EA Sports Active 2 & HRM results compared

Options
Hi! I just compared the results for the same activity - the "Core & Crunch "workout as clocked by Sports Active vs. my brand new Polar Heart Monitor FT7 and the results are quite surprising!

POLAR results:
Duration: 38:47
Calories: 282 Cal
Avg Heart 109
Max Heart 141
(Fat Burn 27:12 & Fitness Burn 10:26) <-- times in specific HR zones?

EA SA results:
Duration: 30 minutes
Calories: 164
Avg Heart: 87
Max Heart: 167

I actually got the HRM for other activities because I love using the HRM in EA SA so much, but thought some of you folks using Sports Active may enjoy seeing this and perhaps sharing/comparing your own HRM results

Pete

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think the reason that the EA number is so low is that it's not recording during loading screens, where your Polar HRM records constantly. It's irritating because sometimes the screen takes forever to load and I'm standing there trying to stay moving with my heart beating out of my chest and not getting the calorie credit.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I use EA SA, and I was wondering how accurate it really is. Thanks for the info!!!
  • iambayd
    iambayd Posts: 235
    Options
    I think the reason that the EA number is so low is that it's not recording during loading screens, where your Polar HRM records constantly. It's irritating because sometimes the screen takes forever to load and I'm standing there trying to stay moving with my heart beating out of my chest and not getting the calorie credit.

I know exactly how you feel! It is irritating once the exercise is over that it just stops recording the calories until the next exercise starts.
  • brwnsugababe
    Options
    Will be getting it this weekend and will definitely compare.
  • pyroxian
    Options
    I'm approaching the end of the EASA2 9 week program and have been logging my calorie burn on my Polar FT60 alongside what the EA game shows since the beginning. I've never had the 2 results come even close to each other. Typically the polar will show at least double what EA says, in some of the longer more cardio intense workouts, it will even be 3x what EA says I burned.
    That's a fairly frequent topic of discussion over on the EA Sports Active forum, and the consensus seems to be that the HRM signal is not actually utilized for calorie calculations, and that the game uses approximately the same estimates as the earlier titles (EA Sports Active and More Workouts). I don't believe anyone at EA has positively confirmed this, but it meshes with my experience as well as that of lots of people over on the EA forums.
  • peteyTwang
    Options
    @AJweekly, Yes! i think that's right! about working out during the loading screens when I can and they aren't too painful (eg crunches!) I often keep doing the moves during the load screens and/or do things like keep holding onto my dumbell weights during 'boxing' routines etc
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    EA
    203 cals
    40 mins
    113 Avg HR
    154 Max HR

Polar HRM
    271 cals
    42 mins
    124 Avg HR
    157 Max HR

In Fat Zone 20:05 mins
    In Fit Zone 22:28 mins

That's my latest results. I haven't had more than 100 calories difference in the 10 or so I have done.
  • peteyTwang
    Options
    (oops. this was an accidental double post which I tried to delete but couldn't)
  • peteyTwang
    Options

That's my latest results. I haven't had more than 100 calories difference in the 10 or so I have done.
    thanks! i guess there's always room for error with the batteries and contacts etc on both devices too - like i think i had the polar logo on the chest strap upside down- and I know I just replaced the AAAs in the PS3 EA SA arm sensor. Perhaps that's a reason behind the fluctuations people have mentioned in this thread as well.

Has anybody looked into using their Polar with a phone app for outdoor activities like walking, cycling, skating etc.
    I posted a question about this product 60Beat which does this :
    http://www.60beat.com/
    and did a search here but no one appears to have posted about it yet