One foot has an arch and the other is flat :(

Options
I guess my feet are kind of weird, my left foot has a medium arch in it and my right foot is completely flat/no arch at all. My left foot doesn't hurt when I walk/run but my right foot KILLS me. Hurts SO much that I constantly have to take breaks and get off my feet when I am exercising. :sad:
Does anyone else have this problem? I have tried various arch supports and they have not helped very much. Currently have Dr Scholls gel arch supports. Any advice? What shoes or insoles work? Thanks :smile:

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    My dad had that problem in both feet and nothing ever helped him (It did keep him from being drafted in Vietnam though) I hope you find something?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I would strongly advise you to get 2 different insoles for your shoes... one that have arch support and one that maybe doesnt. Experiment with them.

I struggle with foot problems myself... both blisters and foot pain. I have varied the shoes, the socks, and the insoles and although its better, it still is a problem for me as well. I have very very high arched feeties!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into Somnio running shoes? They have different ways to customize each shoe. Things like different insoles and cushioning for the soles.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have that problem (the muscles supporting the right arch are overstretched)- went to a podiatrist before Christmas to get examined - and was prescribed an orthotic for my shoe...he also said it was really bad the way most people stretch their feet / calves - by putting their toes against the wall, or tip toes on a step and lowering and pushing up - this stretches the ligaments that support the arch, and over time, can cause the arch to fall completely - like mine)

For working out (while waiting for the orthotic to arrive) is I wear an arch/ankle support (the neoprene kind - about $15.00 at the drug store). Since I've started using it, I have a LOT LESS pain in my foot when working out.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    you could be a world champion log roller! hey, it's not a bad problem let's laugh a litle.
  • marianna0056
    marianna0056 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think that may be my problem too. I got these Sketcher's ShapeUp sneakers. My right foot is flat so the arch in the shoe hits me right in the arch. (if there was an arch) My left shoe feels fine though. I can't walk very far in them. They take some getting used to, but I don't seem to be getting used to them and have had them now for a couple of months. Ouch!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    LOL! Thankssssss.... it just hurts so bad and holds me back when exercising :""(
    you could be a world champion log roller! hey, it's not a bad problem let's laugh a litle.
  • mallorybriann
    Options
    I will look into these, Thanks! In Gainesville I don't think we have a custom running shoe place. Back home in Melbourne, FL we have a place that finds what shoes would be good for your feet. They are expensive but I am so over this pain, I am more than willing to spend $100+ on shoes :(
    Maybe look into Somnio running shoes? They have different ways to customize each shoe. Things like different insoles and cushioning for the soles.
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    LOL! Thankssssss.... it just hurts so bad and holds me back when exercising :""(
    Sorry i was just playing. We have stores in NY that are called the Good Feet Store. They specialize in folks like you look on-line to see if you have them there. if not there has to be an ortho specialty store that can get you hopping again.
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    I guess my feet are kind of weird, my left foot has a medium arch in it and my right foot is completely flat/no arch at all. My left foot doesn't hurt when I walk/run but my right foot KILLS me. Hurts SO much that I constantly have to take breaks and get off my feet when I am exercising. :sad:
    Does anyone else have this problem? I have tried various arch supports and they have not helped very much. Currently have Dr Scholls gel arch supports. Any advice? What shoes or insoles work? Thanks :smile:

Hm... Can your flat foot do the same movements your arched foot does? I have a condition called tarsal coalition, it's not common, and can happen in either one or both feet. It basically means two bones are joined when they're not supposed to. This restricts some movements (I for example can't rotate my left foot) and over time develops flat-footedness. Message me if this rings a bell at all to you and I'll give you more info.
  • mallorybriann
    Options
    Yeah, I dont even notice the difference in my feet until I run or exercise. I can move them the same etc. I also have a lower back pain on the flat foot side :(
    I found a place in Gainesville that does a "gait analysis" and I am going to try that and see what they say. Thanks every one!!!

Hm... Can your flat foot do the same movements your arched foot does? I have a condition called tarsal coalition, it's not common, and can happen in either one or both feet. It basically means two bones are joined when they're not supposed to. This restricts some movements (I for example can't rotate my left foot) and over time develops flat-footedness. Message me if this rings a bell at all to you and I'll give you more info.
  • MiloSimpson
    Options
    I have this same affliction. I think mine has stemmed from running too much during my high school years in regular running shoes. The only way my problem has slowly started to fix itself is I started running barefoot. Slowly but surely the the arch in my right (flatter) foot is starting to raise, but so is the arch in my left foot, so it still feels awkward but not as bad. Hopefully the arches in both feet will end up being the same over time. Just be careful though if you do decide to go this route as the flatter foot is much weaker and more susceptible to injury. Hope this helps.

P.S. This problem can be fixed, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Be real careful if you do decide to start running barefoot