Marathon Training for a NON-RUNNER!

Options
Hey everyone. I have always wanted to run a marathon so I can accomplish something so amazing but never really ever thought I would ever sign up to do one or anything like that. Well, that all changed last Saturday when my husband and I both signed up to do a marathon with Team In Training to help raise funds for Leukemia & Lymphoma (Blood Cancers) I am not a runner AT ALL and the few times in my life that I tried running, I sucked so bad I never continued. I figured joining TNT, I can get into better shape while supporting such a good cause AND make me commit to becoming the runner I've always wanted to be. (I always would get jealous seeing people run at the gym and not get tired after 30 seconds)

This week is my first week in training (next week officially with TNT- Kick off is this Sat) I ran (plus 1 min walks every few mins) 3 miles on Monday and 3 miles yesterday (slowed my pace & was able to keep a study run for up to 12 min before taking a min break)

Just wanted to reach out to all the other marathoners out there & wanted to know if you think 17 weeks to run a full marathon is too ambitious for a non-runner as myself? I really want to give it all I got and am taking training seriously. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much :)

Replies

• mwkinney
    mwkinney Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hate to be a buzzkill, but why not start with something more manageable such as a 5k to start and work up your endurance!
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am also running the San Diego with TNT. See you there! I am Inland Empire team...you?
    P.S. You can totally do it. I know you can, and TNT will give you all the support you need to do it!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    17 weeks is a bit ambitious as a non runner but you can definitely finish...you just may have to do a run/walk type of plan. First of all, make sure you get fitted for running shoes. Next, I suggest going to runnersworld.com and getting a "smart coach" training plan and sticking to that as much as possible. Coming from not running at all to running 20+ miles a week is going to be taxing on your body...just make sure you don't push too hard because injury will be the first thing to sideline you for race day. I was not a runner when i signed up for my first marathon but i had a YEAR to train and still could not run the whole thing (granted i was near 200 lbs). Now, I'm much faster but it has taken several years of running to get me to the level I'm at. It takes time to get your body into marathon ready mode but you can definitely do a run-walk program and be fine. TNT is such a great cause and the support system there will help you through the tough time of training. Best of luck and feel free to message me if you have questions...I'd love to hear your progress!
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ah ha! You're not in CA! I am Inland Empire, CA...already in the right state. See you there, regardless!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Sure it's ambitious, but you don't discount yourself. If you want to do it, then do it.
  • dnostergard
    Options
    You can do anything if you put your mind to it. Don't focus on your mile times, just work towards increasing your mileage. Be sure to pay close attention to aches and pains, as your body will be getting quite punished over the coming weeks. I recommend the Encyclopedia of Running, from Runner's World. There are some great marathon training guides and tips aimed specifically at beginners. There is also great information on what injuries you can train through, and what you need to stop training for. This is one of the most important things you can learn as a runner.

Also, as you are training, don't forget to incorporate light strength training. Running is a great workout, but it really doesn't do much for your upper body. Having one day a week devoted to cross training, like biking or the elliptical, is a great way to ensure proper muscle balance.
  • Yodean
    Yodean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love that you have set a goal. Enjoy the journey but since you are new to running register for the walk/ run because it gives you more time to condition your body for the long haul.

Yolanda D.
    New to Myfitnesspal
    California
  • flipnsexy
    Options
    Thank You everyone so much for the responses. I've gone to runnersworld.com and will check it all out. Like it so far :)