Are fancy scales worth it?

Options
Is it worth getting fancy scales that do body fat, etc, or should I be looking at something simpler?

Replies

• chuckanderson
    Options
    Get the $4 accumeasure calipers and call it good. More accurate anyways.

Edit: just don't use the 3 point it comes with.... a 5 or a 7 is much better
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i went to kohls and got a biggest loser scale(i had a 30% off coupon, haha) and it was 25 dollars. if you get on too hard or not hard enough, it will still display the right weight. like i jumped on too hard and it went to 163 on the scale, but my real weight was 159 and it went to that. its awesome. esp since its digital. dont have to guess what it is
  • JasMcK
    JasMcK Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially whole-tone, diminished, and harmonic minor. :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My husband has a very very expensive body composition scale, he uses it for assessments of high school wrestlers. And I'd say no - I can manipulate the scale with hydration, changing the setting from normal to athletic etc. I'm not impressed with the thing at all. I agree the calipers are the way to go, I feel like it's a much more accurate picture of where I really am.
  • kilojoule
    Options
    me and the wife use a Withings scale on a tip from a buddy (who just signed up for mfp today!)

pretty awesome check it out it uploads your stats online so you can see progress, stats, tips, bmi ect.

http://www.withings.com/en/index?taranim=0
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The withings one looks great,, but it's even more expensive here in the UK :(

Anyone have any opinions on Tamiya and Omron? Most scales seem to get terrible reviews!