BLOATED!!!

katybeth534
katybeth534 Posts: 7
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
EVERY single time I eat I feel so bloated!!! I'm not eating greasy or fatty foods, or anything like broccoli... It can be after eating a sandwich with low sodium turkey and fat free swiss cheese! I am drinking all the water I am supposed to, and I have stopped drinking soda. But EVERY DAY I am in so much pain because I am so bloated right after lunch or dinner! HELP!!!! Is anyone else having the same problem??? If not, but you have before, how do you stop it from happening? It HURTS!

Replies

• Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    I have the same problem. I have to eat small meals or eat extremely slow so the bloating does not become unbearable. I dont know what causes it but if you do plz let me know!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Hello there sweetheart!

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. I'm not sure how much you know about this or what you may think, but is it possible that you have gluten allergy? My aunt has celiac and if she eats wheat she becomes horribly bloated. You may not have full fledged celiac but there is a chance that your body is just overloaded with it.

Signs and Symptoms of Malabsorption, Malnutrition, vitamin and/or mineral Deficiencies Associated with Celiac Disease:

* Abdominal cramps, gas and bloating
    * Anemia
    * Borborygmi (stomach rumbling)
    * Coetaneous bleeding
    * Diarrhea
    * Easy bruising
    * Epitasis (nose bleeding)
    * Failure to thrive
    * Fatigue or general weakness
    * Flatulence
    * Fluid retention
    * Foul-smelling or grayish stools that are often fatty or oily
    * Gastrointestinal symptoms
    * Gastrointestinal hemorrhage
    * Hematuria (red urine)
    * Hypocalcaemia/ hypomagnesaemia
    * Infertility
    * Iron deficiency anemia
    * lymphocytic gastritis
    * Muscle weakness
    * Muscle wasting
    * Nausea
    * No obvious physical symptoms (just fatigue, overall not feeling well)
    * Osteoporosis
    * Pallor (unhealthy pale appearance)
    * Panic Attacks
    * Peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage)
    * Stunted growth in children
    * Vertigo
    * Vitamin B12 deficiency
    * Vitamin D deficiency
    * Vitamin K deficiency
    * Vomiting
    * Voracious appetite
    * Weight loss
    * Obesity

Dairy allergies can also cause issues. I know that different feminine issues cause bloating like PMS and endometriosis but this really sounds food related to me. I have done a gluten free, dairy free, yeast free, sugar free diet before and it greatly reduced my bloating. I have tons of recipes and right now we are studying to put our son on dairy free/gluten free diet! If you want to chat, just message me! :o)
  • It sounds as though you may have a physical problem with the outlet of your stomach--scarring from repeated ulcers, chronic gastritis,etc. There are multilple causes for a partial outlet obstruction of the stomach. I would suggest that you first stop drinking much fluid with your meals--you may be over expanding the volume of the stomach and the increased muscle push to empty
    the stomach may be part of the problem. The "bloated" feeling you have after each meal is probably directly related to the
    content (amount) you eat at a time----good luck.
  • ajwisehart
    ajwisehart Posts: 2 Member
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I wish I had an answer but I don't:( I've tried every over the counter drug/herb that I could find as well as eliminating certain foods from my diet, but nothing has worked on a consistent basis. My doctor just told me that I probably had IBS and if the things I had already tried didn't work then I was probably just too stressed (SO not helpful). I really hope someone else has an idea of what to do because it is incredibly frustrating.
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Has this been happening long term?

Maybe you could try probiotics, like Inner Health Plus, it helps against the bad bacteria in the GIT from releasing gas which may be providing the discomfort.
  • wonrob
    triple post :\
  • wonrob
    double post
  • jaduff
    jaduff Posts: 12
    Are you eating more high fiber food like fruits and veggies or more whole grain foods? It can take your body some time to adjust, in the meantime make sure and chew everything very thoroughly and only eat until you are comfortably full.
  • It could also be with your gallbladder. My doctor actually put me on something called Actigall. When you lose weight, especially if it is alot of weight, your gallbladder can act up. I actually worked for a lady one time who had to have hers removed after losing a good bit of weight. At any rate, gallbladder issues ususally present with gastric symptoms.

Also, if you are eating a lot less than you normally would, sometimes you can get air on your stomach. I know I have this sometimes and will usually burp a good bit when this is what it is.

At any rate, if it continues, you should probably have your doctor check it out in case it is your gallbladder.
  • I deal with bloating on a daily basis because I suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Most often, bloating is caused by constipation. Sometimes fiber can help to eliminate the buildup of materials and water retention in your system. However, many people, such as me, find excesses of fiber to contribute to the problem of bloating.
    One of the most effective things you can do to help eliminate your discomfort is to drink a lot of water throughout the day. It may seem counterintuitive, but you’ll be eliminating the retained fluid and then some. This should give you some relief from the chronic distention and you may even see a difference in your weight. I also find that exercise plays a critical role in managing this symptom.
    It’s handy to carry around a water bottle with the fluid ounces labeled so you can easily keep track of how much you’ve had (I try to drink about 12 to 13 cups daily). Also, you may find that drinking cold water causes further gas and cramping, so stick to room temperature water to start and see how it affects you.
    I too have a very difficult time with eating and have had to strictly regulate my diet because I have so many trigger foods.
    You should ask your general physician to have you checked out for Celiac Disease (of which I also suffer) any unknown food allergies, or possibly IBS. You may be eating something daily that is causing you the constant discomfort. Keep track of what you’re eating and how you feel after you’ve ingested it. You can judge what foods are specifically bothering you, and make a note of what time you ate them to compare how you felt for the remainder of the day.
    You may find OTC fiber supplements, laxatives and enemas helpful to get things “moving along”. You may wish to experiment with both a high fiber (rich in vegetables, whole grains and fruits) diet compared to a low fiber plan (easy to digest proteins, simple starches in moderation) and gage any differences in your stomach upset.
    I sincerely wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you’ll be feeling healthy again very soon.
This discussion has been closed.