Chinese tonight - ideas please

Options
Hi all

Going to a friends house for chinese take out tonight.

Can anyone advise what from the menu isn't going to ruin my calories?

I normally get pad thai noodles with vegetables from this particular place (it's more a pan-asian place than just chinese :tongue: ), but I was surprised how high they are in calories.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Anne

Replies

• JulsDiane
    JulsDiane Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Almost all have a steamed plate; steamed veggies, shrimp, white rice...stuff like that. I know not hugely exciting but I find it pretty tasty ;)
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    I'm going out for Chinese tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it! I'm going to use tomorrow as my 'cheat day' and just enjoy it. However, I am going to make sure I don't over eat by stopping once I feel full and only having a handful of prawn crackers so the damage isn't astronomical. :smile:

In terms of your takeaway, is boiled rice the better option for you if your trying to lessen the calories and maybe a chicken dish with veggies?
  • sabrehunter
    sabrehunter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had Chinese tonight and just used it as a cheat day for the month - we all shared meals so just had little bits of everything,
    which in the end would have been more than a normal meal for me calorie wise, but the portions were relatively small, instead of a big plate full like I would have had previously

i would say try to stay away from anything deep fried
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go out I always get the vegetable lo mein:)
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    When I have Chinese, I always use the1/2 plate method--1/2 the plate veggies. Maybe you could order steamed veggie, then use the other stuff like sidedishes. Don't forget the water to push all the sodium!!
  • monicaclem
    Options
    When I was on weight watchers, the steamed vegetable dumplings were always a reasonable option. I would often order those with steamed chicken and mixed vegetables. I would have far less rice than what was in the container, and order a fat free white wine sauce on the side. You can also have steamed pork dumplings, just omit the rice to make up the difference in calories. I normally have 6 dumplings and the other half of my plate consists of maybe a 1/2 handful of rice and plentiful veggies and steamed chicken!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    bump: im off to chinese tonight: great thread
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    The other night my husband decided he wanted Chinese takeout. I have no real suggestions in terms of giving you the satisfaction of eating something you normally adore and avoiding all the pitfalls of the genre of cuisine ..like the fact that it's a sodium bomb etc.
    I ended up eating my own steamed broccoli and rice with Sriracha lol ;) I'm content to eat something like that however.
  • c_turner
    Options
    Chicken/ King Prawn in black bean is not too bad, my Grandad can have this and he is diabetic. Chow mein's are not that bad either. Overall chinese is bad but if you go to the gym in the morning it shoulfd not be too bad. I had Dominos last night but i went to the gym in the morning and im going tonight and tomorrow morning to make up for it. You have to treat yourself every once in a while.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I eat chinese food once a week, while NOT going off my meal plan. Here's how:

1. Avoid anything deep fried (of course). Eggrolls, crispy noodles, shrimp toast, etc are not good ideas.
    2. Noodles and wonton wrappers are calorie wasters (in my opinion). Why eat a portion of noodles when you can have all that lovely protein and veggies instead.
    3. Steamed rice is okay but measure out how much you're eating. My hubby is now trained to just pull out the measuring cups when he's setting the table for me. I measure all 'hard carbs' (rice, pasta, potatoes, etc). 'Soft carbs' such as green veggies and carrots are just about limitless.
    4. Get the sauce on the side!! You'll be surprised how many restaurants are willing to do this. Then YOU can control how much sauce you consume. Oftentimes, I don't actually pour the sauce over the food. I dip my fork (or chopsticks) and then pick up the food with the coated utensil. You still get great sauce taste without it being soaked through. And you end up eating around 1/8 to 1/4 of what they give you.
    5. Chinese soups are GREAT!! However, no fried noodles.
    6 Don't be surprised when you 'gain' weight the next day. You probably consumed a lot of sodium, so are having water retention. <lol> Trust me, it goes away over the next 24-48 hrs.

You may seem like a picky eater doing it this way, but you'll be a smart eater in the end.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I too eat Chinese food for lunch about once every two weeks. You can find plenty of low calorie meals but the sodium will be the killer. And if you're going for dinner then you have to be even more concerned because the dinner portion sizes are easily double the size of a lunch portion.

I usually end up getting either beef, chicken or shrimp Hunan style. This should only include meat, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, baby corn, sauce, and rice. If you get the sauce on the side and steamed white rice then this meal is really not too bad at all. Sometimes I also eat Chicken Chow Mein but you have to be careful with that because it has chicken broth and soy sauce so the sodium is sky high. If you get rice with your meal then stick to steamed white rice over fried rice. No egg rolls or spring rolls. None of those delicious fried noodles with the spicy mustard or duck sauce.
  • i_can
    i_can Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm a fan of Ma Po Tufu :)
    Shrimp/seafood dishes and things off the vegetarian side of the menu are a good place to start looking for 'lesser evils'

Whatever you order, here are two tips:
    1. Use chopsticks. If you aren't food with them, this will slow down your eating so you can enjoy it more. Even if you are good with them, you'll get less of the salty/fatty/sugary sauce this way.
    2. Go spicy! Turn up the flavor so you get more taste out of less food. Plus, if, like me, you aren' t so good with spice, you'll end up eating more slowly and drinking a gallon of water (to help offset the sodium).
  • jenntski
    Options
    Steamed chicken and brown rice...soups is great too! Check out this great website and good luck!

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/chinese.html
  • Annerea
    Annerea Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys!! No fried rice for me - but that's easy, since I don't like eggs!! I'll be sensible, then hit the gym in the morning. Have a great weekend