Staying motivated on the weekends

Options
This is perhaps my biggest challenge (as I'm sure it is for a lot of people). How do YOU stay motivated?

Replies

• zakku1
    zakku1 Posts: 32
    Options
    my friends and I weigh in on Monday. Knowing the big bad scale is waiting (weighting?) helps.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i try to get out of bed no later than 9am on a weekend and jump straight into the shower to wake me up. then i usually do all my chores round the house (which i log because you burn alot of calories cleaning). I feel so much more energised once iv done everything that needs to be done before midday. If you laze around for most of the day you will never build up the energy you need to motivate yourself to eat well and work out. :o) good luck!!
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    i just think on how amazing im gona look when i get to where i wana be :) granted i dont eat as well on the weekends, but i try n fit at least half an hour in on the wii fit and im gona start goin to the Sun nite zumba class as well as the Tues nite :D

best of luck

Kirstie xx
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    It's all about planning.

I make sure I plan my weekend food diary in advance (In fact I am currently trying to plan my meals a week in advance!) that way I am much less tempted to cheat.

I also work out more at the weekends.

BUT life really can be a drag without any treats so I do allow myself a few drinks either Friday or Saturday...

Also I am finding it really easy to make big but healthy dinners by bulking up on salad or veg so I really do not feel deprived.

I also find having things to do (even if it is just cleaning or popping round to see my nephew) keeps my mind off of food.
  • ratbag36
    Options
    I also weigh in Monday morning and it is amazing how motivated you can be on the week end :wink:
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    This is perhaps my biggest challenge (as I'm sure it is for a lot of people). How do YOU stay motivated?

I made Monday my weigh in day! Sick and tired of being good all week and then blowing it on the weekend and then hating myself on Monday and feeling like a Loser!...I also tell myself someone might view my diary and I don't want to be embarrassed...Anything that works and that works for me...Thanks MFP friends!
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    I agree with others. Plan and use Monday as weigh in day.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    TO stay motivated on the weekends, I plan ahead for meals. I also go to yoga at least one day. My sonhas skating lessons, and we usually go for a swim as well. So for me it's all about planning and making time for fitness.
  • barberella
    Options
    I have problems with this one too. Being at work and having a consistent schedule keeps me motivated throughout the week..But Saturday hits, and I'm with my daughter from morning til night, and things get off track especially since she wants more of my time on the weekends instead of watching me work out! And being cooped up in this winter weather, doesn't help. We did hit the sledding hill last Saturday, so that helped. Wore her out!

But little things I have learned is to try to get up before her and workout. I will go to the community center right down the street to work out if she becomes a little too distracting. Also, try to plan the meals, and sometimes, I put in the amount of calories before I eat them to know what I'm up against. And this is a little weird, but I do like to make cookies or cakes with her and it reminds me that I'm strong enough to not give in..especially to raw choc chip dough..A big weakness, but I know I'm strong enough now.
  • ladyccp
    ladyccp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me I realized that I use to work hard monday thru friday to watch my calories and saturday and sunday I would eat all those saved calories and more and ultimately it would keep the scale from not moving or going up...so if u really want to see the results u have to stay focused and at least make better choices on the weekend...Dont have a cheat weekend...U WORK TOO HARD DURING THE WEEK.....
  • xslbs
    xslbs Posts: 3
    Options
    I think the planning food in advance is a really good (if obvious) one. If I've not bought any "bad" food then I can't eat it! I try to do some exercise on the weekend so that means I can give myself a treat of something like wine or something sweet in return, which is good motivation!

I think the hardest thing about weekends for me is the alcohol temptation. I've also started buying low alcohol drinks. The beer tastes alright but, I won't lie, the wine isn't as good but you get used to it. Lots of supermarkets do a 5% red wine which is ok. It's worth trying out anyway!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I spend time on Friday planning the weekend out ----staying busy----even if I have to clean a closet!
  • SoonToBeNewTracey
    Options

I made Monday my weigh in day! Sick and tired of being good all week and then blowing it on the weekend and then hating myself on Monday and feeling like a Loser!...I also tell myself someone might view my diary and I don't want to be embarrassed...Anything that works and that works for me...Thanks MFP friends!
    I too weigh in on Monday. Friday used to be my day and I would totally go nuts on the weekend and spend the rest of the week trying to lose what i gained on the weekend. I got nowhere fast!
    I agree too that the food log is a huge motivater! I don't want all my MFP friends to see a bunch of junk in my log!!!
    Good luck to you!!
  • janaegriffin87
    janaegriffin87 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i try to get out of bed no later than 9am on a weekend and jump straight into the shower to wake me up. then i usually do all my chores round the house (which i log because you burn alot of calories cleaning). I feel so much more energised once iv done everything that needs to be done before midday. If you laze around for most of the day you will never build up the energy you need to motivate yourself to eat well and work out. :o) good luck!!

I am going to try this myself! Thanks!
  • allie_00
    Options
    Great responses! Thanks, everyone! The Monday weigh in is definitely a good one.

Have a GREAT weekend :)