How do you keep your mind occupied while running?

Options
I'm just starting to train for a half marathon in September and I'm wondering what everyone does so they dont get bored while they're running. Both my 5K and my half both heavily discourage running with music, and I feel like I don't want to run with music. Any other thoughts? I don't really have anyone close that wants to train, so I don't have anyone to chit chat with (unless I start talking to my dogs...). Thanks!

Replies

• jadedjade24
    Options
    why no music, if I may ask.

And sometimes when I forget my music i just let my mind wonder. Running helps to clear my head and pretty soon I'm looking back at old memories, laughing to myself, thinking 'well, what if this happened instead?' lol, makes for some pretty interesting jogs!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I never run with music. Sometimes I just let my mind go clear and not think about anything. Other times I will think or plan things out in my head in regards to daily life. Sometimes I just focus on my stride or how my body is responding to that day’s run. Can I go faster, should I slow down?
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    audio books are great for me!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hahahahaha!!! rybo,I do that too! Yeah, it's a great time that you have all to yourself to just think about stuff!
  • EmilyClawser
    EmilyClawser Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run with music. It helps me keep a good pace. Why do they discourage it?
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Why do they discourage music? I've never heard of that before? Maybe it's a safety thing. I find the thing that helps me to most is to focus on my breathing, my form, footfalls, posture, etc. I like focusing on feeling my body work and getting a good pace going.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for a half and hate running without my tunes! But I do one mid range training run without music because I have a co worker who wants to run races and I have a feeling that she will be anti music.

I try just to focus on finding a rhythm and on my breathing and eventually my mind just wanders off.
  • seekingconfidence
    Options
    I run on a treadmill as opposed to outside, too much snow at the moment. I borrowed the first three seasons of Grey's Anatomy on DVD because I'd never tuned in years ago when it started. I only allow myself to watch them while I'm exercising and now I'm so addicted I just want to be in my gym all the time. I can't get off the thing because I just need to watch the next episode. I don't think about anything else, I just watch the show!
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I usually listen to music, but what I also find helps me is to imagine myself somewhere else. I usually picture myself in a forest or somewhere out in nature. It really helps.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    They probably discourage it for safety reasons. You can't hear a car coming or someone might attack you from behind!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I gotta ask why the discouragement to use music? :huh:
    I get up at 4 a.m. and run 3.5 + miles, 5 days a week. No one else at my house gets up this early so I use music.
    it not only keeps me company but It makes the running more fun! :drinker:
  • marciml
    Options
    Are you running on a treadmill or outside? I cannot stand running on the treadmill, but music on shuffle does help me. I will start to get bored, then one of my favorite songs comes on and I make myself pick up the pace and kinda "Dance-run" it gets me going again, usually for another 1/2 mile or so.

Outside is a different story. I love running outside and I frequently do not take my ipod. I like to hear what is going on around me, one for safety, but also just to take it all in. I let my mind just wonder when outside. I think of my guy and our possible future, or re-analyze my day....etc.

I friend of mine suggested downloading books on your ipod. She said its so easy to get lost in the story and forget about your running. I am yet to find a great site to do the downloading from, as I will not pay the price of a book for a download. Maybe someone has some good suggestions for that.

Best of luck!! I am hoping to do my first 10K at the end of June and 1/2 marathon in October!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Most races discourage use of personal listening devices, but don't enforce it. You can always train with music, and then run your races without it. You won't miss it on the 5k, but longer distance races will often have "boring" stretches..I'll do short runs without, music but HAVE to have it on my long runs.

I have however, run the Army 10 Miler twice now with no music. They discourage use of personal listening devices, and somewhat enforce it, so most people don't use them anyway. It is a VERY big race, so I think it comes down to being a bit of a safety issue. The first year I ran it by myself, but last year I had a friend to chat with through mile 9.

I also turn it down when I see crowds....THAT will get me pumped up. But that only works on race day :-)
  • newpalgal57
    Options
    If you are on the treadmill, TV is the only way to go. I try to use the commercials to speed up a bit. But out on the road, I spend time planning, thinking or praying. It seems like I can usually solve problems while on a run. But the best way to train is with a partner, even better TWO partners, in case one can't make it. It seems a bit early to be training for the September run, at this point you just need to get a good base or regular time running and then start upping your mileage in June or July. I see you are in IL, sure wish it was IN, I am looking for new running partners! Good luck!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's discouraged for safety reasons. To be honest, I've found that I don't run as well with music. I focus too much on what I'm doing. I find myself jammin away and loving a song, and then it's done and I'm like "what?!!? It's only been 3 minutes?!!!?!?". My other thing is that I do a decent amount of training at night due to my work schedule. I run with my two pit bulls, who couldn't hurt a fly if their lives depended on it, but do a good job of making me feel secure, so I'm not worried about that kind of safety.

... I've just never run this long before. I have a feeling I'm going to start having conversations with myself though. Before my interview for my current position, I went on a three mile run and ran through potential interview questions in my head. As she was asking them, I could distinctly remember where I was when I was thinking this before :laugh:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Im a music fan. My MP3 player is very diverese everything from the beatles to britney to rob zombie
  • MissChyna
    MissChyna Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Awww no music? I either make a different playlist each time on my iPod so I never get bored with the same songs or I use Pandora Radio as well for a variety. Sometimes I also listen to TV episodes of different comedy shows that I like so actually I stay entertained.

NPR News App always gets me by with the audio broadcasts....staying informed while jogging or working out motivates me too.

If I am outside...It sounds corny but I focus on nature. I just really embrace and check out my surrounding without concentrating so much on the time left in my run.

Everyone had some great suggestions....Good luck!
  • VBos
    VBos Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    They probably discourage it for safety reasons. You can't hear a car coming or someone might attack you from behind!
    When i run on the road i use my ipod but at a point where i can still hear a car coming. But when i trail run i get too sketched out to use music, thinking someone could come up behind me, even though i always take my dog. but its nice to have some good music to get you through that last mile or two.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I may be weird. But I tell myself stories.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    I'm cuckoo,if there is a mirror in front of me,I sing to myself in the mirror and smile,it keeps me motivated so far,regardless of how many people are in the gym at the time. LOL