Calories from supermarket samples don't count, right?

Options
So I went to H-mart (it's a giant asian supermarket chain on the East Coast, for those who aren't savvy) and I was shopping and trying to make good decisions on what to buy... but every aisle had at least three sample tables! I hate the weekends at H-mart because I could (and have in the past) eat a whole meal on samples alone.

I was (comparatively) good and only had a few samples. Someone make me feel better about this, instead of the guilt I feel for eating fried dumplings and steamed bean buns! I have no idea how to add this to my calorie total for the day :(

Replies

• caburk02
    caburk02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    And what is the deal with these carb cravings? I never used to be a big carb nut, but right now I am literally salivating at the thought of eating a plain piece of bread. I had to snap a rubber band on my wrist in the bread aisle to keep myself from buying anything.
  • msjohnston
    msjohnston Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have had a rule for years to Never Ever eat from a sample table in a grocery store (OK well...coffee). I watch as we Americans crowd around those freebies and I know how we all got in the shape were in. Unless your really thinking about buying that product I would stay far far away! :-)
  • flossicle
    Options
    No calories @ all..and it's the same if you shake chocolate, the calories all fall out then and every1 knows caloires consumed thru alchohol or @ weekends don't count either :laugh:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have had a rule for years to Never Ever eat from a sample table in a grocery store (OK well...coffee). I watch as we Americans crowd around those freebies and I know how we all got in the shape were in. Unless your really thinking about buying that product I would stay far far away! :-)

I have to say - I hate Costco for this. Have you ever notice they don't sample the fruit or vegetables?

I'm germaphobic enough that I the fact there is no handwashing station and they reuse things over and over freaks me out enough to have never tried a sample. They don't have proper food handling techniques at all.

It is entertaining to watch how many times one person will return to the table though.
  • caburk02
    caburk02 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Never tried a sample?!

OMG, samples are always SO much better than anything I make at home. And H-mart always has awesome stuff: gyozas, spicy broths with tofu, pot stickers and dumplings, ice cream bars, kim chi of every kind you can imagine, and even booze! Yes, even booze. Everyone knows that the alcohol kills the germs, so you don't have to worry about the booze samples (that's what the catholic church has been saying about the communal wine cups for centuries).

You guys have a lot more self-control than me, apparently. Then again, I am a poor college student, so the allure of free stuff is far greater on me than you gainfully employed types.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can't eat the samples. I don't know what customers might have inadvertantly touched it or their kids or any number of horrible things. (Yup-irrational, but it does keep me away from them!)