teas/ herbs to help with weight loss

hellokittyhorror
hellokittyhorror Posts: 70 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,
Yesterday I went over about 300 calories. I think this was because I was on the go and did a lot of snacking (albeit healthy snacking) here and there. I think it was also because I did not drink as much water. In addition to trying to hydrate more, I thought why not do so with some teas or herbs that would help my cause?

I found some good information on a website http://www.womenfitness.net/shed_pounds.htm for those seeking extra help from natural herbs and teas. I would love to know if anyone has had any success with theses. I am going to try some dandelion tea right now!

Here's some interesting info from the website:

Herbs that cause weight loss can be classified as:

Stimulants: encourage the body to burn more calories.
Diuretics: cause the body to excrete water through excess urine.
Cathartics: cause evacuation of the bowels, reduce calorie consumption by impeding full digestion.
Appetite suppressants: reduce hunger by expanding in the stomach, altering mood, or satisfying taste.

Replies

• susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    I didn't know all of these. I do like herbal teas just not Lipton tea. I'll drink them over the weekend and just "see". Thanks so much!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Yea- none of those things are really very *healthy* tho. I mean if you will take these you might as well just be taking diet pills, or OTC diuretics etc.

I mean does it *really* sound like a good idea to take a supplement that prevents you from completely digesting your food?

You are best off just trying to plan your snacking better or if you go over, try to be modestly under for a few days to balance out.

Just my $.02
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    decaf green tea, about an hour or more before workout I drink starbucks awake tea, coffee also works minus the cream and sugar of course and cayenne pepper capsules with a meal help.
  • mcurtis01
    mcurtis01 Posts: 22 Member
    Actually my doctor told me to start taking cinnamon as I am insulin resistant and i drink Green tea daily and I also take metamucil due to IBS. So they are not hoaxes and are Dr. recommended ways to aid in weight loss and digestion processes.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    eat healthy and you will be healthy. stimulants can also fall under some major drugs, ie. crack!
  • hellokittyhorror
    hellokittyhorror Posts: 70 Member
    2 cups of dandelion tea were successful in staving off snacking until lunch time! I put some cinnamon in it and that helped it taste much better. I also started doing my work instead of being on the computer with MFP and thinking about calories all the time :D

I'm not sure where the comments come from about herbs and/or herbal teas preventing digestion or even what those comments specifically refer to. Some teas actually enhance digestion. Much of this info. comes from Chinese medicine which dates back thousands of years, so I wouldn't discard that kind of knowledge! Everyone's entitled to their 2 cents, but we'll all have a more productive conversation if we take time to inform and clearly express ourselves. At the end of the day, you do whatever works for you. And dandelion tea worked for me and I just wanted to share!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    I'm not sure where the comments come from about herbs and/or herbal teas preventing digestion or even what those comments specifically refer to.

Your original post stated:
    Cathartics: cause evacuation of the bowels, reduce calorie consumption by impeding full digestion.

so that's where the full digestion part came from...
This discussion has been closed.