TOTALLY DISCOURAGED!!!

Options
Well I am really discouraged. I am on day 37 and my weight loss has stopped. I have been the same weight (actually up about .5-1lb) for about two weeks. I know that a couple of weeks ago I had a couple of bad days, but I still logged it and kept going. I have increased my resistance/strength training but I have seen VERY LITTLE change in my body at all. I took measurements today (the last time I did was a week ago) in hopes of seeing some sort of difference but there was not much and I actually gained about 1.5 inches in my hips. I am doin the Shred every day and walking 1.5-3miles pushing a stroller and dragging my puppy =) And I am under my calorie goal for each day - but not too far under. I am really not sure what is happening but I am really discouraged. I'm not giving up ... but really not sure if this is normal. I have read that at weeks 6-8 for women is when they see a major change in their body and I am approaching that but not seeing it! My first 3 weeks I lost 11 lbs, and now nothing????! UGH

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I had a few months of no loss. Just keep doing what you are doing. 30 Day Shred builds muscle so you are probably getting more muscles and less fat. I don't lose every week now...usually about every 3rd week I have a loss. Just keep making changes for a healthier lifestyle...the rest will follow.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    walls and plataeus come and go, you just have to will your way through it sometimes. Congrats on the 11 pounds so far, and keep it up!
    As for getting over that hump, it can vary. Are you drinking enough water? Do you need to make some diet or exercise changes that will get you out of the rut? Some times just a little tweaking is all that is needed.
    Keep the faith and keep working at it, the effort is SOOOO worth it in the end!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I recently stalled out too. Just keep doing what you're doing and try weighing/measuring again next week. You probably didn't gain 1.5 inches around your hips, the position/tension of the measuring tape may have been different.
    42718 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have this same problem, but hang in there, it will eventually come off. I wish I could lose as fast as I put it on! Do you have a WII? I use the Dance 2 for exercise and it is fun and you don't really know you are exercising. Time goes by quickly. Keep going because there is a slim person in us that will come out someday!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    hang in there. I know that it's tough. My scale hasn't moved in weeks. Very frustrating. I think that you just need to stay the course and stick with you're not only doing this to lose weight but to get in better shape. Sometimes the shape thing takes awhile. :)

You can do it and you will reap the reward soon. :)
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    are you logging the exercise?

if not you may well be not eating enough and storing up the calories.

what have you got your amount you want to lose set to?
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't get discouraged.

Here's a couple of things you can try:

1- Take 1-2 days OFF from exercise completely.
    2- Up your protein for a few days. Like...double it. You'll see some weight gain, but then loss.
    3- CHANGE YOUR EXERCISE. The body gets used to a certain type of exercise after time. Maybe you should try something new. Get a zumba video or a belly dancing video. The fun of the change might help you out a lot.

Those are just a couple of suggestions.

Also, along with some other suggestions. While you should make sure you're drinking enough water, also make sure you're not drinking too much water. If your pee is always light, you're hydrated!
  • Jilli2010
    Options
    What is a Shred? Don't be too discouraged. You've hit a plateau where your body is getting used to the new patterns and reduced calories. It will kick into weight loss mode again. We all have those periods where there isn't immediate gratification, but patience and persistance will pay off in the bigger picture of things. Congratulations on the exercise and commitment to sticking to your plan. Keep up the great work. Jill
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Try Calorie Cycling. Eat a little over one day, a little under the next.. Basically, if you're on a 1200 diet, you want your week's total to be 8400.. Vary the calories in your week to achieve this number and you might shake out of this plateau.

Also, like someone else asked, are you logging your exercise? If you aren't getting enough calories in your day, it's going to stall your weight loss because your body is getting used to living off of the decreased amount of calories.

Good luck! We're here for you if you need us! Just don't give up.. We don't support that here! ;)
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Plataeaus make us all crazy but they are a part of the process. In the end it all averages out to about 1-2 lbs a week. If you had a quick 11 lb loss, things are just evening out. Right now I'm stuck at a 170 lb plateau. Before that it was was 173 plateau that lasted over a month. Several months before it was a 185 plateau (get my drift?). But overall I started changing my eating hapbits and exercising in May of 2010 and have lost 30 lbs so far. It's slow but what is happening is I am leading a different and more healthy lifestyle. I'm stonger and feel so much better than I did this time last year.

Just remeber that you are improving and getting stronger and developing great habits! It just may not be relfected on the scale or tape measure all the time. Good luck!
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    When you say "under my calorie goal for each day - but not too far under." what exactly is that? "Not too far" means different things to different people.
  • kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First of all thank every one of you to take time out of your day to encourage and help me.
    Ok some of you had questions. Here are answers to what I can remember:
    Yes I log all of my exercise and I make sure that my total Net calories is always around my daily allotted which is 1430, whether I work out or not.
    My weekly goal is set at 1.5lbs a week. My goal is 50lbs total by my daughters birthday in Late August (which 1.5 a week puts it).
    The Shred is a Jilian Michaels DVD, and I do vary day to day what I do. The shred and walking are the main two. I also have a total body sculpt video, a dance cardio video, I play Wii fit, and run, and once a week I play volleyball and Hike on the weekends with my family...basically I vary my workouts.
    I did recently up my protein because I am doing strength/resistance training...maybe it has to do with that...
    I also vary my diet. I eat lots and lots of whole foods. I eat fruits, vegetables, and protein every day. I try to eat a protein and a complex carb at every meal. I eat 5 small meals a day between 200-250 calories each and the total I snack on each day is 200-250 cals.I drink 8-10 cups of water a day (I drink only water, coffee in the morn, and tea -no soda no juice) I don't eat fast food and I try to avoid processed foods or foods containing preservatives. Overall I am trying to live a very healthy lifestyle.
    I guess I am in a plateau like a couple of you have said. I am happy to hear that it is common.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing everthing right! You just took a temporary stop in "Plateau Land". You are getting so strong and healthy! It feels great doesn't it?
  • Loribell23
    Options
    If you lost that much weight in the first 3 weeks- that is huge. Your body took a lot of weight off all at once. At this point, it's catching up. It's figuring out your new lifestyle and it's probably leveling off a bit. Start thinking positive and let go of your frustrations. Keep plugging along! If you do, it will pay off!! The pay off might now come tomorrow- but it WILL come.
  • cakeyrach
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. You've doe everything by the book, logging your food and drinking loads of water and hardly anything changes. This is danger time so you've got to be strong and just keep at it. It seems so slow doesn't it? But it will shift and hopefully stay off.

I'm with you!