Is it bad to go over your daily protein requirements?

Annie5859
Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I've never really took notice of the daily nutrition requirements, just calorie intake. Is it okay to go over a bit on your daily protein if you are in your daily caloric intake? I have a bit of protein at every meal because it keeps me full longer. I don't actually eat a lot of meat either. Just seems like everything I eat contains a bit of protein in it.

Replies

• mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    I would like to know this too. I seem to do the same.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    bump
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    This is just my opinion for whatever it's worth, lol. I go over protein every day. Not on purpose and not by a ginormous amount or anything. However, I workout a lot and protein is great for helping rebuild the small tears your muscles get while working out. I wouldn't worry too much about going over on protein as long as your under your calories goal and what you are eating is healthy.
  • oshmom
    oshmom Posts: 78 Member
    I think going over protein is not a bad thing. I worry more about carbs and sodium, as my cals and fat are in check now. I added sodium and fiber to my nutrition view. I am not a salter and am amazed at sodium levels some days. My 300 calorie, no mayo subway sandwich was loaded with sodium!
  • A dietitian at my local gym told me to aim for 125g of protein per day. It helps build lean muscle and helps your muscles restore themselves after work outs.

That's the extent of my knowledge really... :ohwell:

Note: This is well over what MFP recommends for me so I aim to exceed protein.
  • Don't worry about going over on protein. Especially if you are strength training. Building lean muscle will help you burn fat and calories more efficiently. Get plenty of water.

Sodium and manufactured sugars are more of a concern.
This discussion has been closed.