the middle of the night too and its a vicious circle, because if youre hungry you cant get back to sleep. Avoid the kitchen and maybe keep a glass of milk and a banana next to your bed so you can eat when you wake, and then after a few days, only eat half of the banana, and then eventually try and only have the milk, and then cut that down, the same way youd try and train a baby to sleep through the night. Eventually you should start not waking up for it
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say more protein during the day, and some protein intake later in the evening. That will slow down the hunger pangs.

The thing about carbs is that the more you eat them, the more you want them. So, to combat this, I'd say make sure you're getting in enough protein AND carbs during the day, and set a limit on the carbs. A few nights of munching on veggies and I'm sure the cravings will go away on their own. :happy:

Hang in there!
  • karissastephens
    Options
    i would try and train yourself out of it. I used to get hungry in the middle of the night too and its a vicious circle, because if youre hungry you cant get back to sleep. Avoid the kitchen and maybe keep a glass of milk and a banana next to your bed so you can eat when you wake, and then after a few days, only eat half of the banana, and then eventually try and only have the milk, and then cut that down, the same way youd try and train a baby to sleep through the night. Eventually you should start not waking up for it

I love this idea!