Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
Does any one have any advice on good, yet inexpensive Heart rate monitors?
I have never had one before and would also like to know how you feel it has affected/changed your workout?

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Mine is new and I've only used it twice but so far it seems to be working well and it was only about $40 on Amazon.

Timex T5G971 Unisex Sports Personal Heart Rate Monitor Watch
  • ssswalsh
    ssswalsh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Polar always has product that can do the job and won't break the bank. I use a monitor for all my workouts from treadmill, bike and strength training. the reason i use it during strength training is to keep my heart within a zone for optimum fat burn keeping a metabolic workout. Instead of a predetermined amount of time for a rest period between sets I let my heart rate tell me to get my butt back in gear. Plus it will let u know how many calories you have burned during your strength training.
  • jduplissey
    Options
    I got the very same one and have been using it for a week. I really like it and I'm finding that I'm burning much more calories than the estimates given on MyFitnessPal.com. Plus it lets me see when I'm working in my zone and when I'm really pushing myself or I need to step it up. This one has been simple to use, which is great because I did not want something with too many buttons that I wouldn't be able to remember the functions, etc. Hope that helps...thanks!
  • mlsmathias
    Options
    Plus it will let u know how many calories you have burned during your strength training.

I had just posted a question on calories while strength training a few days ago...Thank you!

There are so many to choose from, and I am a bit overwhelmed by them. I would like one that I can wear while cycling/spinning, but also during aerobics,(Chest band verses watch). I plan on starting the "30 day shred" Monday, I also love to ride my bike , it seems for some reason Cycling is not helping me as much as it use to in my workouts, so I thought the heart rate monitor may help me figure this out.
    Again...so many brands, price ranges so vast = overwhelmed

Thank you all for sharing your feed back!
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am really happy with my Polar FT40 I got a couple weeks back. I paid $159 I believe at Sports Authority. It has a chest strap which is said to have the most accurate read out compared to wrist and arm ones.

I love it because I know how many calories I am ACTUALLY burning compared to the LIEING Machines at the gym, which I have found to be off a good 60-100 calories HIGHER then I am actually burning... Some people experience machines that have a much higher difference, so regardless, I know how much I am burning....

Plus the Polar works with my gym equipment, so I dont have to hold on to the sensors, the machine reads my heart rate from my chest strap.