Cracked Heels

Options
Hiya guys since I have started this new eating and exercise regime I have got badly cracked heels to the point that last night i had a small cut in one of them any ideas on how to help this and stop it happening again

Replies

• helenamonks
    Options
    I'm not really sure, but mine started peeling and cracking also, when you find out, let me know!
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I know this is gonna sound strange because usually As seen on TV things are junk but Heeltastic is amazing for cracked heels. I've always had them and they get pretty bad (I generally wear flip flops or go barefooted at all times if I can) so I was willing to try anything last year, the pain was so bad so I bought some at Walgreens. I haven't looked back since, its like instant relief on my heels when they crack. It smells kinda strongly and you might want to be careful waking afterward if sockless but its totally worth it.

Other than keeping your heels moisturized I don't know a way to stop them from cracking, I don't think my exercising has ever made my heels crack more than they normally do.
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    i havnt had this problem.... but try moisturising them just before bed every nite and after bathing/showering in mornings.....

hope this helps

best wishes
    Kirstie x
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    put shea butter or some heavy lotion on my feet before putting socks on, it's an easy habit to follow :-)
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Before I go to bed I put vasaline on my feet and then put on socks. In the morning.....pretty, soft feetsies :-)
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    My mother always swore by Bag Balm, a salve to soothe irritation on cows' udders after milking. Vaseline overnight can help too.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    When you are getting ready for bed, try using a very thick lotion (I use Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream); be generous then slip on some socks. By morning they will be better, but you will probably have to do it a couple night a week. Also, because of the wintery dry weather you need extra moisturization.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I suffered from cracked heels for years. They can be quite painful. :sad: Get one of those ped eggs or some other foot file. File them down good and then moisturize them heavily with a creme made for feet, then put on some of those spa socks and then wear them to bed. Moisturize after your shower in the morning, too. Bed Bath & Beyond sells these awesome socks that have shea butter infused in them. They had them hanging on strips by the registers. About $10 for a pair. (totally worth it) The shea butter lasts through 15 washings, but I don't wash them until after a few wearings since my feet are clean when I wear them and just to bed. Also, they are so soft and sooooo comfortable. Then in the morning moisturize them after showering and wear socks when you can.

My doctor also once game me a prescription for the generic lamisil tablets that helped not only my toenails, it helped to mostly clear up the recurring dry cracked skin. Ask your doctor if that could help you. Good luck!!! :bigsmile:
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    My husband has had this for years, as well as cracked fingers. It is terribly painful. If this is a change for you since you started exercising and eating better, then it may be an internal problem. Stay super hydrated and try taking vitamins E, D and a B complex. You may be lacking in something now that you were getting before (though that is unusual.) Sand down the dry areas daily and moisturize morning and night, and buy some gel inserts for your shoes to lessen the impact your heals take. And let me say again, stay super-hydrated, drink beyond thirst for a while, shooting for 10-12 glasses a day, plus another glass for every 30 minutes spent sweating. If these things don't help, see a dermatologist to determine if it is something more serious than dry, abused skin.
  • rdy2begin
    Options
    Lots of moistorizer I love to be barefoot in the summer but it took a toll on my feet so now before bed I always put lotion or vaseline and put socks on before I go to bed it helps also a foot soak helps to remove any dead skin hope this helps :)
  • rdy2begin
    Options
    Lots of moistorizer I love to be barefoot in the summer but it took a toll on my feet so now before bed I always put lotion or vaseline and put socks on before I go to bed it helps also a foot soak helps to remove any dead skin hope this helps :)
  • jennigriff
    Options
    My mother always swore by Bag Balm, a salve to soothe irritation on cows' udders after milking. Vaseline overnight can help too.

Do this and put some socks on before you go to bed. It works.
  • NuclearGirl
    Options
    :smile: All the above tips are good - I use one of those foot file things and gently 'sand down' the hard skin. Then I use Flexitol Heel Balm and a pair of cotton socks - you notice a difference in a couple of days. Wonderful stuff!
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I had cracked heels for 8 years until I tried "Working Hands" : http://www.okeeffescompany.com/ It's some kind of "manly" moisturizer that cured them in a few DAYS. It's awesome. I found it at Fred Meyer on the west coast, but maybe Target?