tracking more than calories?

Options
I am new to myfitnesspal and I noticed that yesterday I was over carbs and today I was over proteins, but way under calories. I'm wondering what kind of effect this will have on my weight loss goals and how to strike a better balance. Any insights?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The protein is set kind of low, so it's ok to go over on that. And strictly speaking, those numbers won't affect your weight loss too much -- the calories are what's important. BUT, you do need to try to get them balanced out so that you're feeding your body what it needs to stay healthy while you lose weight. It helps me to plan my meals and snacks ahead of time so I can see what the numbers will look like and do any necessary tweaking right away. If I wait and log after I eat, the numbers can get all wackadoo because I can't do math in my head. :laugh:
  • HeartsTurtle
    Options
    I'm not sure about anything scientifically, but I know that for myself I like to try and stay under my carbs. My family has a history of diabetes (some very severe cases) and I know being consistent with carbs and staying under is important for that. I also generally try and stay under for sugar and fats.

I'm not sure if this will affect your weight loss, but I think generally it's best to try and stay within range of those other things!
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I tend to eat way under my calorie goal (only 1200-1400 out of 2110) but I always notice that I'm very close to my sodium goal for the day and it usually bothers me because I feel like that's how much sodium I should be eating only if I'm eating the full 2110 calories that I'm given. I really hate the red negative numbers, so I try my best to keep a lot of it under. I don't think it'll have TOO much of an impact on your weight loss itself, but it's always good to stay under on things like fat and sodium because fat is...well...fat and too much sodium can trap water weight on your body, which is something that will make you seem heavier than you really are.
  • stebabe15
    Options
    When I first started tracking last year (on a different site), I tried to keep everything in line. I got overwhelmed by all the ups and downs and all the work it took. This year I've started off with just tracking calories only. It's been working for me, WAY better than last time. However, I do hope to start keeping a better eye on my proteins, carbs, fats, etc.

The biggest thing that keeps me going is the concept of the "twinkie diet". I know it's silly. But if a man can eat only twinkies but maintain his calorie goal and still LOSE weight, I'm thinking going over on carbs, sugars or whatever isn't going to kill me right away.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    All of the numbers across the board, calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, sodium, etc. all increase when you input cardiovascular activities. As logic dictates, if you put them to use, the more of them your body will need to do so. So, going over on carbs/protein/fiber is fine as long as you're exercising. Even if you happen to eat carbohydrate/protein-dense foods. The exercise might even trigger your body to want more intake, and therefore you'll be meeting your calorie goals as well. Or at least as close to them as you can. I don't always hit my daily intake either. It's not that detrimental to weight loss if you don't.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It isn't only what you DON'T want, it's what you DO want: nutrients, water, which is like oil for your body, phytochemicals, antioxidants -- this means a LOT of fruits & veggies. Jonny Bowden says if it can be picked, plucked or caught, you can eat it. I'm trying to eat veggies every single time I eat; it's not always easy to do, but you can count things like salsa and spaghetti sauce (as long as it's high quality). Feed your body with good things, and it will respond well. Don't forget fruits, too, nature's "candy." Good luck!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    All of the numbers across the board, calories, carbs, fat, protein, fiber, sodium, etc. all increase when you input cardiovascular activities.

Sodium does not increase. It's set at a fixed 2500 max, unless you manually change it. Same with the other macronutrients like potassium, calcium, and iron. You're right on the cals, carbs, fat, and protein though. I think the fiber increases as well, but I'm not sure because I don't track it.
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. way helpful, and yep, I noticed that my protein number came out of the red when I put in my workout.
    Good advice on the planning ahead - I find that key too. If I don't then I think I'm "eating healthy" only to find that I've gone over before I even get to dinner.