Going over my sugar goal (but from fruits)

Options
it seems that these past few days my totals on protein and sugar have exceeded what MFP is telling me to consume (especially on the sugars). The thing is that I don't consume any sweets or bad stuff.....all the sugar is coming from fresh fruits which I eat for mid day snacks. Should I limit my fruit intake and snake on other stuff, or just ignore what MFP is telling me?

Would love anyones feedback....

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    eat fruits with the lowest glycemic index such as strawberries NOT grapes; google for more info and good luck!
  • hlgehman
    hlgehman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am trying to follow the suzanne sommers eating plan and I can only have fruit in the morning or 3 hours after I eat a meal because of how your body process the sugars with you eat them with other foods. But I don't have to limit them just not eat them with anything else.
  • Debnva
    Debnva Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I go over on the sugar every single day. But, I never add sugar to anything(I use Splenda sparingly). It is always the fruit that puts me over. Anybody have any advice on this?
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    I use to calculate my sugar in take and was told that I shouldnt even keep track of sugar, because most of mine was from fruits going over also. So now I just track cal, carb, fat, protein, and sodium. And with the protein I was also told that MFP amount for that is low so not to worry about going over on that.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    My doctor (who uses MFP and recommended it to me) told me not to worry at all about the sugars in fruits. She said the nutritional benefits of the fresh fruits are far more important. But I'm a healthy, active person with a pretty decent diet overall and nowhere near being diabetic - which might make it a while other ballgame. I don't know about that at all.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic don't worry about it. Natural sugars are alright (again, unless you're diabetic) but MFP does not separate those from added sugars.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    it seems that these past few days my totals on protein and sugar have exceeded what MFP is telling me to consume (especially on the sugars). The thing is that I don't consume any sweets or bad stuff.....all the sugar is coming from fresh fruits which I eat for mid day snacks. Should I limit my fruit intake and snake on other stuff, or just ignore what MFP is telling me?

Would love anyones feedback....

Don't go crazy on fruit but understand that the natural sugars in fruit count towards your Carbs goal, not sugar. Too much can easily put you over on carbs. According to the USDA, a 1200 - 1300 calorie diet will consist of 1 cup of fruit (around 2 servings) and 1.5 cups of veggies (3 servings). I like to try and stick with that but don't always meet the fruit goal.

Last night I had a serving a blueberries (frozen) and drizzled some honey over them for a little extra sweetness. That was my nighttime snack. Of course I would've been good had it not been for the honey but I had a sweet tooth last night so I went over in carbs by the exact amount in honey and went over in sugar by 6g. I have my sugar set at 25g (added only).
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    You want to keep your daily intake from sugar under 50 grams of fructose. After this, your liver is full and will start storing the extra sugar as fat.

Here is a link to a handy little table on fruits and their sugar content - enjoy!

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/fruits_table.html
  • size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    :heart: I use to live off a huge bowl of fruit for breakfast every morning, I find that the sugar in fruit really helped with my headakes due to a brain opperation. at one stage I was eatting fruit in the afternoon as well, this was a NO-NO. I was putting on weight. they say you shouldn't eat fruit at evening meals or subsitute fruit for vegetables. You should eat vegetables for your evening meal as the sugars in veg aren't so high.
  • dianam1973
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great responses!!