Shopping for New Clothes

Options
Hello and Happy Friday!!

I am wondering if/when you first went shopping for new (smaller) clothes. Was it at the 5lb mark? 10lbs? If so, how was your experience? I am asking because I am 18 lbs down as of today (Yeah!!), and basically what had happened is that I had gained 20 lbs over the fall, which resulted in my "normal" clothes being....well, tight. Now that the 18 lbs are gone (and never coming back) I am wondering if I dare go shopping and try on something smaller. My "normal" clothes are looking kinda baggy at this point, but I'm kind of apprehensive to pull that smaller size off the rack. Any of you ever felt like that, or am I just crazy? LOL

Anyway, I would love to hear some shopping stories! Congratulations to everyone here at MFP. We are all putting in the work and we will realize the benefits.

:wink:

Replies

• juniee111
    Options
    when I lost 15 pounds I went out and bought new tops a medium !! All my large were hanging on me so I got rid of all of them and bought like 7 tops ... I havent bought any jeans cause I want to lose more so I have been wearing jeggings.. But let me tell you it felt great to fit in a medium again!!! congrats to you!!
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I bought only what I needed to get by when I lost 60 pounds. I'm now up 20 from there so I'm almost starting over. :( but while I was losing it was motivating to go out and buy an item or two just as a pick me up kind of reward. Now, my goal is to get back into THOSE clothes. Four pounds down so far and getting closer!
  • tenessaa
    tenessaa Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've finally worked my way backwards through my closet and am having to buy new clothes. I've only been buying when I absolutely need to because I have a lot more to lose and don't want to spend money on a new wardrobe right now.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm four pounds from my goal of 25 pounds, but I'm holding off on adjusting my wardrobe just yet. I want to get to my goal weight and STAY there for a month, to prove to myself that it wasn't just a fluke, but a true lifestyle change. After I've been at 145 for a month then I'll go through my wardrobe and figure out what fits and what's worth altering. Only then will the major shopping begin!
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    After losing 40 lbs, I bought only the things I had to get to get by(due to the cost). I am now down 86 and I have an entire closet full of new clothes. I was married in October and a motivation for me was to buy an outfit 1 size smaller for the rehersal and I was able to get in that outfit by that date. I still have some of my old things, but I have gradually donated most of my larger clothing items because I took this journey 1 time before and kept the larger clothes and ended right back in them. Now I have to be accountable for my weight. If my current cloths are tight then I have to get back on the wagon. I still have 23 lbs to reach my initial goal weight, but plan to continue my journey. Good luck with what ever you decide, and congrats on your current weight loss.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i bought some fitness gear that i felt comfortable and confident in (sorta) early on in my fitness quest. I didnt really buy any new clothes until late summer last year because capri pant season was ending and being down around 15-20 lbs at that point, my old jeans were really getting too loose. Ok for the first few hours of day 1, but i usually wear my jeans a second day before i wash them and i was getting to the point where i could pull them down over my hips without unbuttoning them :glasses: I caught a good sale at the Gap --- a store i've never been able to shop in really -- got the jeans at half-price, so i convinced myself that buying FOUR pairs was reasonable because it was really the price of two. Size 16. I was EXSTATIC! And ya know what? I don't really think i believed at that point (around 208 lbs) that i would ever ACTUALLY reach my goal (which was 174 then). I mean, i never HAD reached it before, so i was being happy with my success and continuing on, but buying clothes as if they would be the size i'd wear for a while.... ummm .... no. I now own one pair of Gap 14s and one pair of Gap 12s. The 12s are now my favorite pair :) The 14s fit fine except they need a belt on the second day and yeah, i wear my 16s cinches up with a belt when i am home or when i'm behind on laundry. I must confess an addiction to buying fitness gear though. I have many many many tanks, jackets, capris, pants and sports bras. Like a LOT lol. I'm a SAHM so i wear fitness gear and/or jeans all the time... Hmmm trying to justify my addiction i suppose? lol! Anyways, i would say at 15-20 lbs you are definitely ready to get something new, especially if its a change in season and even if you have things in your closet that still fit. BUy SOMETHING that makes you feel great and confident but ummmm yeah, take it from me, don't go overboard. Those clothes will be in your donate pile before you know it LOL
  • jillcaudill
    jillcaudill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've just been thinking about this too. I just lost 22 pounds and my skinny jeans are falling off me! but I still have another 8 pounds to my goal weight. I'm thinking good will till I hit my goal. :)
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've just been thinking about this too. I just lost 22 pounds and my skinny jeans are falling off me! but I still have another 8 pounds to my goal weight. I'm thinking good will till I hit my goal. :)

Thats my plan too...ive already decided when i can no longer wear what i own (falling off my butt) then i will shop the second hand stores to get what i need...but once i have hit my goal, i will be buying a new wardrobe as a HUGE reward for all the effort it took to get em...i have lost 15 lbs too, but am not ready to start shopping...my pants are baggy on me but not yet falling off, sooooo....i will be hanging on just a bit longer...
  • fatgirlslim47
    Options
    I have lost 13lb and can honestly say my trousers are still fitting me and are still on the snug side, I am really begining to wonder how I ever got them on when I was 13lb heavier, but I did put a top on today that I havent been able to wear for over 12 months so I guess the weight is coming off my top half first. I can shop in my wardrobe for at least the next two sizes so wont need to hit the shops until at least winter....
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    When I lost 10 lbs, I went shopping at a second hand store in town (that was my reward to myself); I love to shop. I have gotten rid of all my 1X shirts, and have slowly started to get rid of my X-large. I am back into a Large shirt which I haven't worn in atleast 2 years. I got rid of all my 18 pants, and have gotten rid of some 16's. I can almost get into a 14 (and wear them in public). I am waiting until I get a little more off before actually going "shopping" again. Like someon else said, I am also going down my closet because I have different sizes in there. Good luck and keep up the good work. You are on the right track!!! I have to say though when I did go second-hand shopping it felt good to be in a smaller size (nice reward)

4714135.png
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I guess you have to really ask yourself.....are you at your goal weight now? If yes, then certainly you should reward yourself with a shopping trip! You deserve it. It sounds like you have made some great progress already. Personally, I like to set my goal weight and not purchase anything unless it's absolutely neccessary. Of course, if your clothes are too big, you need something that fits. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't buy a lot of clothing if you are still planning on losing. If you still want to lose more weight, you might just go to a thrift store and purchase items there. I've battled with weight most of my life and found that I like to go shopping for clothing that is a size or two too small. That way you have an even bigger reason to lose since you have nice clothes you can't wear just hanging in the closet lol. Sounds like you are definately doing what it takes:) I would wish you good luck but doens't take luck just hard work!:)
  • 40rocks
    Options
    i bought some fitness gear that i felt comfortable and confident in (sorta) early on in my fitness quest. I didnt really buy any new clothes until late summer last year because capri pant season was ending and being down around 15-20 lbs at that point, my old jeans were really getting too loose. Ok for the first few hours of day 1, but i usually wear my jeans a second day before i wash them and i was getting to the point where i could pull them down over my hips without unbuttoning them :glasses: I caught a good sale at the Gap --- a store i've never been able to shop in really -- got the jeans at half-price, so i convinced myself that buying FOUR pairs was reasonable because it was really the price of two. Size 16. I was EXSTATIC! And ya know what? I don't really think i believed at that point (around 208 lbs) that i would ever ACTUALLY reach my goal (which was 174 then). I mean, i never HAD reached it before, so i was being happy with my success and continuing on, but buying clothes as if they would be the size i'd wear for a while.... ummm .... no. I now own one pair of Gap 14s and one pair of Gap 12s. The 12s are now my favorite pair :) The 14s fit fine except they need a belt on the second day and yeah, i wear my 16s cinches up with a belt when i am home or when i'm behind on laundry. I must confess an addiction to buying fitness gear though. I have many many many tanks, jackets, capris, pants and sports bras. Like a LOT lol. I'm a SAHM so i wear fitness gear and/or jeans all the time... Hmmm trying to justify my addiction i suppose? lol! Anyways, i would say at 15-20 lbs you are definitely ready to get something new, especially if its a change in season and even if you have things in your closet that still fit. BUy SOMETHING that makes you feel great and confident but ummmm yeah, take it from me, don't go overboard. Those clothes will be in your donate pile before you know it LOL

Thank you for your reply. You cracked me up! I can definitely understand your affinity for fitness wear. I could go there too, especially now that my shape is coming back. I don't think I will buy anything yet. We'll see where I am when spring arrives. Well, maybe I'll buy some work out gear! LOL :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!