Is it bad to workout hard when you are very overweight?

Options
As I said in another post, I have been doing Turbo Jam dvds, and surprisingly for my weight (245) I can hang with them pretty well! I just wonder, as long as my joints are ok and I don't pass out (he he) is there any reason NOT to work out this hard when you weight so much? My goal is 165, so I am 80lbs overweight. Will I spoil my future workouts once I start to lose weight, or will my workouts get better?

Replies

• Nicolekp
    Nicolekp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Iwork with a health coach and she along with my doctor said that as long as I wasn't hurting myself I could do anything I wanted. So as long as you don't have any specific health problems that hinder you. I would think that it's ok. If you are really concerned I would suggest checking in with your doctor just to make sure.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I started out at 245, too. I don't see anything wrong with it. It's actually healthier for you to work out. Just make sure that you pay attention to your body and don't over-do it. As with any size, if you start out and aren't in good shape, you will only get better. As you lose, you will have to put more into it to get a higher calorie burn and heart rate, but becoming better is good for your body.

As long as you feel like you can do it, then go for it!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    um...no i think its probably really good. I was doing pretty hard cardio when i was obese and it was ok.

i think you know your own body thoguh, if you feel light headed or faint or in pain then take a break....
  • chrysnel
    Options
    My thought is, if they can do it on Biggest Loser - heck yeah - go for it! I started pretty heavy too (260 lbs) and am down to about 215 right now and the workouts are definitely getting easier and better, I hurt less after, and I feel more motivated to work harder - it's an awesome feeling! Good luck! :wink:
  • sparklesammy
    Options
    My thought is, if they can do it on Biggest Loser - heck yeah - go for it! I started pretty heavy too (260 lbs) and am down to about 215 right now and the workouts are definitely getting easier and better, I hurt less after, and I feel more motivated to work harder - it's an awesome feeling! Good luck! :wink:

totally, and they work hours for like 6 hours a day or something!
  • sparklesammy
    Options

totally, and they work hours for like 6 hours a day or something!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    I'm 400+ and have done kick boxing and zumba. I love working out hard and pushing my body...it feels good after. so as long as you feel good and not in crippling pain and all that I'd say you are fine.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    As I said in another post, I have been doing Turbo Jam dvds, and surprisingly for my weight (245) I can hang with them pretty well! I just wonder, as long as my joints are ok and I don't pass out (he he) is there any reason NOT to work out this hard when you weight so much? My goal is 165, so I am 80lbs overweight. Will I spoil my future workouts once I start to lose weight, or will my workouts get better?

NO. You're taller than me, I'm 5'7. I started P90X at about 245 pounds and now I'm down to 212 or so. So, keep at it in order to reach your goals.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys - you all are awesome! I must be burning a heck of a lot of cals - I think I may get a HRM and check. I'd love to know! I do feel sad to think that I'll have to work harder once the weight comes off to burn the same cals. Maybe I'll just buy a weighted vest and keep working out with this 80 lbs strapped to myself. ;)
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    Just make sure you check your HR every once in awhile and as everyone else said if you feel light headed or not right then slow it down!
  • borys12
    Options
    I couldn't loose more weight, so added stairmill to my workout. That was a hit! HRM shows 600 cal, heart rate about 160, and i'm ok. I eat almost all workout calories and loosing again. Still got two stones to go. I just needed more exercise and more fuel.
    As long you are ok, workout as hard as you can.