I need advice on exercising!

Options
I just began doing this (again) a little over three weeks ago, and I'm currently at 285ish. I have a bad left knee from popping the kneecap out of place when I was 19 and slipped on some snow. My right knee isn't so great either, from having to carry this weight and make up for the left knee a lot of times. It doesn't hurt, but I've noticed it creaks really bad when working out. It sounds like cartilage crackling.

I'd planned on walking three or four times a week to start out with, but when we got snowed in, I had to pull out a hundred year old exercise video and use it. It is an hour long, and I can only do about half, and doing it is what causes the freaky noises that come from my right knee.

So, I netflixed Jillian Michael's Shred since I've heard so much about it. I was going to buy it from Amazon, but decided I better find out if I can use it yet or not. The other decision I have to make is whether to join the local Curves or not. I've been a member before, and absolutely loved it, but the owners have changed and I'm unsure if it will be worth the money this time around. Should I just use walking and exercise videos? Or should I use those AND Curves?

I need advice about how to integrate exercise into my routine, how much, when, what kind. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide what works for you at each phase. If you find something you like, try it. If you can't make it all the way through the first time, that's ok. At least you tried and got some activity in. Completing part of the work out is better than doing nothing.

Personally I like Turbo Jam and The Firm. TJ is fun with great music and the original set comes with lost of different work outs in different lengths so I can do a short one if I need to.

Good luck!
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Try a pilates video off of netflix until you can get outside again. I would join the gym. If not curves, maybe one with a pool indoors -- swimming is awesome cardio. Circuit training at curves is awesome too. Just take it slow -- maybe try a knee wrap from Walgreens that will just hold everything in place while you work out.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Hi why dont you try weights and a cross trainer or exercise bike, all low / no impact...
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I know not everyone has funds or room for a stationary bike, but when I started that's what I used. I really loved it, and it's SO easy on your knees. Elliptical machines are also supposed to be very good and low impact.

You certainly can use both Curves and another routine, the only limit is how much you want to do, and can do physically (and have time for). Exercising at home was always a little easier for me because it took up less time (didn't have to go out to a gym), and since I am super self-conscious about exercising in front of people, if I was exercising at home I could do it in privacy.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The more different things you do , the more your body does not know what's coming next. Think of hard working men who have big bellies. They are used to all that walking and lifting. Mixing it up is best . PDX90 uses that mentality.
  • 4Matt
    4Matt Posts: 26
    Options
    Each person is different. If your concerned about what exercises would be best for you with you knee I'd suggest going to a doctor. Let him/her know your concerns & let them help you figure out what is best for you.
    As far as Curves, I've never tried it. If you found it effective & a good support you may want to try it again. Is there are trial period you could try out? Can you talk to them about checking it out before signing up to make sure it's something you want to pay for?
    Just a couple of thoughts. Hope it helped some.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    30 Day shred is not kind to people with bad knees :( If you liked curves, how about you go back to that... If you feel like you can do more after a few months of that, start doing the exercise videos too :)
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I just began doing this (again) a little over three weeks ago, and I'm currently at 285ish. I have a bad left knee from popping the kneecap out of place when I was 19 and slipped on some snow. My right knee isn't so great either, from having to carry this weight and make up for the left knee a lot of times. It doesn't hurt, but I've noticed it creaks really bad when working out. It sounds like cartilage crackling.

I'd planned on walking three or four times a week to start out with, but when we got snowed in, I had to pull out a hundred year old exercise video and use it. It is an hour long, and I can only do about half, and doing it is what causes the freaky noises that come from my right knee.

So, I netflixed Jillian Michael's Shred since I've heard so much about it. I was going to buy it from Amazon, but decided I better find out if I can use it yet or not. The other decision I have to make is whether to join the local Curves or not. I've been a member before, and absolutely loved it, but the owners have changed and I'm unsure if it will be worth the money this time around. Should I just use walking and exercise videos? Or should I use those AND Curves?

I need advice about how to integrate exercise into my routine, how much, when, what kind. Thanks in advance!

Try walk at Home with Leslie Sansone. I dislocated my left kneecap when I was 22 (14 years ago) so I feel ur pain there! I do the walk in my livingroom 3x a week and it's very low impact on the knees. If u can do a brisk walk around ur neighborhood, then u can do this in ur livingroom!
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm not sure JM's Shred is for you with a bad knee. There is a lot of jumping and squatting. I don't have bad knees and had to take a break from it because it was too much on my knees. I'd try something a little more low impact to get yourself started.
  • tonisteedley
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, but my personal experience is that it has taken a toll my knees. I use to be a runner until I got Plantar Fasciitis and my right knee started acting up. But a few of my other friends said that it hurt there knees as well. But I am sure everyone experiences things different. I even took 5 days off from that excercise video, and I started back yesterday and my knees hurt all over again. But she is good and usually produces great results. And honestly I am only 5'4 and 149 and this is darn tuff on my knees.
    Do you have like excercise fit tv on your cable? If you do ususally its in the cardio tab and it is free, so you can try it before you buy it. Or you can "youtube" it and take a look at some of it there.
    Hope everything works out for you
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    What about swimming?? Water aerobics or swimming laps.....really good work out and no impact on joints.
  • cjduckie
    cjduckie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi there, congrats for getting back into it :) Proud of you! Considering your "injuries" (not really sure what to call them) I'd suggest, if you can afford it, hiring a personal trainer for some sessions - that way he/she can guide you and get you going properly. I was spending at least 3hrs in the gym at least 4 times a week for my first two months of this journey and was getting NO results - apparently I was doing the wrong things... then I hired a trainer for some sessions and guidance based on my personal needs and the weight just peeled off since - I've lost 35lbs in the past 4 months.

Whatever you do, start slowly and be gentle with yourself - if you overdo it you'll only hurt yourself and set yourself back, and the danger with that is losing the motivation. Build gradually as your strength, stamina and fitness grows. It's a marathon, not a sprint :) Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • nozzero
    nozzero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My knees are not great either but I have found by taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin (joint health vitamin) helps. Also as you exercise don't give up keep trying and do what you can. As experts say exercise should not hurt, try doing stretching exercises and then your tapes. With the warmer weather coming walking is an excellent way to burn those unwanted calories. It is better to do something than nothing. As the weight starts coming off your knees will feel much better. Also I eat lean cuisines that helps control how much I eat and if I truly follow this plan and stay under my calorie goal I do lose weight. Good Luck and I hope you start seeing a change soon. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE UP.
  • mmcgille
    mmcgille Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    do what works best for you. I find that despite my good intentions to workout on my own at home with a video, I do WAY better when I go to the gym and have other people around me. It gives me extra motivation to try my hardest and not give up when I'd rather be sitting on the couch at home! I have bad knees, too, and the elliptical works great - very low impact.
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi there! This is just my opinion. But given the condition of your knees id hold off on anything to aggresive. I wouldnt want you to hurt yourself and then not be able to do anything at all. Start small and then build yourself up :)

Walking is a great way to burn cals and lose weight. It will strengthen you as well for more aggressive stuff down the road. If I were you, I would stick with that and then by summer after you have lost some weight you could add some videos in or join curves. Just make sure you keep your self comfortable.

I think you are going to do great because you sound very determined despite your knee problems and thats great! Im proud of you!!!

Add me as a friend! I love to motivate and comment on peoples progress :) Hope this helps!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    The more options you have the better. That being said, a typical gym isn't going to offer a ton of low-impact options. Are there any health clubs around with you pools and water aerobics? I've never done them, but I know several women who have and they say that it's an AMAZING workout and very low impact. Bonus... find one with a meditation pool (about 80 degrees) and let yourself float and relax afterwards!
  • jenipaige1
    Options
    If you are able to go to a doctor, that is the first thing I suggest. Those are the experts. But I have a bad back and knees too and one thing that I love is resistance bands. You can use them any time. If it's nice outside take them out, or while watching TV, cooking dinner, etc. As far as walking I'm up to almost two miles a day but I started off slow. Just a around the block for a week, then increasing as much as was comfortable. I also can not stress to you enough...STRETCH!!! and do it often, every time I get out of a chair, before and after walking, while cooking, anytime. My body in a short period of time feels so much better, it's like night and day!
    I hope this helps you!!! Good luck!!!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As others have said, swimming and biking are both very knee-friendly. I injured my knees doing high-impact workouts, and was advised to try spin classes, since biking will strengthen the muscles that support your knees. I found that really good advice-- if you get bored doing a stationary bike at the gym, go to a spin class-- they're really challenging at first, but a great way to get a tough workout if you're not able to run because of knee problems.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I found fitness classes at a gym the best option. If you talk to the instructors about your knees before you start the class, they can help you modify the exercises. For example, there's a lady in my Zumba class with joint problems and she just doesn't do all the jumping that we do. She's still getting a great workout in! I'd recommend joining a gym where you have access to trainers. They'll be able to devise a program for you that is tailored to your needs.
  • LauraW116
    Options
    When no snow Walk as much as you can, and when using any dvds Just do exercises at your pace . you dont have to be excatly like the person in the video as long as you do it in good form and as many reps as u can that wont hurt you. Also maybe a trainer would help you to find exercises that would be best for you and ur knee. take it easy you dont want to hurt your self too bad then u wont be able to do much at all