YOU WANT ME TO PUT THAT WHERE??

Options
Ok so, I bought a tape measurer, you know..the kind that the tailor would use to measure your inseam or something...and I need to know..WHAT DO I MEASURE?!?! and WHERE? I'm new to this..so please forgive my ignorance!

:blushing:

Replies

• JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    You really could measure wherever you want..... my trainer does my bust (at the biggest point), my right upper arm, my right upper thigh, my waist (at belly button) and my butt/hips (again, at biggest point). the most important thing is to do it in the same spot in each area every time so your loss is accurate. Hope that helps!
  • DoneWithTheFatGirl
    Options
    Measure whatever areas are most important to you and then anything else that matters :) I measure everywhere. Just make sure that whether it be you chest hips or waist, that you always measure at the biggest point and make sure the tape is straight and even all the way around. Good luck!
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    any bits you want to keep track of as they shrink!
    waist, chest and thighs are usual ones. Make sure you measure the same bits each week.
    Waist measure the smallest bit - usually just about your belly button.
    Chest - measure either under your boobs, or else over your boobs at the widest point (if that makes sense) or both
    Thigh - measure the largest/widest bit, so usually 2-3 inches below your groin

then re-measure each week or so as the weight comes off and see how many inches you lose!
    good luck
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Around your mid bust.
    Around your waist, which is right above where your belly button is.
    Hips
    Thighs
    Calves
    Neck.

Thats where I measure myself. It depends what you would like to monitor your inches lost! :o)
  • LoneStarFan79
    Options
    Here are the measurements I take. I take them all once a month except for sleep. Hope this helps.

Neck For me around the adams apple
    Chest Right over the nipples
    Waist Over the belly button
    Hips Over the widest part
    Upper Arm Over the widest part
    Forearm Over the widest part
    Thighs Over the widest part
    Calves Over the widest part
    Body Fat % I use this site http://www.livestrong.com/tools/body-fat-calculator/
    Sleep It's good to know
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    LOL :) Thanks for the little giggle this morning!
    Anyways, here's what I measure;

Chest - directly around the largest part of your ta ta's - remember don't squeeze too hard, just stand naturally, we want this to be accurate

Ribs - place tape directly under your chest, measure all the way around - this is a good way to measure that back fat stuff that sags over the bra... yuck!

Waist - The smallest area of your waist

Belly - I also like to measure right around my belly button, where for me, this is much larger than my actual waist (apple shape)

Hips - standing completely relaxed, measure around the widest part of your bootie

Abductors - Standing with feet TOGETHER, measure around your both of your thighs together, with the tape snug up under your behind.

Thighs - Stand with feet apart, equal weight on both legs and measure around the widest area of your right and left thighs

Calves - measure the widest part

Biceps - measure the widest part of your bicep - unflexed, right and left.

Hope this helps! :)
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is the article that I use from iVillage!

Taking your measurements is an excellent way to keep track of your changing shape as you get fit. When you burn fat and increase your muscle mass, you may weigh a bit more even though your body is getting tighter and smaller. Here is how you take 10 different body measurements. Remember to keep your muscles relaxed while you're measuring.

Bust: Don't squish yourself -- measure all the way around your bust and back right at your nipple line, and make sure the tape measure is not lower.

Chest: Measure under your breasts but as high up as you can go, keeping the tape measure parallel to this line when you reach it around your back.

Waist: Measure wherever it is the smallest (if you have "no waist" go around yourself right at the navel line).

Hips: Measure at the very biggest part -- even if that is so low that you are almost on the top of your thighs.

Midway: Measure midway between the very biggest part of your hips and your waist.

Thighs: Measure wherever they are the biggest.

Knees: Measure right above the knee.

Calves: Measure wherever they are the biggest.

Upper arm: Measure wherever they are biggest above your elbows.

Forearms: Measure wherever they are biggest below your elbows.

Read More http://www.ivillage.com/how-do-i-take-my-measurements/4-n-142316#ixzz1DZBiuxw8
  • asmile
    asmile Posts: 14
    Options
    You are totally find - Most people don't' know how how to use a measuring tape unless they had to measure themselves for clothes for something and most of us don't' measure ourselves for clothes.

Ok... too the nitty gritty.

Hips - align the measuring take in the middle of your behind and all the way around - I would like to think of it as putting it around my most plumped area.

waist - measuring tape should be aligned with the belly button all the way around

Chest - is a little different because all women have different sizes but for me I align my with my sorry --> but nipples and go all the way around.

inseam would be from the top of your inner thigh all the way down to you ankle

Not sure if you want the measurement of your Torso- but just in case you did you would swing the measuring tape between you legs bring one half up towards your shoulder in the front and the other half up in the back towards that some shoulder.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I found this site, and found it to be very helpful . http://www.weight-loss-program.com/art13-taking-measurements.html
  • Superradrudeboy
    Superradrudeboy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out this website for a more accurate BMI . It will tell you where to measure http://howfatru.com/