High protein breakfast ideas

Options
LadyKT
LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
Hi all -

What are some good high protein breakfast ideas, other than egg whites? I find if i eat egg whites continuously in a week, i grow sick of them very quickly and never want to see another egg again! Need some ideas other than eggs. Thanks!

Replies

• forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    How about a smoothie with a scoop of protein powder?

I like banana or a mixed berry one.
  • Allison9
    Options
    cottage cheese : )
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Plain, nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with berries, nuts, even a scoop of protein powder.
    Protein shakes made with yogurt, milk, and protein powder.
    Steel cut oats with berries
    One hard boiled egg, a piece of high fiber whole grain toast, and a piece of fruit
    Cottage cheese with fruit mixed in (my fave is pineapple)
    Whole grain (high fiber) english muffin sandwich with turkey sausage and a piece of low fat cheese

HTH!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    who says you have to eat bfast foods for bfrast??? Have some turkey with some veggies :)
  • ccrossland
    ccrossland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wife got me to try this and I find it pretty good. It is going the seed and pulses route. Start with jumbo oats in a bowl and add some apple juice. Do this the night before and allow them to soak overnight. In the morning add dried fruit, nuts etc. This is the basics. Now to increase the protein level you can add Quinoa flakes or puffed Quinoa. You can also add Chia seeds:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/chia-seeds-side-effects.html

Both Quinoa and Cia seeds are apparently whole proteins which means that they contain full combinations of amino acids that you body can turn into body tissue.

You can also add flax seeds. But I think that it might be best with Chia and Flax to grind them in a coffee grinder or it will require alot of chewing.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    What is protein powder and does it keep you full up like actually eating protein? the last thing i want is to take a suppliment thats gonna bulk me up!!

Im looking into a low carb high protein diet but what can you snack on that curbs the mid meals hunger?
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If it's just the plain egg whites that are boring you, try adding some lean breakfast meats - I like the turkey sausage links or a thick slice of deli ham with an over-easy egg on top. Or try one of those whole wheat mini bagels with a couple of turkey sausage links and maybe a little bit of egg white for your own breakfast bagel version.

Target has some high protein cereal by Archer Farms and while it can't compete with the protein density of meats and egg whites, it has a good amount for a cereal.
  • kate205gti
    kate205gti Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i just put protein powder in my porridge - keeps me full for a few hours :) you can get low carb protein powder too
  • LadyKT
    Options
    Thanks all for the help! I should mention also that i'm terribly picky - i don't like cottage cheese, plain yogurt, plain oats, quinoa, etc. So i guess the protein shake with some strawberries might be my best option! The protein powder that I use is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard - Natural Whey. As far as I can tell, it won't "bulk you up". A scoop has 24 gm protein and 130 calories.
  • LadyKT
    Options
    who says you have to eat bfast foods for bfrast??? Have some turkey with some veggies :)

Ooooh good idea! I guess i don't like breakfast proteins hehe.
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Im looking into a low carb high protein diet but what can you snack on that curbs the mid meals hunger?
    Meatballs! Add spices as desired, for example taco seasoning (Mexican), oregano and garlic (Mediterranean), curry and chili (Asian inspired) - or get the Jeanne-O ground turkey that already has Italian or Mexican flavors in it. They are very portable, they last several days, can be eaten hot or cold and on the go.
    One golf ball sized meatball made of lean ground turkey or beef has about 50 calories, 5 grams of protein and it is very filling and tasty.
  • sarah13f
    sarah13f Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I did a high protein low carb diet my favourite breakfast was 4 slices streaky bacon cut up with half a punnet of sliced button mushrooms, a small sliced brown onion, fry all of this in a pan for four - five mins on a low heat, you do not need to add any oil as the bacon gives off a small amount of fat, add a squeze of lemon juice and chopped fresh parsley just before serving and serve with a large tablespoon of egg mayonnaise. Really filling, delicious and only takes five minutes to prepare.
  • MicaB7
    Options
    Thanks all for the help! I should mention also that i'm terribly picky - i don't like cottage cheese, plain yogurt, plain oats, quinoa, etc. So i guess the protein shake with some strawberries might be my best option! The protein powder that I use is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard - Natural Whey. As far as I can tell, it won't "bulk you up". A scoop has 24 gm protein and 130 calories.

OMG! I am so happy you started this topic and then followed up with this post! I am in the same boat.....I don't like most dairy products (except for the ones that contributed to my weight gain....won't mention them because they're BAD!!!:devil: )

I'd love to try the Optimum Nutrition protein powder you mentioned. Any idea where I can find it?

Best of luck to you all!
  • LadyKT
    Options

I'd love to try the Optimum Nutrition protein powder you mentioned. Any idea where I can find it?

Best of luck to you all!

Vitamin Shoppe :)
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    My most favorite: Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal mixed with Greek Yogurt. But watch out or you could become an addict like me! 1/2 cup of each=17 grams of protein.

I 1000% agree with this ^^^^ Its my absolute fav! :love: Since you don't like plain greek yogurt (i'm not crazy about it either), try blueberry or strawberry with the Kashi Go Lean Crunch .... Just be sure you are getting GREEK yogurt because there is a lot more protein in greek yogurt than in regular yogurt.

I am a picky eater too -- the Morningstar Farms "sausage" links (veggie) are pretty good, but other than that, i don't do any of the breakfast meats. I havent eaten eggs in about 33 years and was *THIS* close to trying some Egg Beaters the other day, but i gagged at the thought and almost broke into tears.... I am going to try them... i really am. Why must eggs smell so disgusting though? :sad:
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    South Beach Diet has great ideas for protein breakfast, maybe you can check it out at the library. Also this website has a few ideas

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Eat-More-to-Lose-Weight.htm?cmp=18-989&utm_source=sendible&utm_medium=feed
  • aprildh
    Options
    I was not a big yogurt eater, but I love Greek Yogurt. I started with the vanilla flavor, but am now able to eat the plain. There is 15-17 grams of protein in a little 5oz. container. I add berries and the brand "bear naked" fruit and nut granola or instead of granola, wal-nuts with just a touch of honey or agave syrup on top. It is delicious.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

OMG! I am so happy you started this topic and then followed up with this post! I am in the same boat.....I don't like most dairy products (except for the ones that contributed to my weight gain....won't mention them because they're BAD!!!:devil: )

Best of luck to you all!

Amazon.com has it too. I got free shipping on it, also.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You should eat your protein, not drink a protein shake. Shakes are last resorts. The process of chewing, swallowing, real food is important overall. Add some meat/poultry/fish to breakfast.
  • S0LYMAR
    Options
    I haven't really acquired the taste for for egg whites or egg beaters so I microwave one egg covered in the microwave for one minute with a light English muffin. you could add a slice of fat free cheese if you want as well. That breakfast fills me up for hours.