Need a Little Motivation..

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm in college and I've had a super crazy week of exams and I know tonight and tomorrow night all of my friends are going to binge drink any academic thought away.. Normally, I would be right there with them.. I am really trying to lose 2 pounds a week and I weighed myself today and I had gone up almost a pound which was extremely discouraging. Maybe it has something to do with stress? Anyways, I just need a little support and advice to get me through this weekend and still make my goal (or at least not gaining any weight!).

Replies

• HLRoberts1987
    HLRoberts1987 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you eat and depending on when you weigh. If you eat alot of sodium you are going to retain water which will show you gained weight. it is just water weight and will go away. Also if you weigh after you've eaten you are weighing yourself and the foot you just ate. I am pretty sure that your body can fluctuate between 3-5 pounds depending on different variables. Dont get discouraged just remember your goals and alot of alcoholic drinks have alot of calories and carbs. So my advice to you is just remember your goals that you want and drinking wont get you there. you can do this!! :o)
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ice water! That way if you get frustrated you can chomp the ice!
  • HeyBulldog2011
    HeyBulldog2011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You may have gone up a pound based on gaining muscle from any exercise you are doing...make sure to take measurements because it may not show up on the scale but it will probably show up on a tape measure.
    This weekend why don't you ask a friend or two to go to the gym with you a couple of times. Maybe you can start a new weekend thing of working out together.... :D
  • promiseskept
    Options
    M64 is a nice drink that can be fit into your food 'budget' but I would stay within your caloric intake and it will hit the carbs as well. As far as the weight gain, there is a 3 lb fluctuation around the menstrual cycle that is gained in most women, so if it before you flow, consider that if you have adhered to your plan.
    Stay true to yourself!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I would say planning will be your biggest friend if you want to go out with your friends. Make room in your cals for a drink or two and nurse them a bit. Or do a big workout the day after to make up for what you drink the night before.

I would like to take a quick second to address your goals though- I think they may be too high. Is your calorie goal from MFP 1200? If it is, chances are you are not eating enough to fuel your body and it may be having issues with starvation mode.

Feel free to PM me or friend me- if I can see your diary I can make much more specific recommendations. I know it seems like it will take forever at 1lb a week- but trust me, I started right around where you are last January (185 Jan 1 2010) and through patience and commitment, I managed to lose weight and keep up with school, career, friends and bf. If I can do it (and others can do it) - I know you can!
  • mgriffin51
    mgriffin51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A few pounds could easily be contributed to water weight. Make sure you weigh at the same time every day if you want an accurate reading. Alcohol is really high in calories so it is a good decision not to binge drink with your friends. Good for you for making that choice. And it is because you can make choices like that and stick with them that you will succeed in your weight loss! Bring a water bottle with you to drink instead. Maybe put a little bit of lemon or cucumber in it to give it some flavor. And good luck!
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    oh the stresses of college, I remember those days fondly:smile: The gym at my college was open late so while my friends were all drinking, sometimes I just went to the gym. Of course, they used to call me the gym nazi and make fun of me! If I was in your situation, I would not go out until you saw the results you wanted and maybe go out the next weekend. I know i should be the good person and say that the binge drinking is bad bad, but I used to do it too I just cut back the last 2 years when I started eating healhty and working out. I am sure you'll do what is right for you.
  • debbieweis
    Options
    Hey girl... chin up!! Just remember to prioritize your food and drink this weekend just as you would your time. If you know you'll be stepping out of "diet world" for a bit, try and drink a glass of water in between cocktails. You might be surprised how much of the weekend you'll actually remember and I know you'll feel better on Sunday Morning!!
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Stress can also lead to a bit of weight gain. When you have high amounts of stress, your body releases hormones into your body that when the levels stay up fo a while, can lead to weight gain. Here's an article about it:

http://stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/weightgain.htm

So, now that your finals are done, you should bounce back to normal. =)
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm in your position too and sometimes you have to sacrifice some things, like going out and drinking a lot, in order to reach your goals. It sucks, but every time I drink I feel like I set myself back to square one because drinking also involves eating late night food. Just have to figure out what's most important to you and true friends will support you with what you decide.