gift suggestions for a soldier overseas?

Options
What is an interesting gift to give a soldier who is being deployed overseas in Iraq?

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Anything that doesn't melt or rot. Dry cookies, twinkies, granola mix, peanuts, trail mix, etc... Anything they can read or play with - little toys from the dollar store are great. Paper, pens and enevelopes. CDs. Batteries. Socks and underwear. They don't have much storage space for their stuff so don't send big things.
  • likes2bwet
    likes2bwet Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My husband is already there and it is so hard. Seems like the post office doesn't ship much that isn't food :(
  • jesstroxel
    Options
    I use to go to Cafepress.com and create personalized gifts and send to my hubby and brothers.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    If not food, items like Stationary and cards along with disposable cameras are all things we donated a few years ago for Operation Graditude. My son, delpoys in 10 days, ship deployment for 7 months.

Here's to them all coming home safe! God Bless and Thank you for their Service!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    The Nintendo DS's are small and might help him pass some time. :smile:
  • jamielee37
    jamielee37 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BEEF JERKY and sunflower seeds. Every soldier I know loves both. My brother is there now, and my office sent 20 large flat rate boxes to them! Anything that's not perishable foodwise, granola bars, gum, sweets, fast breakfast stuff (pop tarts, oatmeal breakfast bars, etc). High energy, sodium and calories are okay, because they burn off so so much and are always hydrating. (And they use the word hydrate very specifically!) If they're in a remote area toiletries like deodorant, toothpaste and brushes, soap, shampoo, etc are incredibly well received since they can't get them easily. (Dentists will usually donate some if you like that idea) For downtime send magazines or puzzle books, even if the magazines are once used.
    Ask what they are craving. If you don't have phone/email contact yet just go with whatever they love here. DON'T check the perishable box in the Customs slip at the post office, it will just hold it up!