Hair Loss and Losing Muscle

2»

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    [/quote]

"I am 5'1" and weighed 135 lbs. when I started my diet. I eat fruits almost on a daily basis, lots of vegetables, and my chicken and turkey. After thinking about what you said, 2 lbs may have been too aggressive...but I will admit, when I started this, my calorie intake was from anywhere between 900 - 1000 a day. I have now increased my intake to 1300 - 1400. Good, right??"
    [/quote]

So now you weigh 115lbs? If you want to lose more, you definiutely need to drop your goal to 1/2 lb per week.

1200 is the minimum calorie intake. More if you are exercising! You need to exercise to build muscle.

Fruit and veg are healthy, but those alone do not constitue a 'healthy' diet. As everyone has said, you need good fats and protein too. Along with natural/whole carbs.

I take supplements for fats too - Cod liver oil. Eat anything with Omega 3 - salmon, mackerel, butternut squash, olive oil......etc

You'll sort it out. Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    How is biotin making your hair fall out ? I am also taking it. Thanks ...
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    No, my hair loss is better since I started taking the Biotin, along with nail growth that I cannot keep up with - :)
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Simply stated from looking at your meals, you are starving yourself. There is a reason 1300 calories is where you should be. You should try to hit that number. going under by 5-10% is OK but 25-30% under on such small number is too much. Fat, protein and carbs are equally important and need to be considered.

The Urine color is from forcing Ketosis. you are actually consuming your muscle mass since there is no available fat in your diet ...SEE YOUR DOCTOR SOON and give him the whole story ou are edging toward some bad kidney issues if it continues.
  • It depends on what your diet is consisting of. Reducing your calorie intake too fast may cause your body to go into starvation mode, even though you may not be starving. Your body will start breaking down muscle before it breaks down fat. Fat is valuable packed energy and if your body thinks it's starving, it isn't going to break down the valuable stuff but other things like muscle...aka protein.

You may be reducing calories but becareful not to reduce nutrients. You should be getting about 20-30% protien, less than 30% and 50-60% carbs. Are you taking a multi-vitamin? It sounds like to me that you aren't getting enough protein. If your body isn't getting enough your hair will not grow and your body starts eating at itself to get the protein. Try to up your intake in protein and decrease your intake in carbs. Don't go all atkins, but try to correct the damage. Do this for awhile and see how you feel after a few weeks. I also suggest taking a fish oil supplement or vitamin E supplement to help heal the hair damage.

Don't forget to strength train either. Your body will build healthy lean tissues. Requiring your body to hold on to the protein. The more muscle dense a person is the higher their MBR is. Exercising is so important and that why when you work out you try to hit the fat burning range.
    I'm no an MD, so if you have any question please do not hesitate to ask. I'm just an RN offering what medical nutrition knowledge I have.
  • Thank you everyone for your good advice!!! I am trying to "self-correct" now and hopefully continue to maintain my weight!!!
  • Yes, my hair is falling out as well--due to my weight loss--but am told it will get better, and it has because I started taking Biotin.
    Yes, BIotin is excellent for hair loss...really works great!
This discussion has been closed.