Addicted to scale?

Options
I've recently started my weight loss journey - YET again, and once again I am - ADDICTED TO THE SCALE. I weigh first thing in the morning, after my bath, as soon as I get home from work, after exercise, after dinner etc..

While I've launched many "lose weight" campaigns, I've never gotten past 10lbs of weight loss because I'd get discouraged with my daily progress. I know I should lose the scale, and only check once a week or so, but I'm not sure I can stick with that plan! sigh.

Can anyone else relate to me? Am I crazy :-) ?
Thanks Guys!

Replies

• mallymoo86
    mallymoo86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Totally not crazy. I can't seem to stay off the scale. I know I should but I don't know how. Hopefully someone will have some good ideas so that I can see the big picture and not all the little disappointments in between.
  • misshenn78
    Options
    You are not alone! I do the same thing!! However, I only actually track on my counter once a week! (Same time) It's really not moving as fast as I'd like it either - but, keep it up girl!!
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I was like that FOR MONTHS but have finally gotten into the habit of weighing just once per day right when I wake up!

Try to focus on inches lost/measurements & overall health & how you feel instead of just the scale...I know it's hard but the scale can be deceiving; you may stay the same weight but be losing inches!!! You can do it! You're not crazzzzy :laugh:
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same exact way on my last diet. I feel like however it will only hurt and discourage you because your body weight will fluctuate during the day. Plus it is more exciting if you wait the week and then step on and see the difference.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself first thing monday and morning only, before you eat or drink in your birthday suite. Then put the scale away till the next weigh in. 2 times is plenty.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    PS IT is not always about the number on the scale.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I feel like I am addicted. But that's the only time of the day that I do it. You may get frustrated (as I am lately), if/when the scale stops moving for a few days. Did you take measurements? If not, you should! I did and I can't wait to re-measure cause I know I've lost some inches at least. Try to focus more on that...although I know it's hard!!
  • _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    I put my scale away..... in a cupboard.... under a bunch of stuff..... and try and only take it out once a week. I find if it's not staring at me everyday I don't have as much of an issue with it.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Take the scale out of your bathroom (or where ever it is) and put it someplace inconvenient, where it is out of your way and not exactly easy to quickly weight yourself. You naturally yo-yo though the day and though the week, so you accomplish nothing by frequent weighing other than feeling false disappointment when it goes slightly up and false satisfaction when it goes slightly down.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Statistically, men lose weight better if they weigh every day, women once a week.

If you are going to weigh once a day you have to keep your eye on the trend, not the actual values...

The "easiest" way to do this is to record all your readings on a spread sheet, and plot all the morning values against the date as an XY scatter plot. Turn off the line linking the dots, and right click on a dot and choose "Add Trendline"

I find type "polynomial" order 5 does quite well.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was like that too (and I'm not really sure why because I KNEW that it would vary so insanely during the day that I'd just ignore the later in the day measurements too!)

I joined the "Death to the Scale" February so I wouldn't cheat. I packed up my scale and haven't hopped on it once (although I did sneak a peek when I put the scale away, even though that was in the month of Feb!)

I hope to see a nice lower number when I get on that scale again on March 1st!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Who's stronger? You or the scale? I would bet money that you can be stronger than the scale. You just have to discipline yourself to stay off of it. Please please only weigh once a week max. In the morning, after a good night's sleep, after using the bathroom, before eating or drinking, and naked. Same scale, same spot (hard floor). That is probably why you get discouraged because you kept weighing. You are hurting yourself emotionally when you continuously weigh. I weigh only on Saturday mornings under those above conditions. I've been doing this for a while now, and it's been working great. Don't give up on yourself, hon. You owe it to yourself. Don't let a machine stop you. :flowerforyou:
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    sooo addicted! i weigh every day. it's frustrating because my weight goes up about 5 lbs a week before and during that time of the month. it's very discouraging and that's usually the time where i quit diets because i think it's not working. i know i'm not going to stop weighing myself for those couple weeks, but i have to at least tell myself not to get upset and the weight will come off again soon.
  • mmariano
    Options
    That was me.! I rarely weigh myself now. I will make an effort this Sunday. I am so afraid of not seeing a lose that I don't want to set myself up for failure. I know that I will lose and I have confience in following a plan but frankly a women's hormone activity can alter your progress if you look daily.
    I'm new to this site, as of yesterday, and I love it.....I can not only watch my calories and carbs I can now watch my fiber and cholesterol too.
    Maybe you can give yourself a surprise after your once a week weigh in!
    Let me know how you make out.
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily - once in the morning. That's it. Body weight fluctuates too much during the day to get accurate readings all day long. Pick a time of day and stick with it. One time I weighed myself in the morning and then again at night. There was a 5 lbs difference! The next morning I weighed again and I was back down under my morning weight from the day before. I stressed myself over nothing!

I just view the scale as a positive tool for monitoring my progress. If it goes up a little bit then I know I need to keep eating right (or eat better if I have been cheating!) and depending on how much gain I might switch up my workout. Try picking a time to weigh in and stick with it. You can break your obsession with the scale! :)
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am addicted like you are but I suggest only doing it one time a day!! And make it the same time everyday ( I do mornings). But instead of gettting discouraged, you can look but only record a weekly weight change!! So you may not lose anything for a few days, but after you look back at your week you might find that you did lose!!
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Since I am not seeing results and almost want to give up, I've decided to put my scale away and not weigh myself until Tuesday. It's gonna be hard but I have to do it. It's not fair to my husband when I have a bad weigh in, that I am soo moody and unhappy! I think I will be better half just doing it twice a week. I might even have him hide the scale so I can't find it!
  • ccbapt53
    ccbapt53 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! :smile:

My scale is going away tonight and not coming out until my next goal check! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to respond to me.

Good luck with your weight loss.