Why havent I lost any weight yet?

Options
:frown: :cry:

Hi everyone,
I have been using MFP for a while now and find it really useful to see what and how I'm eating. I decided to make a postive difference to myself this year as I have been unfit for some time. I'm 5'4" and weigh 11st 2 lbs, I used to be 7st,6 but then I know I was 12 years younger and alot fitter, in 2004 I was still 8 1/2 st but since then I have crept up. I know why, and it was alot of comfort eating, so this time I thought right I'm going to get fit, as its what I miss the most and get my weight down to about 9 -9 1/2 as at 40yrs old that seems more sensible. Since 31st of December 2010 I have cycled 4 miles a day, ridden my horse 3-5 times aweek for at least 20 mins to 30 mins ( he is a difficult type) and I walk alot too. I've been keeping my calories between 1600 - 1900 mainly because I cant get through much more food than that a day, when I feel particularly tired I eat more, but I am watching what I eat and being I would say very sensible and healthy.
Sooooooo
I weighed myself on 28th of Jan and again this morning and guess what...... I have not lost a single lb pound not a one, not a tiddly squiddly ounce. I feel like I am changing shape, I feel better but the weight is refusing to budge!!
any clues people, whats wrong with me, I dont intend to give up, but a lovely man has come back into my life and he knew me 10 yrs ago, so I'd love to run a well kept vintage model by him at a nice classy dinner instead of feeling like an old banger with bits dropping off.

Replies

• Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    You've mentioned cardio, but what about strength training? People forget that strength training is essential to weight loss and weight management, too. Muscle burns more calories than fat, which raises your Base Metabolic Rate, which is what you burn while resting. So it gives you a bit of an edge. I would recommend strength training 3 days a week, but do not work any one muscle group two days in a row. Your muscles need a day in between to heal and repair. Also, how is your water intake? That, too, is essential. Also, have you truly changed your eating habits, or are you eating the same stuff, but just staying within your calories? I think a lot of people eat the same food that they ate when they gained weight, but just try to stay within calories, and then lose really slowly. Make sure you are making nutritious food choices :) Hope that helps. Keep going :)
  • ultimategar
    ultimategar Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Based on this calculator - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ your BMR is 1446 calories per day. To lose 1 lb per week you need to be 500 below this each day. Adding on say 350 cals for exercise each day you still want to be eating a max of 1300 cals. Bear in mind that the BMR calculation is average and yours may naturally be lower. Alos the type of food you're eating and when you eat it will make a difference - try to have a big breakfast and make sure you have something healthy immediately after exercise.
    The fact that you're changing shape is fantastic! Your bodyweight is irrelavant, how you feel and how your body performs is whats important. Keep up the good work.
  • ladyb312
    Options
    lol - well I certainly hopes he gets to see the well kept vintage model!

One of the things I found really helped me was to do something like body pump as this builds your muscle (don't worry it doesn't bulk you up, your muscles are not your fat cells) and this burns calories at a much better rate than cardiovascular work.

When you cycle 4 miles a day, is it an easy cycle or do you go for it? You should go for it.

I would actually say your calorie level is too high, you should try to keep to 1,500 (if you're doing exercise as well, if not less than this).

Hope that helps.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    hey i think 1600-1900 calories is too much to be losing any weight at your height.

to see any inch loss i think you should aim for 1400 max a day
  • lou98
    lou98 Posts: 5
    Options
    I think perhaps you are eating too many calories and unfortunately you can reach a plateau with certain exercise. Maybe you could squeeze in a swim as well as the cycling and riding?

I have a horse and don't log the calories unless I've had a lesson, tough schooling session or been for a decent hack because i'm riding fit I don't find it much of a work out.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    1600-1900 cals a day would be maintenance for me. Make sure you've set your goals to lose and not to maintain.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    To be honest 1900 calories is a lot of food for someone of your height...

And some of your training, like 4 mile bike rides, really isn't going to burn an awful lot.

You'll probably have to take a good look at both, food & exercise, if you want to make some visible progress with this.
  • FrancesJones
    Options
    thank you everyone who replied, really really useful. I'm definately not riding fit, and this is spurring me on. I will have a go at altering my calorie intake but just extra guidance, the MFP gives you added calories when you exercise and when I complete my entry it sometimes tells me my intake is too low, specially when I keep under 1400.
    I get confused :ohwell:
  • Panda86
    Options
    Based on this calculator - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ your BMR is 1446 calories per day. To lose 1 lb per week you need to be 500 below this each day. Adding on say 350 cals for exercise each day you still want to be eating a max of 1300 cals. Bear in mind that the BMR calculation is average and yours may naturally be lower. Alos the type of food you're eating and when you eat it will make a difference - try to have a big breakfast and make sure you have something healthy immediately after exercise.
    The fact that you're changing shape is fantastic! Your bodyweight is irrelavant, how you feel and how your body performs is whats important. Keep up the good work.

Except one problem- 500 below this puts her under the recommended 1200 net calories. Not a good idea.
  • Panda86
    Options
    thank you everyone who replied, really really useful. I'm definately not riding fit, and this is spurring me on. I will have a go at altering my calorie intake but just extra guidance, the MFP gives you added calories when you exercise and when I complete my entry it sometimes tells me my intake is too low, specially when I keep under 1400.
    I get confused :ohwell:

Don't go under 1200 calories, and try zigzagging your calories- eat 1200 one day, 1300 the next, 1400, then 1200, etc...