THE SAADS ARE COMING

The leaves are changing, the temp is cooler and no matter what, I can feel the weight coming on. Right now I am so depressed because this time of the year is the worst for me. No matter how hard or how much I work out my weight just goes up and up:sad:

I've talked with a nurse and she indicated that my weight problem may be caused by my depression. Anyone else have this problem?:embarassed: I hope that I am not alone, there must be someone else out there who has the same problem. I am so depressed right now to the point that it has effected my personal relationship.:angry: I have made a doctor's appointment and may change doctors. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:wink:

Replies

• The leaves are changing, the temp is cooler and no matter what, I can feel the weight coming on. Right now I am so depressed because this time of the year is the worst for me. No matter how hard or how much I work out my weight just goes up and up:sad:

I've talked with a nurse and she indicated that my weight problem may be caused by my depression. Anyone else have this problem?:embarassed: I hope that I am not alone, there must be someone else out there who has the same problem. I am so depressed right now to the point that it has effected my personal relationship.:angry: I have made a doctor's appointment and may change doctors. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:wink:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    This may not be the popular choice....skin damage/cancer vs depression....

BUT some people who have mentioned they have this same issue, use tanning beds during the colder months. Not sure how often but they said that it helped them to deal with it.

Again, not sure if that's a route you want to take but it's an option.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    I gain weight at times of extreme stress and emotional instability. I think a lot of people do. Even my usually trim husband, who has been dealing with a LOT of job stress, has been packing on the pounds.

I'm not a doctor by any means, but I would say to focus on making yourself happy and less on your weight. If you enjoy your workout, the more likely you'll feel good. Which will naturally rain over into the rest of your life. There really isn't much I know about SAAD, but chin up sweetie! You can survive this. :flowerforyou:
  • I do not have this problem as I love fall and winter but I have used a tanning bed to bansish the winter blues before and I must say that it definately worked for me! Try going twice a week throughout the winter. I bet you will see a marked improvement. Also, if tanning beds are not an option- or you would not like to go that route for health reasons, I work for an electrical contractor and KNOW that there are lamps out there to combat SAAD. :smile:
  • I am right there with you on this one... It sucks. I get sad, mad, frustrated, fat, depressed... You name it, I suffer from it. I am also one of those people who visits the tanning bed during this time and let me tell you... It's worth the risk of skin cancer. I don't go for very long, about 5-10 minutes 3 times a week and I can really tell the difference. I can tell when I haven't been in a while and so can everyone else around me. It gets to the point where my family suggests I go tanning, and my mom (who's a nurse and very anti-tanning beds and artificial sunlight) is the biggest advocate for this. It's definitely worth looking into. At least it was for me... :smile:
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    I've talked with a nurse and she indicated that my weight problem may be caused by my depression. Anyone else have this problem?:embarassed: I hope that I am not alone, there must be someone else out there who has the same problem.

No, dear, you are not alone! Noooo. How can you ever think that? :grumble: *hugs*

I've noticed that when I get less sleep I'm more negative. So I'm trying to get to bed at an appropriate time and stress less about falling asleep (I think I've overcome that phase).

Try to enjoy the little things in life. OK, the days are smaller and the temperatures are lower, but there sure is something out there each single day to bring the smile on our faces. Try defeat laziness and get out there to do something! Exercise or just go out. I know it's hard to talk to your partner about some things and get all :embarassed: , but then just tell him to hug you.

Plus, you always have us :wink: . Lots of people here, human all of us - bad moods, sad, worried: you name it, you have it here. We're just stubborn enough not to give up, right people?

We care! :flowerforyou:
  • You should look into "happy lights" they are lights that you can buy (fred meyers sells them) and put into your house fixtures, or buy a lamp for the office and put it in there.... they work great, they give off the same light in tanning beds, but it is not damaging to your health... actually alot of doctors recommend it ... try it out :flowerforyou:
  • I live in the Pacific Northwest and have heard of alot of people having that issue. Myself, I love Fall and Winter. I actually slim down. I dont enjoy the heat and tend not to exercise in the summer at all. Maybe it is because I have lived here all my life and 90% of the year it is cold or raining.

Exercise is actually supposed to help alot with depression. I know that it is hard to get yourself to think that way when you are in this state of mind but if you can push yourself to conquer your SAAD with some time at the gym, it might help!

Good Luck getting through this period of time!
    :flowerforyou:

Amy
  • Thank you. Your positive outlook really helps, especially today. I guess I feel so down because it seems that no matter what I do, eat less, work out harder, drink more H20, the weight just continues. It seems that the more I worry about my weight, the more weight I gain.:noway and being in a relationship with an individual who has little to no faith in what you tell them, or only says that I'm doing enough, doesn't help.:angry: Well, I'm not giving up and I am moving on with my life. I will find a doctor who will help me through this and having the support from people like you, will keep me going. I've explained to my current doctor that I do suffer from SAAD and it is very real. He only tells me that I need to eat less, work out more. If I work out any more I will at seven days a week:ohwell: . I am very tired and very frustrated.:cry: I will walk in the park today for 90 minutes. Being with nature helps me to bring things back into perspective. I hope that I did not bring you down, that was not my intention. Being middle age is not an issue but going through menopause is.:blushing:

Thanks again for your help and support.
  • You are right about the lights. I do better when I am in the sunlight. I will look for brighter lights.

Thanks for the information.:flowerforyou:
  • Thanks for sharing but if I lived where it is cold and raining most of the time, I would truly be depressed. I need the sun. Living in the mid-west I get all four seasons, which I do enjoy. :drinker:
    I work out all year long but it seems that during the fall and winter seasons are my struggle.:wink:

Thanks for your suggetions and all the best to you:smile:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    You should look into "happy lights" they are lights that you can buy (fred meyers sells them) and put into your house fixtures, or buy a lamp for the office and put it in there.... they work great, they give off the same light in tanning beds, but it is not damaging to your health... actually alot of doctors recommend it ... try it out :flowerforyou:
    I am in the Pacific Northwest and have heard the lights help tremendously. I also understand some are anti-tanning beds, but they only tan the top layers of skin and don't go as deep as the sun's rays. Therefore it has been assumed that the cancer risk is much lower and yet you still get the feel-good vibes.
  • My Mom has a similar light, the doc wants her to have at least 15-20minutes of day under this lamp. I guess it helps during the winter when you can't get out into the sunlight. I will have to call her and ask her what the lamp is. I think it's the same type of bulb as a grow bulb for plants.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    I hope that I did not bring you down, that was not my intention.

Heh, I think I've heard this line somewhere. Ah, wait, it was me saying it! :angry: You have not upset us and you are not the cause of all evil in this world. And people don't see you with the same eyes as you do. Just give them a chance to see the real you :wink: .
    being in a relationship with an individual who has little to no faith in what you tell them, or only says that I'm doing enough, doesn't help.:angry:

Don't take this necessarily as an advice to stick with the guy, but men sometimes have trouble with saying the words you need to hear. Even when they have good intentions, they just say it all the way round :).

As for weight - be honest about what you eat and log it all here. You have to accept the defeats and keep going, if you want to make a change. Take it every day at a time, as Tam says. Almost everyone here has been on a plateau. Just start anew. A hundred times, if you have to! :flowerforyou:

Good luck and be confident in yourself! You're a winner!
  • The sun does work for me and I wear protection while I'm in the sun.

Thanks for sharing.:smooched:
  • Sounds like your mom may have the answer. Thanks for sharing:happy:
  • Stress is a major factor for me during this time of time of the year. Lately I've been under a lot of stress, A LOT OF STRESS. My blood pressure is high, with meds and I work out to help lower the stress. Well I will get through this.

Thanks for your support.:wink:
  • Y'AL GOING TO MAKE ME CRY. :sad: I've felt nothing but positive feeling for all who responded.

There is a saying - NO ONE IS WORTH YOUR TEARS AND THOSE WHO ARE WILL NEVER MAKE YOU CRY.

I AM A STRONG AND BEAUTIFUL WOMAN WITH MANY ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN MY LIFE AND NO ONE, NO ONE CAN EVER TAKE THEM FROM ME. MY WEIGHT DOES NOT DEFINE ME, AND NOW IS THE TIME FOR ME TO LOVE ME, FOR ME.:heart:

Thank you to all my friends for their love and support. Now, I'm off to walk 4 miles in the park.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member

I AM A STRONG AND BEAUTIFUL WOMAN WITH MANY ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN MY LIFE AND NO ONE, NO ONE CAN EVER TAKE THEM FROM ME. MY WEIGHT DOES NOT DEFINE ME, AND NOW IS THE TIME FOR ME TO LOVE ME, FOR ME.:heart:

Thank you to all my friends for their love and support. Now, I'm off to walk 4 miles in the park.
    That a girl! Proud of you!!!! :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: