KFC Calories V Salad Calories

Options
Ive just eaten a delicious mozerella salad for lunch only to discover it has the same amount of calories as my KFC Zinger meal i had yesterday.

What is so frustrating about this is i know that the salad is 100 times better for me, lovely cherry tomatos, plenty calcium from the cheese, some pasta spirals so give me the carbs i need for my workout and some toasted almonds to keep my skin and hair and nails looking lovely!

The KFC was tasty but the white bread, saturated fat laden fried chicken and no nutritional value fries have no goodness in them! They left me feeling hungry an hour later.

So its common sense i guess that salad is better than KFC but what really annoys me is ive had a delicious and nutricious salad for lunch and im left with hardly any calroies left for dinner!

This doesnt seem fair somehow!! :S

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I never order a salad unless it is strictly a garden salad--meaning, nothing but veggies, no cheese, no croutons, no meat, no pasta. Oh, and I always bring my own salad dressing.
  • elassey
    elassey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely not fair!! :-) Maybe you could just plan ahead when you are going to try a salad like that so you have more calories left over for dinner, or you could have a smaller portion? Then you could still have the yummy salad, just not as much?

Just some ideas!!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Sadly, unless you have personally made the salad on your own, it is hard to trust store or restaurant salads. There is a lot of extras added to it that seem harmless. The other is the cheese that is on the salads. I recently learned that 1oz of Mozzarella cheese is 80 calories. Now, 1oz isn't a lot at all, so if you have three ounces of cheese, that would land you with 240 calories just from the cheese.

Always look at whats in the salad aside from the awesome veggies and also make sure the dressing you have on there works within your calorie choice. If not, ask for it on the side or bring your own and what not.

The salad gods do not make it easy....
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Salad is a fallacy. Lettuce has next to no nutrients and the only way to make it edible is to add loads of calorie-laden extras. Save yourself money and calories by making some yummy box food - hell, you can throw your absolute favourite dressings on some couscous or rice, be a ton under you KFC/salad lunch calories and be satiated.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I love salad! I just find that I have to be very careful with them. There's a restaurant that makes a killer cobb salad near my house, but I'm pretty sure it has as many calories as the pulled pork covered poutine!

I tend to use salsa instead of dressing, if I can. Generally lower in calories.
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The one thing I've noticed about eating a healthy higher calorie meal compared to a fast food high cal meal is my overall energy/fullness for the day. If I ate a huge healthy salad with protein for lunch, chances are that around dinner time I'm not going to want another large meal. But if I had a KFC sandwich, you can almost guarantee that by dinner time I'd be scrounging around for snacks WHILE my dinner was cooking...

Just try to remember that the veggies, protein and carbs you took in were filling and healthy, compared to KFC...or just workout an extra hour to get enough calories for dinner :tongue:
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cheese "breaks" many people. Mozzarella is around 300cal for 100g and it would be easy to fit that in a salad. Add olive oil dressing.........

Move away from the cheese board.....

Hidden cals are every where. I used to eat bagged microwavable kippers, then I realised, readin gthe lable, that with the butter etc they were around 250 cals a 100g!. Only fresh for me now at half the cal rating.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    When ordering a salad, it's best to order it in such a way where you can add the items to the salad yourself. For example, you should order a salad with all of the dressings on the side. When you see how much salad dressing the restaurants usually give you, you probably will be a little shocked.
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The one thing I've noticed about eating a healthy higher calorie meal compared to a fast food high cal meal is my overall energy/fullness for the day. If I ate a huge healthy salad with protein for lunch, chances are that around dinner time I'm not going to want another large meal. But if I had a KFC sandwich, you can almost guarantee that by dinner time I'd be scrounging around for snacks WHILE my dinner was cooking...

Just try to remember that the veggies, protein and carbs you took in were filling and healthy, compared to KFC...or just workout an extra hour to get enough calories for dinner :tongue:

This is exactly what i mean, i aggree totally. I felt full and satisfied with my salad, was wide awake for the rest of the afternoon and enjoyed a nice run when i got home. After a KFC you feel hungry really soon and then you have the fast food guilt! Not good!

My point is i think calorie counting like this can sometimes send people on the wrong track and maybe sway them towards the kfc as it has the same calorie content so why the hell not. Ok there was cals and carbs in my salad but these are the cals and carb my diet really needs. Like Avocados, i love them but some people are scared of them as they are high fat! And wholewheat past has more calories than regular white pasta but wholewheat has so much more goodness. Hopefully MFP is providing people with the knowledge to make the right choices! :)