Need help with plateau!!!

Options
Okay, I've searched the message boards for advice and I'm pretty much seeing the same stuff....
1) change things up with food and exercise - CHECK!
2) add strength training - CHECK!
3) Get plenty of sleep - NOTED (I have a 6 month old so, I do my best with this one)
4) Drink plenty of water - CHECK!
5) Eat your exercise calories- DOUBLE CHECK! (I love eating!)

Now here's the deal. I've been trying to lose my pregnancy weight since October with very little success (most of it came off on it's own, leaving me with about 15 very stubborn lbs to go). Yes, I love eating but I eat VERY nutritiously and always have (lots of veggies, lean meats, etc.) I struggle to drink enough water but I almost always manage to do it. I eat a very low sodium diet. I've been doing the 30 day shred (just moved up to level 3) at least 4 days a week (5-6 times a week unless my son is cranky). My calories are set to 1760, so not too low and I RARELY go over. Granted, my efforts have not been wasted...My endurance is getting better and better, my arms have toned up nicely, I feel stronger and more energetic, but DANG! My goal is to lose 1 pants size...just ONE! And I would think 4 months would be ample time, but NOOOOO! So please, HELP! I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and I'm looking for fresh ideas. I especially want to hear from people who have had this problem and managed to bust through the plateau. Thank you!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you using an HRM to calculate calories burned? If not you may only want to eat 50-75% of the exercise cals.
  • thebigboy
    Options
    I would say to maybe lower the calorie intake to around 1550. This should force your body to intake a bit less, and you should see a difference from it.
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Try changing your caloric intake every 3-4 days. Like 3 days eat 1600, then 3 days eat 1200, then 1800 and so on. I find this helps me when I hit a wall. Keeps the body guessing and from going into starvation mode.
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I agree, I'm 6'0 tall and my calorie intake is set at 1350
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've heard a lot about the starvation mode thing, that's why my calories are not set incredibly low, but it's significantly low for my height...I'm 6'4". I have heard of zig zagging calories....I'll have to give it a try. Thanks, I'm sure it couldn't hurt. Keep the ideas coming folks, I need help!
  • libgrl
    libgrl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've lost about 15 lbs since the summer, but having a hard time losing the 10 more lbs I would like to lose. Even when I was running 30 to 40 miles per week a couple of years ago I never seemed to get under the weight I am now, although I was doing a lot of strength training at the time and had a decent amount of muscle and was only about 19% body fat. Right now I am 32 years old, 5 feet 4 inches and weigh between 129 lbs and 131 lbs depending on time of day and time of month. I am not overweight, but still would like to get down to about 120 lbs. I work out 5-7 days per week....usually doing elliptical for an hour at a pretty vigorous pace....burning about 600 calories. I also swim about 3 days per week...I usually do about a mile in the pool....64 laps, burning around 600 calories again. In the summer I bike about 40 to 55 miles outside on a Saturday, and do some 20 milers a few times per week in the evenings after work. I was also running a bit in the summer, but have a back injury and tendinitis in my Achilles, as well as IT band problems from all those years of running. I am thinking about trying the Vibram Five Finger barefoot running shoes...I've heard they have helped a lot of people. I love running. I was/am good at it and I have good cardio...my last V02 max test was 53. I miss it terribly. In addition to all this I do strength training about 2 times per week and back strengthening and core exercise about 4 or 5 times per week to strengthen my back and help my back injury. Oh, and during the winter I do about 2-3 cycling classes per week....burning around 600-700 calories.

I also eat very, very healthy....hardly any white sugar ever, very little white flour, only good carbs...whole grain, oatmeal, brown rice. I do not eat any fast food almost ever, except for maybe Panera...in which I try to choose the healthiest option. I have not eaten at places like McDonald's or Burger King since 1994....no joke. I read health and fitness books all the time, as well as experimenting with healthy recipes. I am a Librarian and have a very sedentary job, but I am hoping I make up for it with my activity and healthy eating habit.

So, I must be doing something wrong since I can't peel off these last 10 lbs....help! Again, I have a few injuries, so I can't do anything too crazy, although I would if I didn't have these injuries. I love cardio and use to feel like I could run forever....I would only have to stop because my feet became sore. I use to be able to do 42 push ups in a row, but after I herniated the disc in my back, I stopped a lot of things for two years due to the pain in my back. I started to improve finally about 6 months ago, which is when I started exercising again and lost 15 lbs.

So, any suggestions????
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    1 word....HORMONES!
  • libgrl
    Options
    So what to do about the hormones???
  • libgrl
    Options
    How did you get down to 115?
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I recently had this problem. This girl gave me the advice to take 1 day and PIG OUT. If you want brownies, eat brownies. If you want pizza, eat pizza and so on. I am allowed 1540 calories a day and I said I would eat 2000 minimum. I ate 2300 and something calories that day. She said the next day she gained a pound and then the day after dropped that pound and THEN some. That happened to me! I gained 1 pound the next day and then dropped 2 the following day. I am now back on track with no plateau and losing weight. Your body needs to be tricked and your metabolism needs a kickstart by shocking it.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had a little wedding weekend bump happen to me. It wasn't planned, but I went to a wedding and well no graceful way to say it, pigged out. Good food, good wine, great people I dare you not to go a little mad. Anyway back on point the next week I was down 2lbs instead of my usual 1lbs. It was strange. I'm not calling scientific but it did work, somehow. just a thought.
  • libgrl
    Options
    Hmm, maybe I will go back and have that extra muffin tonight :)
  • DixieDarlin1987
    Options
    I had a pig out day! We'll see what happens! Keeping my fingers crossed that it gets me going again!
  • libgrl
    Options
    Ok, so I had a pig out day as well and two days later I was down to 128....my lowest weight so far!
  • DixieDarlin1987
    Options
    Good job! After my pigout day I reached my lowest weight also...189! Yay! Not my lowest weight EVER, but it was the first time I've seen the 180's since high school. I'm very close to reaching my goal of 180-185 lbs. I guess that's why it's so difficult to lose these last few pounds. I hope it stays off! So, once in a while I am going to start having a pigout day just to keep things moving.
    Ok, so I had a pig out day as well and two days later I was down to 128....my lowest weight so far!
  • libgrl
    Options
    Excellent! Keep up the good work!
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I agree with having a cheat day break the plateau..but I think you are eating WAY too much, I know you are tall, but 1600-something seems high plus you eat your exercise cals. I TRY not to eat my exercise cals unless I am starving. and I at 1200 daily, instead of bumping up your cals, try dropping it to 1400 and then maybe eating you exercise cals. I have lost 8 pounds in 9 weeks doing it this way..but I am diffidently no pro, lol...Good luck!!!!!!! <3
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    I agree with having a cheat day break the plateau..but I think you are eating WAY too much, I know you are tall, but 1600-something seems high plus you eat your exercise cals. I TRY not to eat my exercise cals unless I am starving. and I at 1200 daily, instead of bumping up your cals, try dropping it to 1400 and then maybe eating you exercise cals. I have lost 8 pounds in 9 weeks doing it this way..but I am diffidently no pro, lol...Good luck!!!!!!! <3

But if she's breastfeeding then she would certainly need all of those calories....I'm not saying she is for sure, but with a son so young it would definitely be possible.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    Options

But if she's breastfeeding then she would certainly need all of those calories....I'm not saying she is for sure, but with a son so young it would definitely be possible.

I am still.