C25K Program Questions

Options
Good Morning....

Anyone familiar with the C25K program...I have downloaded the app for my ipod and have been reading the details, when it recommends only doing the program 3x a week with rest days between does that mean no other exercise or just no other running?? I'm sorry if this is an ubber dumb question.....I'm hoping to start the program this weekend but I love water aerobics 2x a week and want to know how my overall work outs will have to be changed. Thanks in advance for the tips!!!

Replies

• cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I've been doing the program for five weeks. In the beginning I didn't do any other exercise. But now I'm doing Firm DVDs as cross-training. I think they help - especially the long stretching sections.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    you can do other exercices, just take a day off between runs. Perso I do 30DS and swimming also
  • gamommy2
    gamommy2 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have one more run to finally complete C25k. I did double up on some runs in the early weeks and then I tried doing step aerobics in between. I had to quit step. I noticed my hips hurting. Since then I try to alternate with other exercises that are not just legs and haven't had any pain. If you can handle it go for it, if you have to adjust your body will let you know.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do the C25k three times a week - the other days I swim/bike or do a video and on one day I go for a nice long/extended walk (that's my rest day-it's just a relaxed walk to regroup)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do other exercise! Some strength or toning or even just walking or cycling! Just make sure to take a complete rest day 1x a week and about 1x a month make room for a 2-rest-day week- a little rest goes a long way.
  • rshunk
    rshunk Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do a similar program, c210k, it is 13 weeks and starts you out slower so that worked better for me. Anyway, I absolutely do other workouts on the days I don't run! Often I will do my run and then some strength training on the same days then other workouts in between that have both cardio and strength.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Take it easy on your other days. I love Aqua Aerobics! I find if I'm particularly sore, taking it easy in Aqua actually helps ease my sore muscles. So long as you don't overdo it, I'm sure you'll be fine! Excellent information from a previous poster about rest days.
  • bhealthy03
    Options
    I'm doing the C25K on my ipod touch (love it!). I usually do my runs Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and then do strength training via Jillian Michael's DVD or weights at the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays. But I've also used Tuesdays and Thursdays as my rest days and then do fun stuff like zumba and spinning on the weekends. I agree with how the program is structured -- taking breaks between runs is very helpful!

Keep me posted on your progress! I've been on the first week of the program for the last 2 weeks because I'm scared to advance, but I'll have to sooner or later. lol Good luck!!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    oh btw.. excellent idea on the coach reward. that was mine last year when i quit smoking.