Should I add protein shake to fill my calories

Options
Okay so I'm confused and frustrated. I weighed in a couple days ago and was .2 lbs lighter than I am this morning. I didn't have anything to eat/drink before I weighed in both days. I have exercised all week and been under my calorie goal by a few hundred every day.

I know I shouldn't weigh more than once a week and really .2 isn't that big of a deal. I know most on here say I must net 1200 calories per day. My thinking was I come under my calories everyday during the week, so then on the weekend when I'm a thousand or 2 over it would all balance. Now I may be rethinking my strategy :smile:

I am going to try and start netting 1200 calories everyday and see what happens. My question is this.... should I add a protein shake into my diet to make it to 1200 calories? Or, should I fill my calories with other things. One important note is I only do cardio. I do not do any lifting, so would a protein shake still benefit me? Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• blondie_0506
    Options
    I would love to hear responses to this too!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    if you are going over on the weekends by more than a thousand calories, then you are certainly not make a healthy lifestyle change and you are cheating yourself.

Do not add calories that are not wholesome---no fillers and fluff-just to get the calories up there.

A protein shake is fine as long as it does not have sugars and tons of carbs in it as well.

The best option is to reach for nuts or some lean protein!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Weight fluctuates back and forth from day to day. That scale lies a lot because the body will retain water and lose water and do a million in one things to cause that scale to fluctuate. You'll know you've lost a bunch of weight when your clothes fit you like drapes.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    How does the balance of your nutrients look at the end of a day? Are you deficit in protein? If so, add the shake. But if you are low in carbs add fruit or low in fat add nuts (almonds). Defiantly get to your net calories (food - exercise) of 1200 a day!

Going over a THOUSAND on the weekends?!?!? Oh man, maybe you should focus here before worrying about protein shakes, try to plan on the weekends or get in a work out to compensate. Good luck.

Also, I was curious why don't you lift?
  • jljenkins
    Options
    I have started drinking the special k protein shakes for my breakfast just to keep from using all my cals before dinner time. I thought I would give it a try to see if it would keep me from getting hungry as often, but it's not really helped a whole lot, so if there are any other suggestions I would love to hear the answer to these protein shake questions.
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    have more fiber...with your protein <3
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You should eat the difference if possible. A shake only if you absolutely must. Yes everyone benefits from protein. Cardio, Weightlifters, runners, etc.

A protein shake after a workout would be an option since it serves a specific purpose at that time.
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Special K shakes and Slim Fast are relative low in protein, and way too high in carbs. I would not include them in an eating plan.

I agree with Aggie. Look into the balance of your nutrients each day, and add more of what you need. More protein will keep you energized over time, and will curb hunger.

If you want to have "weekends off," that's fine. Just remember that you don't want to go that far over your calorie goal. 300-500 extra healthy calories, maybe. Each person's body is different.

It's really important to get in your minimum number of calories per day, every day. If protein shakes will help with that, choose shakes that are much higher in protein and much lower in carbs. An off-the-shelf one that I use is EAS AdvantEdge. They come in French Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry, about $4 for a 4-pack at Walmart. They are 11 oz, and they have 110 calories, 17g of protein, 3 g of fat and 2-4g carbs depending on the flavor. They're not the best, but they're definitely better than Slim Fast or Special K. You can easily drink a couple of those and get in about 1/2 of the protein you need per day.