Saving calories for later?

Options
I have been using MFP for only about a week and a half, but I keep coming across the same problem. I save my calories for later in the day because I have no clue what dinner will bring. Then I don't even eat the whole 1200 calories. I don't cook, my husband does and he's been cooking really healthy for me, but maybe I'll want something after dinner and I'm paranoid I'll go over. Has anyone else had this problem?

Replies

• kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i have it all of the time....i will eat a 170(ish)calorie breakfast and then worry all day about not having enough calories for dinner in the evening, so i refuse to eat for the rest of the day and end up having to either eat loads in the evening or go under calories

yet i do the same the next day, and the next....yet when i get some exercise in i'm really slack with calories as i'm certain i'll have enough, so the answer really is....

exercise so you KNOW you'll have plenty and not feel like you have to hoard them!
  • iluvmine
    iluvmine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I hate going over, but sometimes there is nothing you can do about. Eat a light snack or something low calorie, so you wont go over by alot. I have went over a couple of times and have still lost weight, due to all the good days I stayed under. You will be ok,when you do go over, just think tomorrows a new day, and just get back on track. Good luck with your weight loss journey..
  • newnicole
    Options
    how are you not hungry?
    you cant live just fearing whats for dinner
    you need to be eating at least five times a day so that your metabolism isn't slowing down.
    get some snacks flowing... i know that after just doing my daily tasks i'll want something to snack on to help me have energy through the day
  • barbsus1991
    barbsus1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    you should set you're calories out for the day...

breakfast:300
    lunch:300
    dinner:400
    snacks: 200

if he makes something you think has more calories than that then just don't eat the whole plate! i usually save my 200 snack calories for after dinner so i've got some left if i get the nibbles! nothing good will come of starving yourself all day =]
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    no, i'm the opposite, i usually only have a couple of hundred calories left by dinner :-/

i like to graze when i am working, and the calories are soon gone!

why don't you do a meal plan together, for the week, then you know what's coming.
  • denacutrone
    Options
    i have had a bit of sucess with trying to plan our dinner menu a week at a time that way i can plan accordingly if its something heavier in calories.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    How about changing when your day begins and ends in terms of logging Start your daily calorie allowance in the evening when you have your dinner. E.g make your dinner your first meal so to speak so that you can log it and then know how many calories you'll have left for your breakfast and lunch to following day. It's really easy to change the meal names on here :laugh:
  • Behavioral
    Options
    A couple of things:
    1. I agree about the exercise. It really makes a huge difference in what I can eat and how satisfied I feel.
    2. I try to eat about 250-300 calories per meal until I get my exercise for the day, so I know I have enough for dinner.
    3. I choose items or recipes, then I try to find lower calorie versions on the web or www.allrecipes.com. I enter the recipes into MFP so that I have the counts there to use.
    4. I use my husband's i-phone or keep my computer open to MFP so I log right away and make sure I've got some calories for late night snacking
    5. Two words...Skinny Cow!!!!! i know how many calories I need after supper so I can have these delectable desserts.

My huge killer for calories is beer and wine...If I did better with those calories, I would do better all around

Just some random thoughts. I hope it helps.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    hopefully this will put your mind at ease.

even if you go over your calories by 100 or 200, heck maybe even 300. If you eating healthy calories you're still going to lose weight because even if your aiming for 1200 and end up having 1500 you're still eating on a deficit that doesnt even include your exercise calories. try not to sweat it. being mindful is great and being aware of what you are putting into your body is the name of the game.

so just keep doing what your doing minus the worrying. and if you do feel guilty about going over your calories after dinner. just do 30-60 minutes of yoga or pilates.

just remember. EAT EAT EAT!!
    :?p
  • babyfatbegone
    babyfatbegone Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I don't know how I'm not hungry all the time. I bought a food scale and I put in EVERYTHING I eat. I think I'll go get some baby carrots just to have on the counter. Pre-weighed of course. :happy:
  • AzraBeg
    Options
    I tend to eat relatively light all day then gorge myself during dinner. This pattern is simply illogical when you think about it. You need to consume more calories throughout the day to have enough energy. You don't need many calories at night because generally you're less active. Why eat a bigger dinner when you'll just be sitting around and then going to bed? Ideally, we should eat like kings/queens at breakfast, princesses/princes at lunch, and like paupers at dinner. (With a few snacks inbetween). Unfortunately for me and many others like me the habit of eating calorie laden dinners is difficult to break.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes, but it is easier for me to plan since I am the one who cooks.

What really helps me is having a menu plan for the week. I wonder if you and your husband could work up a menu plan (with recipes or at least a general idea of ingredients/amounts) and then even if he cooks you will have more of an idea of how to plan for dinner time.