Fruit vs. Sugar

Options
So I've been eating 1-2 pieces of fruit per day for the past week or so and it seems like I am always going over my sugar goal. It's very frustrating because I'm not eating any sweets and the only other food that continuously attributes to my sugar level is the soy milk I use as coffee creamer every morning.

I'm not only focussed on losing weight right now- I am also trying to make sure I avoid becoming diabetic because it runs in my family and the females always seem to acquire it around my age. So I'm trying very hard to be mindful of my sugar.

So... do I 86 the fruit or what? I really want the vitamins and nutrients they provide so I don't really want to cut them out of my diet. I'm also afraid that not eating fruit as breakfast and snacks will make me eat things higher in sodium... which is a whole different problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Vegetables?
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had the same prob so I quit watching my sugar intake because the only place it was coming from was fruit and I love fruit. I've still lost weight. Maybe try and see. If your not getting the results you want eliminate one piece of fruit a day,
  • amstein18
    Options
    Although the sugar is natural from fruit, it's still sugar! While not nearly as bad as the processed crap, you should still watch your intake. If you are over by just a bit don't sweat it though. Many nutritionists say to have only one piece of fruit a day and avoid fruit juice. Fruit is especially good post-workout to help deliver nutrients to your body so try to have it then... along with protein!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So I've been eating 1-2 pieces of fruit per day for the past week or so and it seems like I am always going over my sugar goal. It's very frustrating because I'm not eating any sweets and the only other food that continuously attributes to my sugar level is the soy milk I use as coffee creamer every morning.

I'm not only focussed on losing weight right now- I am also trying to make sure I avoid becoming diabetic because it runs in my family and the females always seem to acquire it around my age. So I'm trying very hard to be mindful of my sugar.

So... do I 86 the fruit or what? I really want the vitamins and nutrients they provide so I don't really want to cut them out of my diet. I'm also afraid that not eating fruit as breakfast and snacks will make me eat things higher in sodium... which is a whole different problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The sugars in fruit count toward your Carb total, not sugar. The grams of sugar in milk matches the grams of carbs because the carbs in milk is all sugar. Unfortunately MFP doesn't separate the natural from the added. I always check my foods and only count up the added sugar grams. I have my sugar set at 25g and I only count the added sugars.

I've been trying to create my own foods and removing the natural sugars (milk, fruits, etc). But it can get tedious.

USDA has a daily intake of 1 cup of fruit for a 1200 calorie diet. That's two servings.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    there is a huge difference between the sugar in fruit and the sugar in sweets. I ignore good sugar which is found naturally in fruit but avoid added sugar x
  • promiseskept
    Options
    Fruit is better than the refined sugar and it has other vitamins the body needs.
    I would check with my DR and see what is a healthy amount of natural sugars you should eat.
  • anamercedez
    Options
    I dont even document my fruit because its natural sugar,so I just let it go.
  • jennlee80
    Options
    I just moved from Winter Park, FL!! Anyway :smile: I don't think getting rid of fruit is needed! I myself eat about 1 or 2 per day. I could eat it all day. But I stick to 1 or 2! The problem with MFP is that it doesn't show the difference between a twinkie or a cup of berries! So, no I personally wouldn't 86 it!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Fruit sugar is fine because it's natural sugar. It's when you start adding sugar to your foods or eating foods that contain alot of sugar that you have to be careful. Go ahead eat your fruit it's good for ya!!
  • allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    Options
    Eat em! They are so so good for you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    FYI, a banana by itself is considered 2 servings of fruit, so you are eating 2-3, not 1-2. If you eat 5 servings or fruit and veggies, the majority should be from veggies. So with 5 serving the most that you should get from fruit is 2, so 3 or 4 should be from veggies on a diet that consist of 5 servings.
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    Fruit is great for you - don't quit on it! It has so many nutrients that your body loves.

It is recommended we have 5 a day - usually 3 servings of veggies and 2 servings of fruit - for better health. If you are choosing fruit than the office donut or afternoon snack chocolate chip cookie, continue doing it! Remember that fruit - especially certain fruits like watermelon and strawberries - are made mostly of water and not the pure sugar that encourages diabetes. You can help stabilize your blood sugar levels if you continue eating fruit, but add some lean protein to it. Some suggestions would be low-fat string cheese, half cup of cottage cheese, a scrambled or boiled egg, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    I know that if you sign up for weight watchers points plus now fruit and veggies don't count towards your daily "points" which really is how it should be cuz 120 cal from a grapefruit or 120 from a brownie? hmm.... I wonder which is better
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruits is fructose which is a monosaccharide...the basic foundation of important carbohydrates. Fruits offer an abundance of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants! They are considered a "nutrient dense" food and they SHOULD be a part of your daily diet! Fresh fruits are best! You can't eat all the fruits you want though, it is still important to keep to the proper portion sizes.

When choosing fruits, please be mindful of portion sizes and keep servings to 2 - 3 per day (1 - 2 per day is great!). A few basic thoughts regarding portion sizes are that apples and oranges should be about the size of a tennis ball (stay away from the super sized fruits....they are much more than a portion size), a serving of strawberries or grapes should be about the size of your fist (a cup), a banana should be approximately 5 inches or less, pears about the size of a light bulb.

Berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, cranberries) have lower amounts of fructose than do other fruits. Bananas, pears, and grapes have higher amounts. A portion size of berries is an entire cup! So you get more bang for your buck. MFP does not distinguish between natural sugars and added sugars. Fruits are an essential component to a healthy and balanced diet.

Due to the fact that your family history increases your risk of type II diabetes, you may wish to try to stick with fruits that have a lower glycemic index (less fructose) such as the berries mentioned above. However, the BEST way to lower your risk of type II diabetes is to get back to a healthy weight and to stay active.

One last tip before I go, always pair your fruits with a source of protein (cheese cubes, peanut butter, nuts) as this keeps your blood sugar more stabilized. :)

Hope this helps!
  • savethecat
    savethecat Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! Amazing advice.

I had no idea a banana was 2 servings of fruit, and I see the difference now between the refined sugar and the natural sugar coming from the fruit.

I'm thinking I'll stick to the fruit because I love it and it makes my body happy, but I'm just going to watch it closely and make sure I don't OD on it. I won't eat it for breakfast EVERY morning. I'll add in some variation, but still treat it as a good snack.

Again, thanks so much for the encouragement and advice! This community is making this big life change so much easier for me.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Although the sugar is natural from fruit, it's still sugar! While not nearly as bad as the processed crap, you should still watch your intake. If you are over by just a bit don't sweat it though. Many nutritionists say to have only one piece of fruit a day and avoid fruit juice. Fruit is especially good post-workout to help deliver nutrients to your body so try to have it then... along with protein!

I agree!!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! Amazing advice.

I had no idea a banana was 2 servings of fruit, and I see the difference now between the refined sugar and the natural sugar coming from the fruit.

I'm thinking I'll stick to the fruit because I love it and it makes my body happy, but I'm just going to watch it closely and make sure I don't OD on it. I won't eat it for breakfast EVERY morning. I'll add in some variation, but still treat it as a good snack.

Again, thanks so much for the encouragement and advice! This community is making this big life change so much easier for me.

A banana is only considered 2 servings if it is large. That's part of the problem in the market. Even fruits are oversized these days! If you love bananas and can't find smaller ones, just cut them in half. Or you could do like I do and look for small ones. Sometimes that's difficult to find though!

Best wishes to you! I'm so pleased you are mindful of you health and willing to make changes to lower your risk! That's AWESOME! I'm a nutrition professional (have my degree in nutrition....hope to pass my exam and will be registered in a few weeks) so its very exciting to meet people who are working to become more mindful of what they eat. STay cool!