Is Turbo Fire enough? Should I add weight training?

Options
I am doing Turbo Fire and following the schedule. Because of the arm work/squats during the workouts, is there enough strength training, or should I add strength training? I keep reading things that say if you don't add some weights, you are more likely to lose muscle mass if you are just doing cardio.

If the answer is "yes" I should add weights, what body parts on what days should I do them? Is doing arms once per week enough arm work? I was thinking I could add arms on Mon, legs on Wed?

Replies

• asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    Some people do a Hybrid schedule with ChaLean Xtreme or P90X. If you look in your TUrn up the burn book, that should give you some ideas.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm exploring this myself. I'm doing the TurboFire thing too... When I return from vacation first week in March, I'm going to upgrade that to the ChaLEAN Extreme/TurboFire Hybrid to incorporate some strength training back into the routine.

I'm also looking into getting the weighted gloves to help with the arms during TurboFire and cardio in general. :-)
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    ChalEAN Extreme is awesome I am doing it now!!! My family and friends are noticing my muscles---Gotta love that
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot of weight to loose, I would just do the Turbo Fire for awhile, I don't know how long you have been doing it. Get all that cardio in, and follow that schedule because you do have days with that that you "strength train" and once you have done 60 days or so, then I would do the ChaLean Extreme Hybrid with it. I have been doing TF for over a few months now, and I'm starting the ChaLean Extreme, and I love it!!
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Kimi - I DO have a lot of weight to lose. I weigh 245, need to lose 80 just to get to the high end of what "they" recommend for my height and age. :) I am thinking, isn't cardio with 80 lbs extra weight on your body probably a mix of cardio and weight training?

Plus - I have huge calves and do NOT want them to get any bigger. :/
  • hardybelle83
    Options
    Don't wait to strength train!! Muscle burns fat! Even if you don't start doing the ChaLEAN Extreme / TurboFire hybrid (I'm doing that now and LOVE it!!), you can always set up a routine for yourself using weights or a resistance band. Lifting weights is so important!! It will increase your metabolism, make cardio easier, and when you lose the weight, you'll generally be more toned with less loose skin to worry about.
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Ok - so how do I add weights to my Turbo Fire schedule without having to use Chalene Extreme - I don't have those DVDs.

What is the proper way to do weight training with a cardio schedule? I have to do daily cardio... I am addicted... LOL

Could I do arms on Mon, legs on Wed each week? Would that be enough?
  • hardybelle83
    Options
    I definitely DO recommend the ChaLEAN videos, but if you aren't ready to make that investment, what you suggested would definitely work!

I lift Monday/Wednesday/Friday .. the circuits are about 35-40 minutes. Then I usually add a HIIT workout from TurboFire.
    Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday I do the Fire workouts and ab work.
    Sundays I either rest or do yoga/stretching.

If you are going to set up the strength training workouts on your own, I recommend going to fitnessmagazine.com and then going to their "Workouts" section -- they have a ton of workout routines that you can print out, or view a video for. These require little to no equipment. I would start out doing these at least twice a week and then work your way up to three times. Add in some pushups for a well-rounded routine.. pushups do so much for you!!

Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm happy to help.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Don't wait to strength train!! Muscle burns fat! Even if you don't start doing the ChaLEAN Extreme / TurboFire hybrid (I'm doing that now and LOVE it!!), you can always set up a routine for yourself using weights or a resistance band. Lifting weights is so important!! It will increase your metabolism, make cardio easier, and when you lose the weight, you'll generally be more toned with less loose skin to worry about.

^ This!! I to started at 245 I lost some weight at first with just cardio but once I started adding weights the fat loss doubled!! NOT KIDDING!! Weight training is a must no matter how much fat you want to lose!! I also do Turbo Fire and love it but I do my own weight training program, don't be afraid to lift heavy and push yourself, women just don't have enough testosterone to bulk up like men. Muscle takes less space then fat so I bet once you start toning and really losing fat those calves will won't be so big!! Good Luck!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Add weightlifting.
  • SolidGoaled
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is great advice, and exactly what I wanted to know. :)

About the fat loss "doubling"... I am afraid I am losing weight too fast - in the past before I knew better, this would have thrilled me, but now, I want to do this FOR LIFE. I don't want to drop 20 lbs in 3 weeks and then be stuck at 220 for a month. BTDT! So, if I lose it fast at first, is that ok? (I got on the scale today just for kicks, and I am already over 2 lbs for the week, and my week ends on Sunday. :/

I AM eating my exersise calories, and netting about 1400 per day. So, can I safely assume that if I lose a bunch these first couple weeks, that I WON'T go into starvation mode? Thanks....
  • hardybelle83
    Options
    The weight may come off quickly at first, but it will slow down to a healthy loss of 1-2 lbs per week.
    Sometimes, adding weightlifting may show a temporary "gain" on the scale -- don't let that discourage you!! When you lift weights, your muscles retain water & lactic acid to repair themselves - that is where the weight comes from. Just drink LOTS of water, stretch throroughly after your workouts & that "weight" will quickly disappear.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Add weightlifting as it is the true fat burner. The more I read the more I question the hours I spend doing cardio (although I do intense cardio like Insanity) and start to think that I should go to more high intensity weight training and some interval training. I have not made the switch yet, but as I research I find more evidence that weight training will burn fat better than the lower intensity aerobics most people do.