HELP PLEASE!!

dixiemomma48
dixiemomma48 Posts: 2
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
I am having a HARD time trying to change my lifestyle to a much healthier one. I am a full time stay at home mom, who attends school full time. I am suffering from post partum depression and have been on 3 different kinds of medicine to treat it and I have just turned to food to comfort me. I am hoping this medicine I am on now helps, but I dont know how to get myself motivated. I have a gym membership, and I love to go but I have been slacking off and then make excuses for myself. Dieting is so hard with my family who loves to cook and eat, not to mention living in the south and everything needing to be deep fried or smothered in gravy. If someone can give me good tips, tricks or just help motivate me please help me!! Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• mbrotnitsky
    mbrotnitsky Posts: 44 Member
    No more excuses- I know all about excuses Im the queen of excuses. Just do it. Stop whining about all the obstacles and know you are the only one standing in your way. Every choice is yours, if you dont go to the gym or exercise its your choice if you eat too many calories its your choice. I know I'm there right with you. We have had too many excuses for not taking care of us. SO WE MUST stop whining and just do it. Friend me if you want someone who won't tell you want u want to heart but give you the truth.
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Exercise actually boots mood, so look at it as a supplement to your meds. Have you thought about one of those "baby and me" exercise videos? Then the little one could be involved.

One step leads to another. Get up and march in place during every other commercial break, then every one, then do a video, then go to the gym. You may even have to make a deal with yourself, but you can do it.

As for the Southern...I understand. However, contrary to the way we were raised, baked tastes as good as fried if you do it right. Even gravy, in moderation, and without the crisco, is not a bad thing.

Hang in there!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Amen to the post above - it is your choice. One piece of advice - you have to be selfish - put you first above everyone else :) it's the only way!
  • u got this!!!! its all in your head!!! u have to think I CAN DO THIS!!! THIS IS WHAT I WANT!!! I WILL DO THIS FOR ME AND MY HEALTH FOR MY NEW BABY!! congrats by the way! u are on the rite track and keep telling urself how amazing you will look when u have accomplished your goal!!! Good luck girl you got this!!!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    yep, yes, and amen! Just do it
    FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT
    if you do anything, stop eating sugar, it affects your mood, and go for a walk, get those good chemicals from exercise flowing through you.

One step at a time......every day notice one thing, no matter how small, that is better than the day before
    even if its that you just drank one glass of water more than the day before. Just keep doing something better every day.......pretty soon it will be seven or ten days into it and guess what? You've done seven to ten things better than you did the week before --- and then you do another day and add another good thing that you did for YOU.

Add me if you want :)
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    I would strongly suggest getting off of those meds. I was on them and that's how I gained 35 pounds. I now use exercise as my anti-depressent and it works wonders. In order to do it, you have to want it bad enough. So, dig deep and got get some! :)
  • Wow you are doing so much! New baby, going to school fulltime plus full time mom! Pat yourself on the back. Just put the babe in a stroller and walk, its great exercise for a new mom. The gym may be adding too much to your busy schedule right now. Take it a day at a time and congratulate yourself each day for having a healthy babe and each day that you eat healthy! And if you slip back just go on, each day is a new one! You will get to your goal.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    It is ok to be feeling the way you do! We all have our moments..but it is time to DO THIS FOR YOU! You have to be selfish and put yourself first when it comes to weight loss and getting healthy. Here are some tips:

* Eat fruit instead of a cookie. Or try dry cereal if you are craving something sweet..my go to is Chocolate Cheerios.
    * If you are trying to get more protein in, eat some nuts or a protein rich yogurt like Greek yogurt.
    *I use smaller plates now to help with portion control and don't keep the serving bowls on the table. And I don't have a second helping.
    *Also..WATER WATER WATER....not only will it keep you full..it will flush your body of a lot of toxins..

I live in the south too..and trust me I love fried food and things smothered in gravy...but there are much healthier options.
    Feel free to friend me...we all need help and motivation during this journey.

Good luck!!
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    I too am from the south and totally relate. My advice invest in a small forman grill. The "little champ" is perfect for single servings just for you. That way you can still eat the same meat just for a lot less calories. Maybe you can measure out the gravy. I still currently eat mashed potatoes, I just portion them out. I know its tough but if you start small and change things a little at a time it wont feel soo overwhelming. Also drink lots of water, I cut out sodas a month ago and had a sip the other day, it tasted horrible. I have no desire for soda, im working on the sweet tea. Good luck on your journey.
  • justlikeayoyo
    justlikeayoyo Posts: 5 Member
    I used to be on anti-depressants. I was finally able to get off of them through diet, exercise, and some helpful therapy. Of the three, I would say exercise is the most important. Specifically, about 30 minutes of hatha yoga twice a week will do wonders on all levels. And you don't even need a gym! Get on Netflix and find a handful of videos that you like. The ones produced by The Biggest Loser are excellent, as well as The Firm. All it takes is 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Even though you are indoors, use good cross-training shoes like Reebok or New Balance--your feet will thank you (I say this after struggling with tendonitis for about 6 months because I learned the hard way). Learn to eat lots (and lots) of vegetables and lean proteins. And USE THIS SITE. It's worked for me before, and it's starting to work again. Hang in there, we are all pulling for you!
  • The various vitamin B's can cause depression like symptoms if they are in deficiency. Be sure to get plenty in your diet also as someone said above exorcise is a mood elevator. You can do this and we're all here to help. Getting past challenges ain't easy but it can be satisfying.

Good Luck and keep us posted so we can celebrate with you upon your success!
  • Congrats on the new little one, and bettering yourself by going to school!! My husband is back to school and it's stressful and time consuming, so I feel ya there! My new favorite saying these days is "Progress NOT Perfection" too often going into life changes like this we have a mental picture of how it will work out, and if your anything like me everything is perfect in this vision. This quote brings me back to the present and makes me realize I may not be doing EVERYTHING just right but dammit what I did today was better than yesterday! Take it one step at a time and take pride in those steps!!!! Working out and watching sugar content are 2 of the best ways to improve mood and wellbeing, I think you will see a big change in how you feel all the way around once you make the choice to start moving. You can do it, and you have all of MFP to help you when you need it!! Good Luck, and remember..... "Progress not Perfection" :wink:
  • justlikeayoyo
    justlikeayoyo Posts: 5 Member
    And oh yes, srs1881, I also take a B-Vitamin supplement almost every day! Good point!
  • Thank you everyone! All the advice and encouragement means so much to me right now!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    PPD is a very serious thing. You need to make sure you are getting enough rest. Having a new baby and carrying a full college work load is a lot to take on but can be done. Sometimes you can go beyond your limits but also in the same instance you can heightened your stress by over-reacting to your life changes. You need to schedule your daily activities and try to stick with them when you can. Of course the baby will dictate some things but you have to learn how to be flexible and adapt. Those medications can work if they are really needed. Sometimes Doctors will give you a script based on what you tell them and not whats medically needed. I think you have to at least try to structure your life better in order to fit everything in and also have time for yourself. Medication isn't going to help with that. Its all up to you.

Take one day at a time. Rest, Breathe and try to plan out your day to day activities in order to have better results.
This discussion has been closed.