Sugar in fruit

Options
I ate watermelon and an orange today for morning snack and it put me over my sugar limit and that was before lunch. How can fruit be so high in sugar but low in calories and what shouldI be paying closer attention to sugar or calories? I'm keeping calories under control but I have PCOS so sugar is very bad for me.....

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is very different to processed sugar. Sadly MFP doesn't differentiate between the two. Do not worry if your sugar is over because of fruit.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is very different to processed sugar. Sadly MFP doesn't differentiate between the two. Do not worry if your sugar is over because of fruit.

Sadly that is not true: fructose is fructose as far as your body is concerned and it does not process it differently from other sugars either.
    Excess fructose consumption has been hypothesized to be a cause of insulin resistance, obesity,[37] elevated LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, leading to metabolic syndrome.[38] Fructose consumption has been shown to be correlated with obesity,[39][40] especially central obesity which is thought to be the most dangerous kind of obesity. A study in mice showed that a high fructose intake increases adiposity.[41]
    Although all simple sugars have nearly identical chemical formulae, each has distinct chemical properties. This can be illustrated with pure fructose. A journal article reports that, "...fructose given alone increased the blood glucose almost as much as a similar amount of glucose (78% of the glucose-alone area)".[42][43][44][44][45]
    One study concluded that fructose "produced significantly higher fasting plasma triacylglycerol values than did the glucose diet in men" and "...if plasma triacylglycerols are a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, then diets high in fructose may be undesirable".[46] Bantle et al. "noted the same effects in a study of 14 healthy volunteers who sequentially ate a high-fructose diet and one almost devoid of the sugar."[47]
    Fructose is a reducing sugar, as are all monosaccharides. The spontaneous chemical reaction of simple sugar molecules to proteins, known as glycation, is thought to be a significant cause of damage in diabetics. Fructose appears to be equivalent to glucose in this regard and so does not seem to be a better answer for diabetes for this reason alone, save for the smaller quantities required to achieve equivalent sweetness in some foods.[48] This may be an important contribution to senescence and many age-related chronic diseases.[49]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Myth: Sugar in fruit is good, sugar in candy is bad.

Fact: The sugar in most fruit is primarily fructose, which has few, if any, advantages over sucrose (the sugar in candy). So it doesn't matter, for instance, if your jam is sweetened with "sugar" or "fruit juice sweetener."

http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/fw/fwNut03Carbs.html

The sugar levels are what they are, there's no sugar coating it [ba dum bump] if they exceed your daily allowance. HOWEVER, you have to decide if the benefits of the vitamin content of those fruits outweighs the sugar content - which is where fruit sugar and refined sugars differ. The benefit of the fruit sugar is the fruit itself - complete with actual nutritional value.
  • lhague
    lhague Posts: 258
    Options
    There is a difference for people with diabetes. The way the body breaks the sugar (sucrose) down is much different than fructose. That is why a diabetic will eat a fruit and not sugar.
  • RamNemesis
    RamNemesis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat fruits in the morning and lunch in order to gain from the vitimins and fibre. I don't eat after 4pm where the sugar has a greater chance of being stored as fat.
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    This has been one of the things that has shocked me most, since joining MFP.....I used to eat lots of fruit, I've had to cut that right down.
  • fitnesscalv
    fitnesscalv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If Fruit is bad then why are most fruits Low on the Glycemic Index, I.E. Apples, Pears and Plums are all in the 30s which is better than wholegrain foods/oatmeal and sweet potatoes etc...?

"The glycemic index, glycaemic index, or GI is a measure of the effects of carbohydrates on blood sugar levels. Carbohydrates that break down quickly during digestion and release glucose rapidly into the bloodstream have a high GI; carbohydrates that break down more slowly, releasing glucose more gradually into the bloodstream, have a low GI. The concept was developed by Dr. David J. Jenkins and colleagues[1] in 1980–1981 at the University of Toronto in their research to find out which foods were best for people with diabetes." Wikipedia.
  • lhague
    Options
    Well said, the isometric forms are different than sugar in candy, etc.
  • lodro
    Options
    Fruits may be low on the glycemic index exactly because they are fruits and contain fiber. However, if you were to consume those fruits in the form of juice, that would be higher up the index. The fact that fruits contain fructose has very little to do with that.
  • lhague
    Options
    The way the body breaks down the fructose is different. Diabetic patients. Juice from concentrate is not the same as fresh squeezed juice. I will find you the source and send it to you if you would like.

Maybe you are thinking of high fructose like corn syrup, which is different from fructose in fruit.
  • lodro
    Options
    The way the body breaks down the fructose is different. Diabetic patients. Juice from concentrate is not the same as fresh squeezed juice. I will find you the source and send it to you if you would like.

Maybe you are thinking of high fructose like corn syrup, which is different from fructose in fruit.

Fructose is fructose, chemically
  • lhague
    Options

Fructose is fructose, chemically

You quoted wikipedia, please refer to it and it will plainly in laymen terms say there are chemical differences. It really is a mute point tho. You believe what you need and diabetic patients do as the doctor say.

Have a good day :smile:
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I wouldnt exactly call Wikipedia a reliable source
  • lhague
    Options
    I agree, there are better sites, but he quoted it, so I referred him back to it. If anyone wants the other sites, I will post.
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    Sorry :) I didnt phrase that very well...I meant that directed at him :smile:
  • lhague
    Options
    It's all good, I kind of figured that, or maybe I was hoping that. :blushing:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Excess fructose consumption has been hypothesized to be a cause of insulin resistance, obesity,[37] elevated LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, leading to metabolic syndrome.

I wonder how many people have become morbidly obese because they've snacked too many apples... :huh:
  • lhague
    Options
    That made me laugh :laugh:

Thanks!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Sadly that is not true: fructose is fructose as far as your body is concerned and it does not process it differently from other sugars either.

No. Fructose which you find in fruit is processed differently to glucose which you find in refined sugars such as the stuff you sprinkle over your breakfast cereal. This is a mixture of both fructose and glucose.

Glucose can be directly extracted from your food intake and can therefore spikes blood sugar levels leading to over eating etc. Fructose needs to be processed / digested by your body before it can be converted to glucose and therefore used. Admittedly fructose is a simple sugar and therefore there is not a huge difference or time lag between the conversion compared to glucose alone. Therefore spikes in blood sugar levels can occur as well. Offset against this the abundance of health benefits in eating fruit such as the fibre content.

The fruit issue is a classic example of the lack of balance on this site sometimes. Is eating multiple portions of fruit suitable for a minority or people? No. It is suitable for most people? Absolutely yes. Persoanlly I wouldn't bother tracking sugar on this site as it doesn't differentiate between the different types.

Honestly this site is sometimes enough to put a boy off his mango...
  • bettyboop573
    Options
    hehehe well said!!!! I dont worry about the suga rmuch either, since mine is almost always fruit...I watch where my sigar comes from.....hahah love the apples making you fat comment!