How am I supposed to eat 1500 calories tonight???

Options
After entering all of my food choices for the day, I ended up 400 calories under my 1600 per day quota. Great! But I forgot to enter the 2 hrs I spent working out tonight. By the time I entered my workout, I had a 1500 calorie deficit. I had a healthy nutritious dinner (brown rice, chicken teriyaki and a big pile of broccoli) , and have absolutely no desire to eat anything more. I don't understand how I'm supposed to eat 1500 calories more?!?!?!

Replies

• javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Can't say I ever have that problem!
  • freska1181
    freska1181 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you don't need to eat that much! working out gives you the extra calories to eat if you want to stay the same weight. I'm guessing you are trying to lose weight. Do not eat that many calories!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It won't be a big deal if you can't eat more tonight. But in the future you: A. shouldn't burn that many calories exercising, it's too much for your body, and B. try to estimate the amount of calories you'll burn and work them into your meals earlier in the day.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness!! Cause if I had to eat 1500 cals, I think I would make myself sick.

But as to burning off that many cals, I always work out that way. And I was testing out new sneakers (which were REALLY comfy). It's not very difficult for me to burn a lot of cals in the gym. I'm not a small person (35 lbs lost -- 205 lbs until goal), so doing any cardio exercise for a prolonged period makes a major dent. I'm really getting into the cardio, and definitely don't want to cut it back.

BTW, starting yoga on Sunday. I'm gonna be a pretzel, instead of eating the pretzel. <lol>
  • prettypink09
    prettypink09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been in your position a few nights ago, since my daily calorie limit is 1,000.. and I usually only eat 400-900 per day... then I workout an hour, where I burn 1,007 soo that leaves me with a huge deficit.. but I never thought of eating then again.. lol
    O.0

Like today I only ate 900, and im about to workout for an hour an burn 1,000 !!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    After entering all of my food choices for the day, I ended up 400 calories under my 1600 per day quota. Great! But I forgot to enter the 2 hrs I spent working out tonight. By the time I entered my workout, I had a 1500 calorie deficit. I had a healthy nutritious dinner (brown rice, chicken teriyaki and a big pile of broccoli) , and have absolutely no desire to eat anything more. I don't understand how I'm supposed to eat 1500 calories more?!?!?!

This may be a little contriverial here.

I have this problem often. I'm a big guy and burn some big calories...often in the evening. Here's what I do, and it's worked so far.
    If you're full and not hungry...don't eat.

However, If you're super hungry..or more hungry than normal tomorrow in the AM feel free to borrow some calories from the previous day. But I wouldn't do it passed noon, and I wouldn't use all 1500.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    you don't need to eat that much! working out gives you the extra calories to eat if you want to stay the same weight. I'm guessing you are trying to lose weight. Do not eat that many calories!

False. MFP is set up so you can lose weight WITHOUT exercising. Your initial goal is already set at a deficit so you can lose weight. Exercising is a bonus. Your net calories should never fall below 1200 for a woman (1500 for men). Your body can't function on less than that.

It won't hurt you if this happens just once, but as NoAdditives said, try to plan your exercise calories into your meals and snacks so this doesn't keep happening. You don't have to eat ALL your exercise calories back since your initial goal is 1600, but you do need to make sure your net stays above 1200 if you want to lose weight and stay healthy.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    A. shouldn't burn that many calories exercising, it's too much for your body.

B. try to estimate the amount of calories you'll burn and work them into your meals earlier in the day.

A. Is a rediculous statement.

B. Is a good idea. And try to do most days.
  • coachdoubled
    Options
    I have been in your position a few nights ago, since my daily calorie limit is 1,000.. and I usually only eat 400-900 per day... then I workout an hour, where I burn 1,007 soo that leaves me with a huge deficit.. but I never thought of eating then again.. lol
    O.0

You really should read this article (warning: the entire thread may take you a week). I am afraid that you are setting yourself up for failure by not eating anywhere near the calories that your body needs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=700+calories

Just an FYI and I hope that you are successful
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    A is not a ridiculous statement. Of course, you can't spell ridiculous so I doubt there has been a formal education in this regard.

There a huge number of physiological responses to exercise stress. And, guess what, you can only take so much of it (especially when resources are scarce). In fact, there have been plenty of studies that suggest any time spend over 60 minutes actually DEGRADES muscle and serves no benefit.

Sorry for attacking you, but the misinformation on this site is just hugely abundant and I'm entirely sick of it.
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    A is not a ridiculous statement. Of course, you can't spell ridiculous so I doubt there has been a formal education in this regard.

There a huge number of physiological responses to exercise stress. And, guess what, you can only take so much of it (especially when resources are scarce). In fact, there have been plenty of studies that suggest any time spend over 60 minutes actually DEGRADES muscle and serves no benefit.

Sorry for attacking you, but the misinformation on this site is just hugely abundant and I'm entirely sick of it.

- 2pts for heckling the typo
    +3 pts for that golden nugget of information.

Truly good information, thank you!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    O.0

You really should read this article (warning: the entire thread may take you a week). I am afraid that you are setting yourself up for failure by not eating anywhere near the calories that your body needs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing?hl=700+calories

Not necessarily true either. If you are small to begin with, and have lost a good deal of weight already, 900 - 1000 Calories daily may really be what you need for maintenance. In that situation, and it's not uncommon, 1200 Cals would make a person gain weight. The "1200" Calories is a general rule of thumb: individually the situation may be different.
  • lilwednesday
    Options

False. MFP is set up so you can lose weight WITHOUT exercising. Your initial goal is already set at a deficit so you can lose weight. Exercising is a bonus. Your net calories should never fall below 1200 for a woman (1500 for men). Your body can't function on less than that.

It won't hurt you if this happens just once, but as NoAdditives said, try to plan your exercise calories into your meals and snacks so this doesn't keep happening. You don't have to eat ALL your exercise calories back since your initial goal is 1600, but you do need to make sure your net stays above 1200 if you want to lose weight and stay healthy.

I disagree. they suggested I ate 1370 and that is way too much for me to lose weight. I had to adjust to 1200 which is more practical.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options

Really? Marathon runners are unhealthy? Riding a bike for longer than two hours is unhealthy? Playing Golf is unhealthy?
    Spending a few hours goofing around in a pool is unhealthy?

All these things burn more than 1500 calories for me. There is a point at which the body will begin to break down from too much exercise. But 1500 or even 6000 in one day isn't going to do it.
  • coachdoubled
    Options
    O.0

Not necessarily true either. If you are small to begin with, and have lost a good deal of weight already, 900 - 1000 Calories daily may really be what you need for maintenance. In that situation, and it's not uncommon, 1200 Cals would make a person gain weight. The "1200" Calories is a general rule of thumb: individually the situation may be different.

I agree that the hard fast 1200 cal rule doesn't apply to everyone, however if she only ate 900 calories and burns 1,000 that means she she negative 100 calories for the day so she isn't even eating enough to fuel her workout much less BMR activities like breathing. It is totally unsustainable and if continued over even a short period of time can be very dangerous. Not to mention the side effects that will occur with her weight loss.

I understand that people are very opposed to blanket rules, but to tell someone that it is okay to be that far under on calories, much less negative is doing them a grave disservice.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    O.0

If she ate 400 calories and burned 1000 just exercising (that doesn't include any of the BMR stuff), how can you say that that is suitable? She has just given herself a NEGATIVE 600 calories for the 23 hours that she wasn't working out. How long do you think the human body can do that without completely shutting down??

ETA -- according to her ticker, she is around 300 lbs. Did you look at that before suggesting what she was doing was "not uncommon"??
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could have read my post a little better. It wasn't directed at her situation but a general comment. Also, generally, most people underestimate their caloric intake and overestimate caloric deficit because of exercise, and then wonder why they plateau. Also as a general comment. MFP offers a one size fits all approach, based on outdated ideas about nutrition. So the guidelines that the site delivers, I'm not sure about their value in specific circumstances. Then you're far better off with a nutritionist's advice than with a rule of thumb from the creators of this site and tool. Just my personal opinion, so take it as that, please.
  • bez_16
    Options
    Professional athletes train anything from 4 to 6+ hours a day, I don't see rowers, rugby players etc wasting away through muscle deficit. When I was rowing at university (formal education! Oxford!) I was doing an average of 3 hours a day, while under the supervision of a professional coach!!

Working out, assuming the intensity is appropriate for your general health, is always a good thing. As long as your meals are balanced being under your cal intake won't be a bad thing!