Bought asparagus...now what?

Options
I am new at the posting guys so bare with me...... =)

I bought some asparagus just now but I wanna make it healthy and something my kids will eat. Any ideas???

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    My daughter always put a little butter on hers or I would make a light chicken broth for here. Me, steamed or straight up.
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just add some sea salt and grill them.... if no grill then the oven would do ;)
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I LOVE roasted asparagus. But olive oil, salt, pepper, on the asparagus then put in oven at 350 for like 20-30min until done - so yum!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I LOVE asparagus microwaved in a Ziplock Steamer Bag with some "I can't believe it's not butter spray" and a little garlic pepper. YUM!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Send it to me please:wink:

If you have a Foreman grill, spray it with nonstick oil, sprinkle asparagus with garlic powder and grill for 4-5 minutes depending on how crunchy you like it ~ enjoy!
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    not so healthy but I saw that you can put a little olive oil, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese and bake for a few min.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    One of kids and my favorite veggie. I sometimes put it in a bag with some evoo and balsamic vinegar and garlic let it sit for a bit and grill it. Or just saute it up in a pan, can sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Last night I chopped it up and added to a stir fry. Also earlier in the week chopped it up and added it to some risotto. :) Mmmmm now I'm hungry. LOL
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Superbrad9
    Options
    Throw it away, asparagus is disgusting!!! :)
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Dunno how healthy (can't be too horrible though) it is but asparagus is amazing when you wrap it in a thin strip of steak and grill/cook it! We didn't really add anything else (though most of the recipes I'm looking at online right now have lots of other things added) when we did it and I loved it. I remember two or three were pretty filling.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    not so healthy but I saw that you can put a little olive oil, bread crumbs, and parmesan cheese and bake for a few min.

Get rid of the bread crumbs - and this is DELICIOUS (had it a couple nights ago).
    Also recommend grilling (but mix with peppers/onions so kids get used to it)
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I bake mine in the oven at 400 for 10-15 minutes with some cooking spray and Mrs. Dash and then sprinkle some lemon juice when they come out of the oven.

They are really good on the grill too with some red new potatoes
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Try marinating in balsamic vinegar. Then broil, grill, or steam. Remember to grab stalks from both ends and bend them until they snap then toss the lower part as it will be tough and chewy below the break.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I like mined baked or grilled, just put some olive oil some salt and pepper to season and done. My daughter loves them when we make them like this
  • cmchiappetta
    cmchiappetta Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I had asparagus last night...almost ate the whole bunch!

I steamed it and let it be. I really like asparagus plain-it has it's own flavor.

If you think it needs something extra, grilling it adds a little flavor and crunch.
    Olive oil is healthier than butter, but butter spray probably goes farther.

Also, I peel the last couple inches because it tends to be really tough (like broccoli stems). The inside is softer. Also, the thinner the asparagus, the more tender.

ENJOY!
  • sarahTV
    sarahTV Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just add some sea salt and grill them.... if no grill then the oven would do ;)

ditto, we eat grilled asparagus about 5 nights a week...the kids love it and say they are eating "tall trees" :laugh:
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hold your nose when you pee!!!

And I vote for the Foreman option. Nonstick spray it, cook it up, a little salt and pepper, and a dash of olive oil.
  • Dmonique85
    Options
    I agree, I put it in the oven with olive oil, fresh chopped garlic, s+p and broil it on low, turn over once. It's yummy & tastes grilled.:happy:
  • melbisher
    Options
    Olive oil,salt ,pepper and little bit of soy sause and bake for 15 min but leave them still a little crunchy so yummy!!:heart:
  • skynyrdchick
    Options