emotional eating

Options
I have had a horrendous emotional week. My Mom is elderly its a long story. I have a huge headache and I have been eating too big of portions. I ate a bunch of wheat thins last night I felt so empty. I haven't been able to sleep. I did not eat the bag of hershey kisses I did forego the icecream I did not eat a sleeve of cookies.

I exercise plenty.
I think I gained a pound the only one I lost. I need to lose 20. My chlolesterol is high. It seems like I just can't deal with problems and stay focused on making good choices

Replies

• Grammy54
    Grammy54 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You did good not eating the candy and ice cream if they were in my house I would of eaten it all. I could not sleep last night either. Finally at 5 am I fell asleep until nine. Don't worry about the weight it is most likely water weight, Just cut back on the salt and iot should go away.

If you have any friends close bye to talk to it might help.
  • lenaxox
    Options
    get through today girl, tomorrow is a new day. you have a great support group here on mfp! im an emotional eater as well, its an addiction we will fight everyday. know you are not alone!!
  • healthy1215
    Options
    It is terrible when stress drives you over the edge and it is the root of most overeating. I have read all kinds of articles about other things to do instead, some make sense and others are just not realistic. Many times it will advise to exercise and yes, that would be ideal, but if you can't wrap your head around that, do something else for yourself - a hot bubble bath or shower, write a letter to a friend (even if you never mail it), give your self a facial, put on teeth whitening strips, call a friend and vent. You do have to get control, you can't beat yourself up. Wipe the board clean, start fresh and move forward. To climb every tall mountain, you have put one foot out front and start with the first step, you can do this!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I am the Queen of Emotional Eating, and I am here for you. I read your post and it broke my heart. I took care of my father in law for the last 2 years of his life. So I can understand a little about your situation. My advice to you is to be nice to you. There is a book called You Can Heal Your Life and in it the auther says to treat yourself the way you would treat your own child. I fall all the time and what makes it worse is when I get angry at myself. So try to remember to be good to you. You DESERVE the best life for you.
  • fdonhauser
    Options
    Give yourself a mini goal. Don't think about having to lose 20 pounds, just think about the first 5, it'll take some of the pressure off. I'm an emotional eater too, I eat for EVERY emotion. I'm also a nurse and see what people go through with their elderly parents, its difficult. I know it makes you want to eat. Try talking to someone about whats going on, or write in a journal. Don't swallow your emotions...it'll just make you feel worse! Go for healthy protein, not salty carbs.
    Just take it day by day...if you had a good eating/exercise day then you should feel better when you get into bed at night. Day 1 successful, follow the next day the same way and make that successful. Bottom line, you need to find somewhere else to put your emotions than your mouth.
  • rosita76
    Options
    Journal before you eat....That might help...Take care and good luck
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It is terrible when stress drives you over the edge and it is the root of most overeating. I have read all kinds of articles about other things to do instead, some make sense and others are just not realistic. Many times it will advise to exercise and yes, that would be ideal, but if you can't wrap your head around that, do something else for yourself - a hot bubble bath or shower, write a letter to a friend (even if you never mail it), give your self a facial, put on teeth whitening strips, call a friend and vent. You do have to get control, you can't beat yourself up. Wipe the board clean, start fresh and move forward. To climb every tall mountain, you have put one foot out front and start with the first step, you can do this!

She's right! Even if it's 2 steps forward and one back, it's still forward! We are all trying and making small successes. Focus on the successes!
  • gemini53
    gemini53 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody I really apreciate your support!